PDA

View Full Version : Finally going to the Big Apple..

MADRODER
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Well I promised my wife a trip to NYC , on the agenda: Broadway show, walk 5th ave (God help me) check out Ground Zero, Empire State building etc etc.

For you who live or visit NYC on a regular basis what are some MUST DO'S ....
forgot to mention that I'm there for 4 days. THx everyone

P.S.....strip joints and massage parlors unfortunately are not on our to do's......LOL

ezratty
03-07-2008, 07:58 AM
angelo and maxies
http://www.angelo-maxies.com/ took the wife there for our last anniversary
fantastic steak, try the Marinated Roumanian Steak, awesome..... and for NYC price was reasonable. The only other thing that comes to mind is a Yankee Stadium tour, before its gone. you can get tickets through ticketmaster.
enjoy
-Dan

vkirkend
03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
If the weathr permits take the bus tours. Get a ticket for all and try to do them all including the night tour. And get your tickets from the discount booth. You will save a bundle... And don't forget times square!!!!

jonroe
03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I've only been in Manhattan once or twice but I enjoyed the ferry trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well as just walking my shoes off in mid-town just south of Central Park.

SILVERSURFER03
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
have fun enjoy

MADRODER
03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
If the weathr permits take the bus tours. Get a ticket for all and try to do them all including the night tour. And get your tickets from the discount booth. You will save a bundle... And don't forget times square!!!!

We're actually staying at the Marriott in Times Square, which will make walking to certain hot spots a breeze

Pops
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Check out Maxs deli as that is close by. Get matinee play tickets at Tickets. Go down to the village and walk around. Top of the Empire State building. Have fun!

ParkRanger
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Well I promised my wife a trip to NYC , on the agenda: Broadway show, walk 5th ave (God help me) check out Ground Zero, Empire State building etc etc.

For you who live or visit NYC on a regular basis what are some MUST DO'S ....
forgot to mention that I'm there for 4 days. THx everyone

P.S.....strip joints and massage parlors unfortunately are not on our to do's......LOL

1. Take the red bus tour which will show you all of Manhattan. Hopefully good weather and you can sit on the open top. Tix sales are a short walk from the Marriott.
2. Take the horse carriage ride through Central Park. Start it at Cantral Park South near the old Park Plaza Hotel (now being turned into a condo).
3. See if the Oak Bar is open yet at the old Park Plaza Hotel. If it is, great place for martinis and a manhattan. Historic atmosphere. If closed, go to the Helmsley Bar about four doors down (west)- also historic.
4. Take the Rockefeller Center tour (5th ave.) See all the NBC tv sets like SNL, etc.
5. For very good and reasonable breakfast/lunch go to Peter's located at 1606 1st ave. All locals go there too. A great diner.
6. Carnegie Deli - a corned beef sandwich is a must!
7. For a great and reasonable dinner try Sambucca's at 20 W. 72nd st. Very good pasta, seafood, etc.

That should be about 4 days. Have fun - NYC is a great place to visit but bring lot's of money. Also lots of ones for tipping.

MADRODER
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
How are cab fares?

Or should I stick with the bus or subway

Blackened300a
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Why even bother then??? :D

I love the way everyone points out all the places to go but good luck finding parking!!!! You wanna hit those spots, make sure its in a cab or mass transit. The Mayor has a bug up his ass lately and likes to have cars ticketed then towed. Leave your car in the parking garage and do the big apple bus tour. You can get on and off anywhere you want all day. Stay South of 95th street in NYC and don't attempt to enter the Bronx unless you are armed. Theres free advice. Oh and dont purchase anything from people in the street, you will get ripped off. Most importantly do not stop for people asking questions in the street, It may be a diversion. Plus there is a big black guy in camo that roams around Canal street. He yells that he hates white people and he means it so you may wanna steer clear from him. Most importantly, all the handbags and designer sunglasses are cheap knockoffs. Dont think for a second they are real. If you plan to sightsee, Dont wear your "I Love NY" t-shirt. Thats a target for you to get mugged. You may as well have a shirt that says "mug me Im from out of town" Stay away from times square at night. The pimps dont like tourists and they will approach you. Its always fun to read the police blotter about tourists getting assulted. NY has cleaned up a little but not completely.

Sorry bitter NYer here. I worked a few weeks in Manhattan and the tourists dumb questions have gotten to me. If you see a lot of white people roaming around washington heights looking for the Disney store, Its a safe bet that they asked me for directions.

Hey enjoy your stay here. :D

ParkRanger
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
How are cab fares?

Or should I stick with the bus or subway

There is really only one way to travel Manhattan - cabs. They are regulated, plenty of them and prices are reasonable. If your driving into the city leave your car at the hotel.

