PDA

View Full Version : Custom Air Filter Mod

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Aright guys, not saying to do this to you're Marauders because they are way to valuable and expensive, but had spare time to play around with my Lincoln today cause I was pretty bored after school, and its nicely sunny out.

I have been noticing my gas mileage starting to suck ass especially through the winter. So I brought my car into the garage, checked vitals, and added a bit of coolant. I looked at my air intake after checking the filter and noticed how restricted it is. I had read somewhere other people had done this to their Marks and TCs, so I decided to take the liberty of taping the air filter to the top cover of the air intake assmbly. Obviously made sure theres no open pockets without air filter protection also. Now I'm going to put it back on tomorrow, but I drove it a bit and wow the car breathes so much better, is a bit louder under load, and lunges off the line unlike before.

Anyone here ever tried something like this? Maybe you Raudermaster with the crown vic? And was also just wondering what happens to these standard cheap fram or whatever filters when they get wet or muddy for example if it were never to be put back to normal? lol

TiTo35
02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Aright guys, not saying to do this to you're Marauders because they are way to valuable and expensive, but had spare time to play around with my Lincoln today cause I was pretty bored after school, and its nicely sunny out.

I have been noticing my gas mileage starting to suck ass especially through the winter. So I brought my car into the garage, checked vitals, and added a bit of coolant. I looked at my air intake after checking the filter and noticed how restricted it is. I had read somewhere other people had done this to their Marks and TCs, so I decided to take the liberty of taping the air filter to the top cover of the air intake assmbly. Obviously made sure theres no open pockets without air filter protection also. Now I'm going to put it back on tomorrow, but I drove it a bit and wow the car breathes so much better, is a bit louder under load, and lunges off the line unlike before.

Anyone here ever tried something like this? Maybe you Raudermaster with the crown vic? And was also just wondering what happens to these standard cheap fram or whatever filters when they get wet or muddy for example if it were never to be put back to normal? lol

Would that be considered a mod?
:lol:

Raudermaster
02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Yea, I've seen CVs/GMs like that.

Zack
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Gas mileage goes down in winter. It affects every car on the road.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I guess the question is would it be considered custom? Lol and yeah Zack, I always assumed it did, but the bastard is averaging only like 200 miles per tank at best, in all this local stop and go traffic. It was never this poor, Guess I should use middle-grade fuel, take as much weight off, keep tires properly pressured up and keep my foot out of it huh?

ctrlraven
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Gas goes down in the winter? ROFL

Mine has been the same if not slightly better....maybe it's cause mine is Silver. :rolleyes:

But for real, mine has been slightly better and I haven't changed anything, temps have been anywhere from 5 to 45 degrees and I let my car warm up for a good 20-25 mins or until fan kicks on in the morning.

Aren Jay
02-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Have any pictures? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

magindat
02-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Early (and some current) Marauder owners cut the bottom out of the air box for more air flow/less restriction.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Its pretty ghetto looking, I'll get some pics in a bit here.

magindat
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Its pretty ghetto looking, I'll get some pics in a bit here.

You can't even see it when you cut the BOTTOM out of the Marauder box.

Raudermaster
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
averaging only like 200 miles per tank at best

Oh you poor guy! I'm LUCKY to see 150 on a FULL tank! I've yet to figure it out.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
You can't even see it when you cut the BOTTOM out of the Marauder box.

Yeah its probably not even noticeable until further inspection of the unit itself. The filter taped on to the top of my air box in my Lincoln is what I need to get pics of, and looks ghetto.

Oh you poor guy! I'm LUCKY to see 150 on a FULL tank! I've yet to figure it out.

Whaa? On the MM? Something is obviously way out of wack there if its all the time, not just winter. Could your cats be clogging?

You might have just ran down a ricer and its still dragging under the car. :cool4:

Blk Mamba
03-01-2008, 05:10 AM
You must have tons of Mods, I'm mad if I don't get 300 miles to a tank, and I can't keep my foot out of it. It's been average 30's, and I use 93,( I don't know if they winterize the fuel or not, but I don't use Dry Gas.)

Raudermaster
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Whaa? On the MM? Something is obviously way out of wack there if its all the time, not just winter. Could your cats be clogging?

You might have just ran down a ricer and its still dragging under the car. :cool4:

Haha, yea maybe. No but seriously, ever since last winter, I've been getting ****ty gas mileage, and no one has been able to pin point it. I've tried all suggestions, clean MAF (which I do every oil change) take the tune out and ride stock for a tank, the same. I have no clue why.

Krytin
03-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Have you tried changing the oxygen sensors?
They do get week enough to effect performance/gas mileage w/out throwing a code.
I also noticed a drop in MPG when the rear axle bearings were failing - picked up again after the bearings were replaced.

Raudermaster
03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
You know, now that you mention it, I have been hearing a funny sound coming from the rear end, I couldn't pinpoint if it were the gears, or the stupid axle TSB.

Blk Mamba
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Speaking of axel TSB is there a sequence number area that it affects, mine is 2162, and I don't want to get on it hard, and break it.

Joe Walsh
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I made my own system with a BIG K&N conical filter:

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Looks good Joe :up: I love custom fabricating stuff