PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gasket

arejayesss
02-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Tonight I will be changing my mothers valve cover gasket in her 99 toyota camry. She said the stealership wanted well over a hundred bucks to do it (its leaking oil) I said "I could do that for ya" seems pretty straight forward and simple. Are there any tips or pointers for someone who has never done this before? Anything to watch out for? It's a plain camry le 4-cylinder and from the looks of it just a few bolts and off it goes.

ImpalaSlayer
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
should be easy. depending on how burried it is. taking all the crap around it off should be harder then taking the cover off its self.

Breadfan
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I would look to get torque values for putting it back on and bolt it down in sequence, that will ensure a tight seal and no leaks with the new gasket.

ImpalaSlayer
02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
good call breadfan forgot about that part lol

magindat
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
If it's anything like my honda, just as said above, getting all the crap out of the way is much harder than taking off the cover.

Find the engine designation and torque specs and torque order should be cake to find.

arejayesss
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah this will be a good excuse to pick up a torque wrench. Do I need to purchase the whole manual, chilton or whatever? There must be some online source for finding these specs:confused:

magindat
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah this will be a good excuse to pick up a torque wrench. Do I need to purchase the whole manual, chilton or whatever? There must be some online source for finding these specs:confused:

Tell mama to buy you a torque wrench instead of paying the labor to the stealership!!!

arejayesss
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Tell mama to buy you a torque wrench instead of paying the labor to the stealership!!!

Yeah, well, unfortunately shes a real estate agent and going through a tough time right now, infact tonight when I see here I'm loaning her some money. It will be good to have a torque wrench around the house, though. I still need to install these nice spark plugs I got:D