PDA

View Full Version : Low quality windshields?

Donald
03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
In less than 30 days I am replacing my 2006 Fusion SEL windshield for the
2nd time.

First crack occured while car was parked at work. Came out at the end of the day and I had a 7-8 inch horizontal crack starting at the left edge of the windshield about 1 foot above the bottom edge.

2nd crack occured almost in the same place in the windshield while driving home last Friday. This time I saw the pebble coming. Slow motion!

I had 2 small chips in my 1987 Thunderbird windshield and currently have a 2 nice chips in my 2003 Marauder windshield. Neither of those windshields cracked.

Am I just unlucky or are these new windshields just not beefy enough?

Merc220A
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I found this on another site....http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-fusion/7523-spontaneous-windshield-crack.html

Blk Mamba
03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I owned a 80' chevy truck years ago, and replaced the windshield several times in two years, at the last replacement the tech asked, had I had other broken windshields, I said yes, and all from the same area. He said I don't doubt it, look here. He showed me a small spot of weld in the window track where the cracks had started, he took out a small file, smoothed it out, and in the next 5 years I didn't have another broken windshield. Have the tech check for anything, near the point of breakage, it can be very small.

Donald
03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
The Fusion window is literaly laid onto a bead of black glue. It does not touch metal. Nothing holds it down except the glue pulling it into the car. Q quarter stick of dynamite would probably pop the window off when it detonated. :-)

I can't go to a commercial car wash for 2-3 days because the blow dryer might lift the window off.

Mike Poore
03-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Interesting... When checking the OASIS on my brand new '04 Marauder I learned that the windshield was replaced at the dealership, having been delivered, cracked. When replacing it at 16,000 miles, for, you guessed it, the same thing, that's when I learned of the first failure. I suppose, because of the "just in time" supply delivery system,and the various vendors (read low bid) there are batches of sub-standard (read low bid) that won't stand up to the rigors of your Mrs. filling the gas tank. My replacement was from a contractor in these parts, Cindy Rowe Auto Glass, and I guess it makes good business sense for them to install a quality product.

BTW, the windshield on the Town Car has the Lincoln emblem on it, and I can't find the Ford Logo or safelite trademark anywhere. Do you suppose Lincoln uses a different product from the ones they put on Crown Vic & GM's? :D.