PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Launch STS-123

CKMustangCobra
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
A buddie and I went over to the coast (about 25mins away) and watched what very well could be the last night launch of the current shuttle program.

Was disappointing, cloud cover really sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOMKMDR69s

There is some language in the video.

larryo340
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Must be something being there is person. It's wild how that sound takes that long to hear. Being up here in NY I tivo'd it on NASA HD NET, and watched it this morning.

ImpalaSlayer
03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
how far away are the people filming from the actual shuttle?

Blk Mamba
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
You can feel the ground move 10 miles away, and feel the air get thin, it's an enlightening experience isn't it.

CKMustangCobra
03-11-2008, 06:36 PM
how far away are the people filming from the actual shuttle?

Approx. 4 line miles. I have a friend that is high up in NASA and he's brought me on base before to watch a launch from approx. 1 mile away. WORLD of difference.

You can feel the ground move 10 miles away, and feel the air get thin, it's an enlightening experience isn't it.

I've watched a few from the water on a boat.... you can watch the soundwaves travel along the water then it hits you. It is an experience that everyone should do in person at least once. Just the sheer brutal force and power the vehicle produces is enough to make any gear head cheer and non gear heads cry!

JMan
03-12-2008, 04:12 AM
You know, that was cool! I mean different/cool. I been over for launches and have seen a night launch and a dawn launch from across the river like from your vantage. But that was cool. It did look like a mushroom cloud - how bazaar! Don't be disappointed, as you know, each one is unique and each safe one is a good one!

JMan