PDA

View Full Version : Check Fuel Leak Asap Or Mm May Go Up In Smoke

drobin
08-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Inspection is very easy and can be accomplished by inspecting the area where filler pipe attaches to gas tank. You'll see a round black looking doughnut and if it's wet with gasoline then you know dealer inspection is in order. I've checked one besides mine and it was leaking also. I better leave this one for the dealer. Will keep all advised..... PS, use a flashlight to inspect....

Donald

MAD-3R
08-14-2003, 07:45 AM
not a match? :lol:

Thanks for the warning. I wil check mine soon.

DetGeno
08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Same here Thx!

jgc61sr2002
08-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Donald - Thanks for the heads up. Info. like this is what makes the best.:up:

engine23ccvfd
08-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Just be sure to use an Intrinsically safe flash light so you dont ignite the gas and yourself......Consider this your daily tip from your resident fireman!

gonzo50
08-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by drobin
You'll see a round black looking doughnut and if it's wet with gasoline then you know dealer inspection is in order....
Thanks for the heads-up drobin, I just inspected mine and there's moisture around both of them, :( called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for the 8/18/03,(Monday).
That was the earliest they could see me.:mad:

jwheeler
08-14-2003, 06:11 PM
I checked mine and it has the same leak. I'm going in for service in the morning.

-J

deerejoe
08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Thx, I'll be on the lookout for the condition.

austin-tatious
08-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Those of you who found the leak...are you also able to faintly smell gasoline?

gonzo50
08-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by austin-tatious
Those of you who found the leak...are you also able to faintly smell gasoline?
Yes, and I sometimes smell it through the air vent, I always though it was the exhaust of the car in front of me.:confused:

drobin
08-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Yes, but not a very strong odor. I keep mine in garage and the smell is not over powering.

Hope someone advises us real soon on what the dealer did to fix the problem, etc., and thus hoping for a miracle fix without taking to dealer...

Donald

GordonB
08-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Question,
Could this fuel leak be considered a 300A vs. 300B issue? Just food for thought. I'll check mine tonight. My wife has car today and is getting MM's `tail' installed.
Thanks for the insight.
Gordon B. :confused:

Dr Caleb
08-15-2003, 11:50 AM
I also wonder if cars that show this symptom have the "Fuel gauge not reading full" problem.

jwheeler
08-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Just got mine from the dealer. They said it is not gas but grease. He told me they called ford and ford told them that they used grease between the rubber seal and the tank. This was done to keep the gasoline from deteriorating the rubber seal. Ford told them that it is just the grease seeping through the seal, and this should be very common. They told me that just be safe they ran about $4.00 worth of gas through to check for any leaks and found nothing.

Funny thing though, they charged me for the gas.

:censor:

-J

Smokie
08-15-2003, 02:11 PM
drobin Thaks for the heads up, mine was wet also, but when I reached my hand and touched the round plastic doughnut that is wet; my hand was wet with what looked like wet melted tar and water, it did not smell like gasoline....weird
:confused: Let us know what you find.

drobin
08-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Mircales never cease to amaze me! Thanks j for getting to the bottom of this for all of us. I owe you one for saving me a trip to the dealer....

Donald

gonzo50
08-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by drobin
Mircales never cease to amaze me! Thanks j for getting to the bottom of this for all of us. I owe you one for saving me a trip to the dealer....
I'm still going to go on the 8/18/03 with my scheduled appointment, I'll feel better that way. Thanks.

chapel1
08-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Drobin I too noticed that wettness and thought maybe I had overfilled or maybe the fuel had expanded so much that it had leaked out?
That's what makes this a great site were all in this together.And I'm in for the long haul,I know it's just a car to some but to me this car is a attitude!

vegasmarauder
08-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Ok, Don't laugh, but this is same basic fuel inlet pipe system that has been used on full size Fords since 1965-66 (look at some and you can see). Fuel/vapor leakage can be a problem if the rubber doughnut deteriotes. True on the lubricant used to install them, this was to prevent nicking it and causing a leak (and waranty claim). The way to tell if it leaking is (You agreed you wouldn't laugh) is to have fuel cap on tight, take 2-3 foot lenght of heater hose and hold it near the rubber doughnut around the pipe. Cup the other end near your nose and breathe in. If you smell gas it is leaking (usually vapor first), if you just smell "undercar" smell it's fine. I have used this technique numerous times and I'll be darned, it works......

