PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Venice, Italy for Two Weeks

MarauderTJA
03-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Flying to Venice, Italy tomorrow for two weeks of work there. A long flight (ughh) and arrive Saturday morning. Actually I will be in Vicenza at the U.S. Army Base training 60 M.P. Instructors, 30 each week. I have next weekend off and plan to see Venice. Anyone ever been there and have some suggestions on things to see?

Cobra25
03-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Have a good trip.

SILVERSURFER03
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
See Everything You Can And Enjoy It As Much As Possable... Have A Good And Safe Trip

Btw : Just Enjoy It

Blackmobile
03-27-2008, 07:35 AM
You lucky dog, you. Enjoy and take lots of pix.

arejayesss
03-27-2008, 07:44 AM
I've been to Venice, but not in Italy:o

jdando
03-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Wow, sounds like a great experience! How about a train ride to Maranello where they make Ferrari's? It appears to be 2 1/2 hours south of Venice.

Take lots of pictures.

MarauderTJA
03-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, sounds like a great experience! How about a train ride to Maranello where they make Ferrari's? It appears to be 2 1/2 hours south of Venice.

Take lots of pictures.

Great idea. I will look into it. Better still, may go for test drive in one:D

Raudermaster
03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow sweet! Looks up some of my relatives! Have a good/safe trip and I want pictures!

Hotrauder
03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Tom, have a great trip. Penny says, "Take the boat taxi from Venice to Murano" to see world renown Venician glass blowers and artisans. Take the Grand Canal Gondola cruise and visit St. Marks Square. Gelato anywhere in Italy is great. You just "might find great food around every corner":) Great leather stuff, art, lace and 15 century gardens. Be sure to visit the famous bridge of Sighs. On Sundays you can view everyones laundry hanging overhead.:D You will find great jewelery for mom. Penny says food prices in Restaurants varies apon where you are....Standing at the bar is least expensive, seated in the rest. is next higher and outside at tables is the most expensive. Stand at the bar...no problem.:beer: Remember all prices for most everything are negotiable and they will rip you off if you don't play hard to get. Especially the gondola singers/paddlers. Have fun, don't buy anyones virgin baby sister:eek: Dennis

Aren Jay
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
When you have a day off take a tourist bus walk. They point out everything you are supposed to see, then you can go and look at the rest at your pace.

MarauderTJA
03-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Tom, have a great trip. Penny says, "Take the boat taxi from Venice to Murano" to see world renown Venician glass blowers and artisans. Take the Grand Canal Gondola cruise and visit St. Marks Square. Gelato anywhere in Italy is great. You just "might find great food around every corner":) Great leather stuff, art, lace and 15 century gardens. Be sure to visit the famous bridge of Sighs. On Sundays you can view everyones laundry hanging overhead.:D You will find great jewelery for mom. Penny says food prices in Restaurants varies apon where you are....Standing at the bar is least expensive, seated in the rest. is next higher and outside at tables is the most expensive. Stand at the bar...no problem.:beer: Remember all prices for most everything are negotiable and they will rip you off if you don't play hard to get. Especially the gondola singers/paddlers. Have fun, don't buy anyones virgin baby sister:eek: Dennis

Thanks for the info Dennis. If I go in a gondola, it will be a high HP speed boat type:lol:. Standing at the bar sounds good to me.:beer:

RoyLPita
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info Dennis. If I go in a gondola, it will be a high HP speed boat type:lol:. Standing at the bar sounds good to me.:beer:

I believe that Cigarette boats cannot fit on most waterways in Venice.

MM03MOK
03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
WoW! A job in Italy. Way to go, Tom! Have a great time and make sure to bring a camera.

Haggis
03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
If you can watch out for the pigeons. Bombs away!!

MMMAN
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Tom-that really stinks that you have to endure such a dredful trip to Italy. I guess your taking one for the team.:bs:Say hello to the Italian girls for me! :beer:

Have a great time!

jgc61sr2002
03-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Enjoy your working vacation.:D

2,4shofast
03-27-2008, 12:13 PM
The Ferrari Museum isnt that good, I would go see the Lamborghini Museum if I were you. My .02

Italy is great now matter where you go or what you do...enjoy!

MarauderTJA
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
If I have internet, I keep everyone informed on the sites. But not until next weekend will have any time to play.....Thanks everyone.

SeaKingDriver
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Take the water taxi that the public uses, and get a good seat (elbow your way to the front) for good pictures, at a low cost. It's a great place. Get a map and just wander the streets, too - hours of entertainment, just looking at the scenery. St. Marks - gotta see it, too: the bell tower, next to it, is a replacement (old one fell down in 1902) but still fun to go up and have a look around.

enjoy!

MarauderTJA
03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Take the water taxi that the public uses, and get a good seat (elbow your way to the front) for good pictures, at a low cost. It's a great place. Get a map and just wander the streets, too - hours of entertainment, just looking at the scenery. St. Marks - gotta see it, too: the bell tower, next to it, is a replacement (old one fell down in 1902) but still fun to go up and have a look around.

enjoy!

Sounds good. Will do. At Newak hanging out until my flight across the pond at 6 PM. I hate overseas flights:mad:. But when I do get there it will be a nice change:D. Been to Europe several times but never Italy. Looking foward to seeing the sights.

Cobra25
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
My brother in Law goes every 2 years. He Love's it their, I'm sure you will too.

TWEGGS
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Howdy,
We'll we've been several times. Like they mentioned do the vaporeto's foot ferry. Also if you have the time take the ferry to Burano GREAT color all around. Also go to the top of bell tower in San Maro square. Cover your ears on the hour. Super view of the Island.If you want to see some images of Venice drop by my web site and click new images.
Cheers,Terry www.eggersphoto.com

MarauderTJA
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Beat, been up for 36 hours. Hitting the sack will catch up tomorrow.

Blk Mamba
03-29-2008, 02:59 PM
The Ferrari Museum isnt that good, I would go see the Lamborghini Museum if I were you. My .02

Italy is great now matter where you go or what you do...enjoy!

Why would you want to go to a tractor museum? HAHAHA

O's Fan Rich
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Let me know how the Pasta is.....

2,4shofast
03-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Why would you want to go to a tractor museum? HAHAHA

I guess I have never really been a fan of Ferrari's so I had a biased opinion of the Museum but besides for the Enzo driving around town I wasnt impressed.

Enjoy your trip TJA...drink a few for me:beer: The beer there rocks~

MarauderTJA
03-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Weather has been nice so far. Nothing to do here on a Sunday. Clocks went ahead an hour here last night. Now 6 hours difference from home. I am at the U.S. Army Garrison - Vicenza, Italy during the week living on the base:depress:. This weekend I hope to see the sites, and yes Rich eat some pasta, as if I need it.:rolleyes:

I am sure that the Soliders here can give me some cool places to go and see some nice Italian dishes;) and stuff.

Taemian
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Try to visit Cinquaterra, you can do a hike there with a gorgeous view. Photo op supreme.
Watch out for those pesky Carabinieri...many of them have quite an attitude towards foriegners, especially if they have military ties. Don't ask me how I know...:o

MarauderTJA
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Try to visit Cinquaterra, you can do a hike there with a gorgeous view. Photo op supreme.
Watch out for those pesky Carabinieri...many of them have quite an attitude towards foriegners, especially if they have military ties. Don't ask me how I know...:o

Most of the people here so far have been really nice. I have a high & tight haircut, but left my mustache and go-t on to separate me from a Military guy. PITA actually because I have to show my ID at the PX and pretty much everywhere here on the base.:rolleyes:.