PDA

View Full Version : Copying CD's to computer to put on iPod

Eric91Z
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
OK, now that I actually have a nice, new iPod (just a 4G Nano - which is what I wanted and got for my birthday this past weekend), I would like to add some of my existing CD's to my current mp3 collection so I can put them on the iPod.

So what are you guys using to do that or what is the best way to do that? I am looking for any and all input as I don't have my daughter this week and thought it would be a good time to get some of that done and get more music on there I want. Especially since I can hook it up to the Alpine head unit in the Crown Vic.

Thanks.

Egon Spengler
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Go to itunes on your computer is you can rip the cd into itunes and then onto your iPod... it is really easy! I'd give you step by step, but I dont have the iTunes on this computer... I think when you put the cd into the computer it comes up with options and I think that is one of them.. to store the cd on iTunes... have you downloaded iTunes onto your computer yet?

silver_2000
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
you basically have to use itunes

Make sure you set itunes to rip the CDs as MP3s not the itunes only AAC format

Aren Jay
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Same thing if you use the microsoft programme, make sure you set it up to rip to MP3 not the windows media format.

Raudermaster
03-04-2008, 05:47 PM
That's why I hate Apple. It forces you to use iTunes to upload songs into it. Where with a regular MP3 player you could simply just copy and paste into the memory.

Eric91Z
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the information, guys. I did not know that iTunes did that. Yes, I have iTunes and I have all of my current mp3/music loaded in iTunes and on the iPod.

I will try that tonight for the CDs.

offroadkarter
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
That's why I hate Apple. It forces you to use iTunes to upload songs into it. Where with a regular MP3 player you could simply just copy and paste into the memory.

no they dont, you can pay 20 bucks and have another program thats Ipod compatable, thats what my brother did. Although i have never once used or seen it, ive heard of plenty of people who do.

offroadkarter
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the information, guys. I did not know that iTunes did that. Yes, I have iTunes and I have all of my current mp3/music loaded in iTunes and on the iPod.

I will try that tonight for the CDs.

All you should have to do is pop the CD in and it will ask if you want to upload the songs. I had to setup my dads 4gb nano and the itunes on both my compss always asks when you put an audio CD in if you want to upload off the CD, then it adds it right to the library.

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Use iTunes if you have an iPod.

It will take you awhile to get used to it.

Raudermaster
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Pay? For music? No thanks!

Raudermaster
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
You know Ryan, I just realized how many freakin programs you use to communicate to people. Don't you think 4 is a bit overboard?

Eric91Z
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, that was easy enough. Thanks for tell me how to do it. Just do the following:

1. Go in to the iTunes option and change the import format to mp3
2. Put a CD in
3. Defaults to all songs selected - so can either just hit Import button or remove check marks from songs you don't want from the CD and then Import
4. Eject CD
5. Run Synch to copy songs from Music Library to iPod

Simple enough and only took a couple of minutes per CD to copy all songs.

Now I just need to do a little research on the Apple website for FAQ on setting up play lists. The guy at the Apple store here said they have a decent How-To on the website. Want to setup by genre, one for Working Out, etc. Then get them on the iPod.

Sorry if I seem like a noobie on this. My last iPod was the original 512KB Shuffle which held about 100 songs, no dsiplay, or other options. So I just had a few mp3's. Now having more room and the display with menu options is nice. I could actually see getting a bigger one some day (like the Classic). Use the Nano for working out and the big one to put all my music, some videos, etc on. Ahhh, I love "toys".

Grifter
03-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Media Monkey. That works with Ipod's

Colonel
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
A video tutorial for anyone else that needs help:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-get-music-onto-your-ipod-from-a-cd