PDA

View Full Version : Time to move foward...

Motorhead350
03-25-2008, 11:59 PM
What do you guys think of this truck? I am not asking if you like it or not, just if it looks like anything is wrong with it. I called the owner and asked if anything was up and he told me besides the passesnger window switch not working (the motor is fine) and the radio being stock the truck is clean. This is pretty much everything I wanted to do to my truck. Lifted and painted.

Check it out. I think I'm the only one left in the world who think's I'll get my truck back so it's time to find another one.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=234961872&dealer_id=61631439&car_year=1986&model=BLAZER&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=100&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90210&advanced=&end_year=1991&doors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=2199

High-C
03-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Dom, I would be all over it... You mentioned issues with the lift earlier so get a game plan as to how to get it legal for your area if need be. They make a ton of aftermarket parts (as you surely know) and drop-bumper kits to get you down to the required hieght. Good luck.

Rocknthehawk
03-26-2008, 05:06 AM
I think it's overpriced.

5,000 max.

Raudermaster
03-26-2008, 08:29 AM
+1 with Aaron. It's a K5 not a Mustang or Camaro. Seems like he's trying to get back what he put in the truck, it's not gonna happen.

ImpalaSlayer
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
i agree with Jarod and Aaron really nice though

SC Cheesehead
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
i agree with Jarod and Aaron really nice though

^^^^ +4 ^^^^^

Talk him down to $5K or less, or look elsewhere. It's a fine looking truck, but all the same, it's still 22 years old.

SCCH

Motorhead350
03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I might take a flight down there to check it out and I know I can talk down the price... the only thing I am really worried about is how loud those tires will be when I'm going 80mph.

SILVERSURFER03
03-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Cool ----- Good Price I Have On Also That Looks Close Except Mine Is Camo We Call It The Cow----

ctrlraven
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Dom, wtf do you need to be doing going 80mph in a lifted truck like that? lol I hope you don't think it's going to stop better than the MM lol. I bet it still has OEM "like" brakes. It is clean and for $5-6k I would entertain the idea of buying it but $8,500 is just too much.

Ms. Denmark
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Is that Dark Pearl BLUE?

Local Boy
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I can tell you that it (tires) will be loud, going down the freeway...I'll bet that it will drift (wander) all over the place...Can't get a real good look at the front suspension, but looks to me that the steering stabilizers are poorly mounted; I would suspect that the stabilizers are a weak attempt to reduce "wandering". Front drive shaft is one of the weak points, due to its extreme angle...If the rear end is LSD I would check to see if the clutches are still good...These size tires really destroy LSD's when pushed hard in turns on dry pavement. Also, auto. trans. take a huge beating with those tires on ...Particularly, if the motor is strong...Check for excessive slip, upon take off and gear changes...I'll bet it will feel like you have a 4,000 stall in it...NOT good!

Good luck...

ALOHA

69marquis conv
03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
It's a nice truck, but at anything above 45mph it's probably like driving a box kite on a windy day. Consider fuel costs too- probably 11mpg on a good day.

Motorhead350
03-26-2008, 02:02 PM
When looking into something like this you don't think of gas mileage. Local Boy the owner told me it's a one tire fire and thanks for all the other info that was very helpful. Also the guy said he made the rims 18 inches wide to have better control at a higher speed plus an anti-roll bar in the suspension. He intended it for highway use too.

freakstatus
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Damn thats high. Do you do alot of offroading?

Local Boy
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
It is true that when wider rims are used, in this case, the side walls are straighter (not rounded), this will help the tire somewhat, but by virtue of its (sidewall) height...the tire will always flex ALOT...The higher the speed (heat) the more it will flex...This will add to the wandering effect...Also, it seems that the front tire will contact the fender lip (back end) when turned fully to either direction, particularly when hitting a bump...Because of this, the owner may have reduced its turning radius...Check on that!

Anti-roll bar will be useless for a truck that high with that sized tires...Don't rely on it at all...Physics rule these vehicals...High center of gravity + big tires (read- tall sidewalls [flex]) + speed = High risk of Roll Over...

I don't mean to be so negative...just want to point out the dangerous facts, you need to consider...

I can tell you it's a nice truck, and all; but I would be doing you a dis-service...Besides you know that already...I would tell anyone, I care about, these things as well, simply cause we all need to be well informed before getting behind the wheel...

ALOHA

Rocknthehawk
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
get more info on the lift.

is it blocks, springs, combo, etc?

RF Overlord
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
^^^what Local Boy said^^^ (well put, BTW)

We're not tryin' to hassle you, we're just makin' sure you know EXACTLY what you're getting into.

Carry on...

jgc61sr2002
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I think it's overpriced.

5,000 max.

That ^^^^ was my first thought.

Motorhead350
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't do any off roading, but I want to be sure of what I am getting into. Thanks for all the tips so far!

Black Dynamite
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
My only contention is the motor. "Newer 350" what does that mean? There are 10,000 different ways to configure a 350, make sure it's one that will work well with a big truck, i.e. low end torque etc... But I'm sure you already know that. Not too mention there aren't any pics of the motor setup either. That to me seems kinda fishy... Otherwise looks good to me.

DOOM
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Its ok i guess. For a chevy :D

Bigdogjim
03-27-2008, 04:04 AM
You are in control so to speak. Offer a lower price based on the price of fuel. Sign of the times......

With gas over $3.00 and going nowhere but up & up truck like this are going to be worth less & less.......

Goforit...but, at a lower price:)

Aren Jay
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
My only thought is not to jump right back on to the same thing. If it was a Marauder, sure but in this case maybe not.

