PDA

View Full Version : 07 Saab 9-3

rayjay
03-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Anyone have any experience with Saabs? Good, bad, ugly?

2,4shofast
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I owned a '93 9-3 when I was in Italy, it was a very nice car and they are built like tanks! I have a buddy that has a 99 9-3 Viggen that is heavly moddifed and is pretty quick and another friend that had a 05(I think) 9-3 or 9-5 aero which is an awesome car, quick as well and very reliable. I dont know how much part are in the states but even with mine the parts werent too expensive and I never had any real issues with it. I would recommend Saab's especially the new ones.

Motorhead350
03-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I like em and used to work at a Saab, Lincoln/Mercury dealer, but they said they only made money off Saabs because people kept coming back for repairs even under warranty.

Blackened300a
03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Anyone have any experience with Saabs? Good, bad, ugly?

My daily driver is a 1996 900se with the 2.0 turbo. It can take a beating and keep running. Its not a bad car. Just expensive and will require trips to the dealer if something breaks.

Tom Doan
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
My newest one was a '86 turbo SPG, hot rodded it to the moon, but I've had 25 of them and I worked at the local dealer. All the parts a Bosch so if you know how the part number system works you can get parts from any MB, Volvo, BMW,VW etc. like I have written in other threads, built like tanks, some local auto body shops will not work on them because they are too hard to pull back into shape, but they have saved my butt in a rear end collision when I was stopped at a stop light and got rear ended. I had all the fast ones, my favorite was the '76 EMS.

rayjay
03-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info. Trying to figure out how a nice car with under 5k miles ends up on the dealers used lot. ??? May go look tomorrow.

Blackened300a
03-16-2008, 06:04 PM
They hold their value but not their wholesale value. The book value on my car is $4500 but the wholesale is only $1500.

quota
03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Less original then before, since SAAB was integrated in GM.

The 9-5 is still using the base that was built together with FIAT and Lancia more than 20 years ago. The 9-3 is using the base of a former Opel Vectra.

SAAB had a strong image in Europe. I was disappointed after I drove both models. The 9-5 is still a good car but the cosmetic liftings cannot hide its age. Engine (the one I drove was a 4 cyl with a turbo) sounds good and the mpg is remarkable, though.
I found the design of the 9-3 more attractive but I was disappointed by the lack of space and by the torque effect in the steering (the big defects of SAAB).

Still in Europe, SAAB was considered as very reliable but the service costs were high. The image faded since GM is fitting its V6 engines that come from the very popular Opel brand. Assembling and materials quality are also down compared to the pre-GM age.

JP

252life
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
The Saab 95 is Swedens "crown victoria" very popular as Police car ( 2.3T and 2.0T)
And most taxi company's have changed from Mercedes E-class to Saab 95 (3.0 Tdi and 2.0 Biopower)

rayjay
03-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I drove it this afternoon and liked it. Not 100% sure I like it enough to trade the MM in, but I'm considering it. I was very comfortable in it. Good acceleration, quiet, nice ride and handle very well. They will sell it to me as new because of the low miles (4300). That will help with the financing.

Since I currently can not open the left rear passenger door on the MM it just may get the boot. The last thing a 4yr old car wants to do is piss me off...

Dragcity
03-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear your Marauder is giving you trouble Ray. You've had some bad luck with her lately.

Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

rayjay
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry to hear your Marauder is giving you trouble Ray. You've had some bad luck with her lately.

Good luck finding a suitable replacement.

Nah, I'm keepin her. Not worth being in the dog house. Wife says I can go out and buy the DD of my choice, within reason of course. I guess the Saab though is not reasonable.

Dragcity
03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, There you have it.

They always said "Love Hurts"