Forgot to mention you should also visit the Guggenheim and the Metro Museum of Art.
Also, they have cruises that will take you around Manhattan via the East river and the Hudson which is very good as you will see the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge from a real good angle.
Don't worry about the street sellers - it's all part of the NYC ambiance. However, that being said you still should keep your wits about you. :cool4:

PR :burnout:

MADRODER
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
If you see a lot of white people roaming around washington heights looking for the Disney store, Its a safe bet that they asked me for directions.now that wasn't very nice, but it's funny as hell^^^^^^^

We're flying in so I don't have to worry about parking, and as for staying away from Times Square at night that won't be a problem because after the Broadway show this tourist is taking a cab right to the front door of the hotel and calling it a night

Motorhead350
03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Go to Bowery and Bleeker and look at what was once CBGBs

MM03MOK
03-08-2008, 05:16 AM
We're actually staying at the Marriott in Times Square, which will make walking to certain hot spots a breeze
Stayed there once. Bar on the main floor hangs out over Time Square...great views day or night. If you don't have theatre tickets, do the half price ticket booth the day of a show. Not all are available but you can't beat the price. I've done the Rainbow Room at Rock Ct., did the NBC tour (though it was a private 2 hour tour with a friend that was an employee....twice), Circle Tour on a boat, Ground Zero, horse and carriage ride in Central Park, Central Park Zoo, Metropolitan Museum, Beacon Restaurant, 25 W 56th was awesome, Tavern onthe Green's meal the last time we were there wasn't up to snuff, Carnegie Deli for sure, Empire State Building, Wall Street, I'm sure you'll hit Macy's in Herald Square, Grand Central Station, signing cowboy in Time Square. Cabs probably work the best to get you around. Beware of the gypsy drivers who are unlicensed. We stayed at the Jumeirah Essex House the last trip.

Have a great time!!

sailsmen
03-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Circle Line tour particularly if it is raining. Frick Collection. Museum of Natural History, the Cloisters, Balduccis Deli in Greenwich, South Street sea Port Museum Tall Ships,Grand Central Station.

larryo340
03-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Katzs' deli on Houston st downtown, the best pastrami sandwich you will every have even though it's expensive. They never remodeled the place, and you might even get to sit where Meg Ryan did her famous "O" impression in When Harry met Sally.
No matter what you do and where you go, I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Manhattan.
:beer:

Mike Poore
03-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Good for you guys. :)

It's something Barb and I should put on the to do list. Please keep us posted.

Of course you'd pick us out in the crowd of hicks in an instant.

Clodhoppers, hands in pockets, looking up, saying, "Gooollee, would'ya look at that!" :cowboy:

Ms. Denmark
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I lived and worked in Manhattan for many years and have to disagree with my friend from Queens dark and dire view of one of the worlds most interesting cities. You will never mistake Manhattan for anywhere else! And you will have a great time. Others have given you some good ideas and you won't be bored. Enjoy! PS Buy a" Knock off" on the street if you want. Chinatown is a great place to do this.:) And MOST New Yorkers enjoy giving advice/directions to tourists. Just ask anyone who is NOT trying to approach You. Avoid stopping or speaking to anyone who is. And do not give money to anyone who asks . Just contiue walking at a brisk pace. Have a great time!

MADRODER
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
These are all GREAT tips everyone, I hope the weather is somewhat better by Tuesday b4 we leave from Buffalo.....as of 11 am we already received a foot of snow and supposedly the brunt of this storm hasn't hit us yet..:mad:

....not to be paranoid but I need to take some photos, should carry a camera bag or should I hide it beneath my coat ( I know, don't be paranoid)

Ms. Denmark
03-08-2008, 10:25 AM
NEVER be paranoid! Always be confident, know where you're going and walk briskly. Avoid making eye contact and keep all valuables out of sight. Keep money in front pockets. This is the same advice I'd give you while visiting any large city in the world. Maintain a high degree of skepticism and avoid anyone who takes special notice of you. BTW, get a subway map and have the concierge at your hotel show you how to use it , especially to get up/ downtown. The unlimited pass will save you lots of $$ and the subways are fast and safe these days.

ezratty
03-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Make sure to bing us some wings from Duffs when you come down. but leave the snow behind

MADRODER
03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Make sure to bing us some wings from Duffs when you come down. but leave the snow behind

I'll try to to sneak some on the plane, frozen with our great Canadian snow :D How's that for a neighbor..........

GreekGod
03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
:confused: I was under the impression Broadway shows were for:

1) Gays

2) women

3) husbands that don't know better

With all the wonderful attractions mentioned, a show would be the last place I would want to go. If your wife insists, I understand your pain. Probably why I have never married.

Blackened300a
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Go to Bowery and Bleeker and look at what was once CBGBs

There is nothing there anymore, Once the building was closed it was torn down immediately and a new 20 story condo stands in its place.

And MOST New Yorkers enjoy giving advice/directions to tourists.

