PDA

View Full Version : Went house shopping today.

Aren Jay
02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
What a disappointment.
Bungalow (one level plus basement)
1987 sq feet on the main level.

1454 sq feet in the finished basement.

The main level had 12 foot ceilings and the rooms where all blocked by something big and ugly. The living and dining room seperated by a floor to ceiling double sided fireplace. 12 feet wide and 4 feet deep. 3 feet away from the bedroom door arch which is a double arch one round and one square. Smallish masterbedroom with onsuite and a huge bathtub but no way to get into it. sink on each side blocking the tub. Faucet and taps on the open side. it was oval shaped. () like this.

Kitchen had cupboard everywhere but they went right to the ceiling. 12 foot ceiling. I would need a ladder to get a cup off the top shelf.

1 bedroom on the main floor an odd layout.

There is a two car garage and a one car garage on the other side, but it was so narrow the Marauder would not fit through the door. My friend said it was for the lawn mower. If a Marauder won't fit a boat wouldn't fit in it.

The lawn was a patch 2 feet wide between two stone tracks leading to this thrid garage, the rest was concrete except a small 2 foot wide piece out back and 32 feet long. Maybe 2 feet on each side as well. Neighbouring house right next door, 4 feet away.

Downstairs also had a hug fireplace, and a small game or gym room and a fairly small family room. Nice bar and three tiny bedrooms. Tiny 1/2 bath and a fair sized full bath. Upstairs there was an oddly placed half bath, plus the ensuite.

I asked the price: 1.1 Million.

I asked what it would cost without the basement developed.

$100,000 less.

You have got to be kidding me.

It looked very nice on the floorplan, but in person it is a nightmare.

I then went back and had a look at two other Houses.

2200 square feet on 2 levels each, approximately.

plus a 1000+ Square foot basement. Unfinished.

Price: 540,000 to 550,000 depends which one.

Now I have a lotto ticket on one of these, way out at the edge of nowhere. I would likely sell it or take the cash prize. Rated value is $750,000

I could take the cash buy the closer one and have $200K left over. Same unit only the closer one has lake priviledges.

House prices are crazy.

Anyway I think I will have a look at the cheaper town houses again.

1200 sqft $350,000 1400 sqft $450,000
plus basements 625 and 738 resepectively.

Looking better and better all the time.

Either that or put an elevator and upgrade kitchen and finished basement in my townhouse.

Problem is the elevator would cost $30K, Kitchen another 30K and basement $60K.

I would have room for a car lift or two though and I like the location, but there are a few things that need doing and I wanted a house so I could get a Black Lab again.

hmm I guess I wait and see if I win something.

QWK SVT
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Guess you've got the same sort of "Hospital Lotteries" out there, too. There's one going on here now, with several $1million+ homes. Of course, they often don't mention that the winner would have to pay >$30K in property taxes every year. Even without a mortgage, I'm guessing many couldn't deal with that cost, so on the market they go...

PS - I've heard about some crazy prices out there (through co-workers in Calgary), but didn't realize it was as bad as Toronto... $300K won't even get you into a run down town home, in the City. You'd have to take that money and go 50KM away from the downtown core to even think about a house with a double garage... Crazy prices!

Breadfan
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
What is a hospital lottery?

Did you win a lottery worth $750k? If I did I'd be pretty psyched about it, but the chances of that are slim to none (even if I actually played it).

So if you did win the lottery I guess you're buying the K-car limo now right?

davidholland
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Hope your dealing with a RE/MAX agent! If not PM me I'll hook you up with a good one. We truly are above the crowd

Local Boy
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
You guys don't know what expensive is until you look in our Hawaii real estate market......

$650,000.00 is the median price for a single family house!!!

$350,000.00 won't even get you a condo, let alone a town house...

What it will get you is laughed out of the realitors office...lol

Good luck on your search...and count your blessings your not paying Hawaii prices...

ALOHA

BTW: Cabinets 12 feet high...Who lives there...The Jolly Green Giant! LOL

Leadfoot281
02-19-2008, 10:40 PM
...or you could rent this house from me. It has 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, full basement and a 26"x30" shop. There's new carpet, paint, and HVAC. Major appliances included. I currently get $450 month for it (ghosts included!)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_rental.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/rental.jpg)

If I didn't already have the worlds greatest renters there, I'd let you have it for $500/month and the phone number to the Ferrari chick.

larryo340
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
...or you could rent this house from me. It has 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, full basement and a 26"x30" shop. There's new carpet, paint, and HVAC. Major appliances included. I currently get $450 month for it (ghosts included!)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/th_rental.jpg (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/leadfoot302/rental.jpg)

If I didn't already have the worlds greatest renters there, I'd let you have it for $500/month and the phone number to the Ferrari chick.

Do tell about the ghosts :eek:

RCSignals
02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
there is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150210141298&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Aren Jay
02-20-2008, 09:26 PM
here is the brochure for it, but it looks alot better on paper.

See the tub on the main level, you can't get in.

http://www.greenborohomes.ca/model_profile.bpsx?ModelID=277

See the master bedroom has a round arch and right next to it, 1 foot away a square arch with a door. It really looks stupid in person. So disappointed I didn't even take pictures.

Cobra25
02-21-2008, 02:16 PM
It's expensive up their. Down in south east florida you can get a nice Home with 4 Bedrooms, 3 full baths 2 car garage and a Loft for around $450,000. In some area's in Northern Florida the same home would be around $280,000 too $320,000 .

jgc61sr2002
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
It's expensive up their. Down in south east florida you can get a nice Home with 4 Bedrooms, 3 full baths 2 car garage and a Loft for around $450,000. In some area's in Northern Florida the same home would be around $280,000 too $320,000 .

How are the realestate taxes?

Aren Jay
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
On a Million plus house up here you can spend 20-30K a year on taxes.

Raudermaster
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
So, you won the lotto? Can you donate $10k to me? I'm a "distant" relative of yours.

Aren Jay
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Who said I won the Lottery, unless you know something I do not? I said I have a lotto ticket for one of these houses. I did not say I won.

freakstatus
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Hospital Lotteries are a lottery put on by the hospital or charity where they raffle off a house to raise money for said hospital or charity. Very popular out here in BC too. Tickets are usually $100 each or 3 for $250. The houses come fully furnished and are typically huge (6-7000 sq. ft.). They usually always come with a car as well.

RCSignals
02-22-2008, 01:37 AM
What is a hospital lottery?

Did you win a lottery worth $750k? If I did I'd be pretty psyched about it, but the chances of that are slim to none (even if I actually played it).

So if you did win the lottery I guess you're buying the K-car limo now right?

Hospital lotteries are how the Canadian medial system gets the extra money it needs to keep Hospitals open