martyo
08-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by vegasmarauder
Ok, Don't laugh, but this is same basic fuel inlet pipe system that has been used on full size Fords since 1965-66 (look at some and you can see). Fuel/vapor leakage can be a problem if the rubber doughnut deteriotes. True on the lubricant used to install them, this was to prevent nicking it and causing a leak (and waranty claim). The way to tell if it leaking is (You agreed you wouldn't laugh) is to have fuel cap on tight, take 2-3 foot lenght of heater hose and hold it near the rubber doughnut around the pipe. Cup the other end near your nose and breathe in. If you smell gas it is leaking (usually vapor first), if you just smell "undercar" smell it's fine. I have used this technique numerous times and I'll be darned, it works......

WARNING TO RF OVERLORD and TAF: This is not an accepted way to spend your entire Friday night!

Mikeenh
08-16-2003, 06:25 AM
I think the term for that is "Huffing" :eek:

TripleTransAm
08-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by vegasmarauder
if you just smell "undercar" smell it's fine.

I find improved undercar hygiene helps this condition greatly...

gonzo50
08-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by jwheeler
Just got mine from the dealer. They said it is not gas but grease. He told me they called ford and ford told them that they used grease between the rubber seal and the tank. This was done to keep the gasoline from deteriorating the rubber seal.
Back from the Dealer and same here, grease. Just for good measure I had them annotate it on an invoice for record.

drobin
08-18-2003, 01:44 PM
All this dealer input is scarring me, I fact I'm advising everone to stop smoking from this moment on, considering that our cars are getting scarcer each and every day.

Donald

SheboyganGuy
01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I love the search engine this site has.... Imagine a post from 4 years ago answering my question!!

I'm bumping this post, as my baby is at the dealer due to that rubber donut/gasket leaking. Filled up the tank last Tuesday, and had a VERY noticeable gas odor in the garage after that. Found a small puddle under the car, and it was definitely gasoline. The tech put the car on the hoist, took off the rear tire, and saw that the gasket was indeed leaking gas. New gasket should be here tomorrow. Until then, I'll be enjoying the comfort, smooth ride, and snappy acceleration of a 2000 Focus sedan loaner.

Kelly
01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
If you top off the tank and park it in the garage, it can leak. This happened to mine, you can smell it. After it sits for a long time you can see where it has run down the pipe and onto the tank, mine had the donut replaced first. Didn't fix it so the tank was replaced a little over a year ago.

Black_Noise
01-30-2007, 12:11 AM
so its gas or its grease?

Mike Poore
01-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Um, intrinsically safe flash light? Please explain. :dunno:

SheboyganGuy
01-30-2007, 03:28 PM
The car is baaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk.... For some strange reason, the gasket had swelled up, they said it was twice the size of a normal one. I don't quite know what to make of that. But it was fixed under my extended warranty, so I'm a happy camper, and no more gas odors.

2003DOHC
02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I love the search engine this site has.... Imagine a post from 4 years ago answering my question!!

I'm bumping this post, as my baby is at the dealer due to that rubber donut/gasket leaking. Filled up the tank last Tuesday, and had a VERY noticeable gas odor in the garage after that. Found a small puddle under the car, and it was definitely gasoline. The tech put the car on the hoist, took off the rear tire, and saw that the gasket was indeed leaking gas. New gasket should be here tomorrow. Until then, I'll be enjoying the comfort, smooth ride, and snappy acceleration of a 2000 Focus sedan loaner.

Same here just noticed a faint gasoline smell this last weekend. Could be this very cold weather but it still should not leak. Small puddle of gasoline on the garage floor. Will call the dealer tomorrow.

max454
02-18-2007, 02:50 PM
DAM, just started on my 03 also.:mad: