PDA

View Full Version : Interesting List of 0-60 & Qrtr Mile Times

GrazniM
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
A halfway decent one-stop listing for comparative info:

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm

They only have the stock 2003 MM listed as 6.9 and 15.4

Is this accurate, and how are the stock numbers different for 2003 and 2004? Also, with so many sources of this kind of info (there are all different numbers listed for stock MM's depending on what you read) does anyone have an opinion on a definitive source for vehicles in general?

Aren Jay
03-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Stock 03 was closer to 7.5 second 0-60 mph. 04 was closer to 6.9 seconds.

But they never say if they launch them, like they do with manual transmissions as automatic almost never have our high stall torque converters.

I presume they did not do a proper launch and thus a Marauder, stock is faster than noted.

the true test of a car isn't 0-60 mph times but rather 5-60 mph times.

Have a look at how fast a Lancer EVO is 0-60 and then 5-60. Then look at all the rest.

an example: See the listing of 0-60 and then the 5-60 times:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/quickest_cars_0_60_mph/the_quickest_sedans_of_2008_30 _000_to_40_000_feature+page-11.html

Zack
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
My god, the 03 and 04's were the same in the 1/4 mile.

They are the SAME car :rolleyes:

kirk
03-07-2008, 06:56 PM

They are not the same. The '04 has a different tune and is slightly quicker. Has a different trans too.

GrazniM
03-08-2008, 10:35 AM

You have an interesting personality Zack ;) - I know you are really dialed into the Marauder, so I take your comments with authority.

It's interesting that I've read alot of threads on this board that suggest (a little more than suggest, actually) that the '03 is quicker or more powerful. I wonder if its that more performance can be squeezed out of the '03 when modding, I wonder if anyone who has worked on both (you?) encountered this.

I also thought the '04 had a slightly higher stall converter (75r vs. 70 tranny) - though I wonder how dramatic the ride difference is for the slight difference (I have a '04, never been in a '03); figure it takes an '04 a split second more to hit the higher rev point, but the launch would be harder - so we might be talking that the '04 feels better seat of the pants, but it equals out to '03 in any type of head to head, as you suggest.

GrazniM
03-08-2008, 10:37 AM
They are not the same. The '04 has a different tune and is slightly quicker. Has a different trans too.

I didn't realize the tune may be different - does anyone (besides Lidio and Dennis) know the specifics outside of what you would expect would be in place for the different tranny stalls?

03calitejas
03-08-2008, 10:49 AM
the map pockets in the 300A's give them a slight edge;)

and everyone knows black cars are just plain faster anyways

the Lidio tune (installed last weekend) seemed to make a nice chang in the shift points and I just put on the JLT CAI... going for a test spin

:burnout:

GrazniM
03-08-2008, 10:50 AM

But they never say if they launch them, like they do with manual transmissions as automatic almost never have our high stall torque converters.

I presume they did not do a proper launch and thus a Marauder, stock is faster than noted.

Have a look at how fast a Lancer EVO is 0-60 and then 5-60. Then look at all the rest.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/quickest_cars_0_60_mph/the_quickest_sedans_of_2008_30 _000_to_40_000_feature+page-11.html

I read some stuff from Steve Babcock (I think), and somewhere else, that suggested that some of the original 7.5 0-60 times were the result of un-broken-in Marauders being delivered to the Car Mag reviewers; that once the engine (and tranny?) is broken-in (and I'm sure a little practice could help as well) the car performs in the 6.7 - 6.9 times.

Why is a 5-60 "street start" a more accurate assessment? Also, when I read about the Charger, it struck me that the thing weighs as much as a Marauder. I rented one once and its performance completely 5uck8d; I never popped the hood -- must have been the v6, but it was roomy as hell inside.

GrazniM
03-08-2008, 10:56 AM

LOL - That EVO is quick - but I can't look at it, it's so ugly!

SILVERSURFER03
03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Tune Next Jlt Installed Car Is Fast For SBMM Hahahaha

GrazniM
03-08-2008, 11:03 AM
the map pockets in the 300A's give them a slight edge;)

and everyone knows black cars are just plain faster anyways

the Lidio tune (installed last weekend) seemed to make a nice chang in the shift points and I just put on the JLT CAI... going for a test spin

:burnout:

LOL - Enjoy! ...and if you can do it, 4.10's will round-out that ride :D

Aren Jay
03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
5-60 mph is a measure of the real performance without any "tricks" used to make the car go fast.

By "trick" I mean reving to 5000 rpm and dropping the clutch. This will make the Evo or a Subaru STi go fast a few times, but keep doing it and your going to shear your gears off. Happens all the time and Subaru for one does not warranty repair such incidents. People say the WRX/STi has a glass transmission, what they mean is when they clutch drop it breaks.

The 5-60 is a non clutch dropping driving at normal RPM at 5 mph and then flooring it to hit 60 mph. A truer performance level test. Automatics do better on this test, unless equipped with High Stall Torque Converters. HSTC are made to do a similar to a clutch drop function without killing the transmission. If you do a High Stall launch without a HSTC you will kill your transmission just like a Manual transmission with a clutch Drop.

For Drag racing there are better systems but they are impractical for everyday use.