You need time to leave the K5 behind move into something else.

Your pickup is almost done right? Perhaps you should sell it and move up to a Typhoon or something. Get into the habit of letting go and yet move around in your truck needs.

Cheaper than the K5 and if not for off road use, then a lot of fun. And if you have to go off road atleast you know you won't get stuck immediately.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=241543891&dealer_id=62305163&car_year=1992&num_records=25&model=TYPH&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&first_record=26&make=GMC&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=91301&advanced=&end_year=2008&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=1388

Breadfan
03-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm in agreement with many of the others here.

Also, I for one have grown leary of pre-lifted vehicles, especially older ones. You have a big lift on this truck, a mix of suspension and body lift according to the add. Check close for binding and other issues. Try to learn more about the kit used.

A poorly lifted vehicle even with a good kit installed poorly can be dangerous and a money pit when it starts ruining diff's and transmissions.

It can be cheaper to buy it all done up, but there is alot to be said about having a stock truck and getting the work done as you know what was done, how it was done, and how it'll work.

That being said it may be good, but, you gotta be careful. Having a friend who knew 4x4, K5 lifts, and Chevy truck suspensions would be worth gold in looking over that truck.

Bummer your truck wasn't recovered :(

Motorhead350
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Well I was looking into other cars and trucks, but nothing seems to grab my attention. I was looking into Caddys, 70s Lincoln Marcs and even Dodge Ramchargers. To me there is nothing like a K5 Blazer. It looks cool, easy to park, easy for fixing, rides high (stock ones too) holds all my bands gear, holds all my friends just fine and has a ton of leg room even in the rear seat. Ya there was nothing like it and I wanna another one.

Perhaps a lifted one might not be the best choice, but the one I pointed out has my attention over all that is currently for sale. A lotta of my friends said my K5 was totally me when they say you are what you drive... not that that really means anything, but I had a connection with it. Finally I need something that can get the through the winter and drive over stuff. I know I live in the windy city, but I'm not always in Chicago when it snows.

Thanks for pointing out that GMC and I am fond of those, but it's not what I am looking for.

Haggis
03-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Well I was looking into other cars and trucks, but nothing seems to grab my attention. I was looking into Caddys, 70s Lincoln Marcs and even Dodge Ramchargers. To me there is nothing like a K5 Blazer. It looks cool, easy to park, easy for fixing, rides high (stock ones too) holds all my bands gear, holds all my friends just fine and has a ton of leg room even in the rear seat. Ya there was nothing like it and I wanna another one.

In that case buy a Miata.

Motorhead350
03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
In that case buy a Miata.

Their not little people and remember the rear seat folds down for cargo silly.

Rocknthehawk
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100082589.htm

Motorhead350
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
$10,000 for that? Good luck!

Rocknthehawk
03-27-2008, 06:51 PM
$10,000 for that? Good luck!

It's a different direction...

That truck would get 10K long before the one you posted got 7,500.

Still no info on the lift kit in the blue truck?

Motorhead350
03-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I'll have to call tomorrow, but it's still listed and it's been listed for a month or so, doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

Aren Jay
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=238367442&dealer_id=1361145&car_year=2000&model=NAVIGA&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=LINC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60602&advanced=&end_year=2002&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=18

Do yourself a Favour. Step up to some luxury and have room for your friends their gear and a nice ride too. Ebay the spinners and OEM the wheels for even more savings.

Motorhead350
03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Dude that's everything I hate about a modern vehicle. It's common, slow, no class, plastic bumpers, boring style, everyone has one, the engine is full of computers, pretty much no simple aftermarket goodies, that thing is a fashion statement, the rimz is big, it's boring to drive, it doesn't stand out in the parking lot, the engine has no rumble to it, the interior looks like it was meant for a minivan, looks just like an Expedition with a different front and rear appearance, will not do burnouts, cannot find good parts for that thing in a junkyard, you will never be able to fix that thing with a hammer...

thanks for the suggesion, but I want a K5 Blazer.

teamrope
03-28-2008, 12:11 AM
I might take a flight down there to check it out and I know I can talk down the price... the only thing I am really worried about is how loud those tires will be when I'm going 80mph.

I agree that it is a nice truck, but WAY over priced. My father in law from Germany bought a 91 Bronco when he was here visiting in October for $1000.

With that much lift I would not recommend going over 65 MPH. Its built to go off road, not race.

teamrope
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Dude that's everything I hate about a modern vehicle. It's common, slow, no class, plastic bumpers, boring style, everyone has one, the engine is full of computers, pretty much no simple aftermarket goodies, that thing is a fashion statement, the rimz is big, it's boring to drive, it doesn't stand out in the parking lot, the engine has no rumble to it, the interior looks like it was meant for a minivan, looks just like an Expedition with a different front and rear appearance, will not do burnouts, cannot find good parts for that thing in a junkyard, you will never be able to fix that thing with a hammer...

thanks for the suggesion, but I want a K5 Blazer.

If you have your heart set on a K5, google K5 Blazer forums.
That's how I found this. (http://coloradok5.com/forums/index.php)
I bet you they will be able to help you get a new (to you) K5 without being taken to the cleaners.
I've joined Full Size Bronco.com to get the same kind of help for the bronco that I get here for the MM and the diesel stop.com for the 91 F250 I just picked up today.

Motorhead350
03-28-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm a member on that site too, seems like we all love our trucks the same and all seem to want to kill anyone who steals our trucks. I'll post something up there soon. Insurance meeting is tomorrow, we'll see what I get. Chances are I might just fix the 65 Chevy with the money and buy another K5 in fall.