Depends on the tourist. I wont steer old ladies or a family with children the wrong way. If a bunch of European douches with stupid accents ask for the nearest starbucks, I'll be happy to send them a one way trip uptown.
At night you have to be careful, We often goof that the manhole covers lift up at night and the animals come out.

MADRODER
03-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Got back last night and all I can say is that we had a GREAT time in NYC. The service was great in every aspect including the cabbies. I just can't believe how clean Manhattan is compared to some of the cities I have visited over the years. Many highlights in our trip, but going to the WTC was one of the most moving experiences I have ever felt especially driving by St Vincents Hospital and one of the fire depts close to ground zero.

View from our room......

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7159.jpg http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7260.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7261.jpghttp://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7229.jpg

THANK YOU NYC

WE"LL BE BACK...........:beer:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7217.jpg

GreekGod
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
...If a bunch of European douches with stupid accents ask for the nearest starbucks, I'll be happy to send them a one way trip uptown.

Ah Hah! So youse are the reason the world hates Americans! ;)

I wonder what the French, Germans, Dutch, Polish, Russians, Spanish, & English think of youse accent? ;)

ParkRanger
03-14-2008, 01:38 PM
So besides the WTC what else did you do and see for 4 days?
Inquiring minds you know.

MADRODER
03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Hmmmm let's see,

The wife had to visit every clothing store, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Av etc etc.....

1..Took the red tour bus and took the downtown loop tour (2x)
2..Empire State building
3..WTC
4..Walked Chinatown, Little Italy, The Village
5..Central Park ride
6..Broadway Show (Spamalot....payed 1/2 price...thx everyone for the heads up on this tip
7.. St Patrick's Cathedral

Didn't get a chance to see Statue of Liberty....next trip

Alot of walking...5-8 miles in 3 day's....had to buy new shoes, my casual shoes couldn't cut it after day 1.....LOL

Overall a great time, I'll possibly stay in Soho or around this area next time, I really like the atmosphere and the scenery in this part of Manhattan.

Blackened300a
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Ah Hah! So youse are the reason the world hates Americans! ;)

I wonder what the French, Germans, Dutch, Polish, Russians, Spanish, & English think of youse accent? ;)

Could care less what they think of my accent!

Glad you had a good time, You forgot to visit the museum's and the tourist traps on 42nd street!!

jgc61sr2002
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Glad you had a good time.:D

MADRODER
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Could care less what they think of my accent!

Glad you had a good time, You forgot to visit the museum's and the tourist traps on 42nd street!!

tried to convince her about the MET and other several museums but she wouldn't budge ( yes guy's i have balls)

As for 42nd, nope....

But i did visit a shrine in which I will visit over & over again...B&H Photo Video, talk about selection, bought 2 used lenses for my camera, cost me under $125 for both, if i bought them here in Canada I was looking at over $230

MADRODER
03-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Could care less what they think of my accent!I have the same attitude, growing up in Little Italy in Toronto I still have a bit of an accent other than the ole Canadian EH word which pops out once and a while.......LOL

GreekGod
03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
...tried to convince her about the MET and other several museums but she wouldn't budge ( yes guy's i have balls)...

Does she (or you) ever take them out of her purse?

:lol:

;)

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

MADRODER
03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
low blow my friend...........literally a low blow, but funny in any case

Ms. Denmark
03-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Got back last night and all I can say is that we had a GREAT time in NYC. The service was great in every aspect including the cabbies. I just can't believe how clean Manhattan is compared to some of the cities I have visited over the years. Many highlights in our trip, but going to the WTC was one of the most moving experiences I have ever felt especially driving by St Vincents Hospital and one of the fire depts close to ground zero.

View from our room......

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7159.jpg http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7260.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7261.jpghttp://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7229.jpg

THANK YOU NYC

WE"LL BE BACK...........:beer:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/IMG_7217.jpg
I got a lump in my throat reading this and seeing your pictures. I worked for St. Vincents for many years and was there on 9/11. The hospital was magnificent in it's mobilization immediately after the attack. Off duty doctors and nurses and even those on vacation, flooded in to help. We waited for the hundreds of victims we expected to treat. As the hours passed, we began to reach the horrible realization that few of those trapped in the Towers would ever make it to the emergency room. Instead, the hospital treated the valiant Firefighters and Police who showed the greatest courage and selflessness as they rushed into the inferno to save lives. Truly The Finest and Bravest! I was never so proud to be a New Yorker than on that day and the weeks and months that followed. The City stood strong and never bowed to the unspeakable horror it had to endure. It has emerged even stronger. But that's New Yorkers for you! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip and were able to feel what so many of us can never forget:)

MADRODER
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Thank you for all your great advice, as mentioned we will go back possibly for a week next time.

P.S.....supposedly the glass panels that are going on the Freedom Tower may be made right here in Niagara (Ferguson-Neudorf Glass) they are world renown for their glass quality and design.

:beer: