PDA

View Full Version : What do you launch at?

Motorhead350
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
This year I finally have slicks for the car however my brakes are stock and I do not have a tranny brake. What should I launch the car at for the best off the line time? What do you guys launch at? I'm usually around 2,900, but I was told 3,500 is okay too.

What do you guys think?

sailsmen
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Just load up the susp and nail it.

larryo340
04-02-2008, 04:52 AM
You don't want to have the converter at its full stall, you want to keep 500-1.000 RPM below stall so when you nail it the converter will flash up and hit hard. Should give you a nice low 60' time.

Haggis
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Launch at T minus 10 and counting.

Blackmobile
04-02-2008, 05:17 AM
This year I finally have slicks for the car however my brakes are stock and I do not have a tranny brake. What should I launch the car at for the best off the line time? What do you guys launch at? I'm usually around 2,900, but I was told 3,500 is okay too.

What do you guys think?

If you were to launch at those RPM's your 60 ft. time would be about 2.1 - 2.3+. In other words you'll be listening to your tires scream. My NA secret was to launch at about 2K- 2.4K and that was at the edge. My optimal suggestion would be just below 2K for a good launch.

arejayesss
04-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Every car is different, depending on your specific components. It can also vary with temperature, track surface etc. The best thing to do is Trial and error. At the SSM picnic at bradenton, I experimented with different rpms. This was my first time racing, and every body told me something different. "Go on the last yellow at 2500" said one. "Go on the second to last yellow at 1800" said another. Until you launch that car yourself, you won't truly know where you should be at.

Zack
04-02-2008, 05:21 AM
The best and easiest way to get the best launch is to 'flash' the converter.

Hold the brake donw HARD. Smash the gas for a brief instant. The rpm's will climb to about the stall speed of the converter.
Let off the gas, then punch it, let the rpm's come back up and let off the brake when the stall speed is reached.
Works great.

magindat
04-02-2008, 07:30 AM

Hold the brake donw HARD. Smash the gas for a brief instant. The rpm's will climb to about the stall speed of the converter.
Let off the gas, then punch it, let the rpm's come back up and let off the brake when the stall speed is reached.
Works great.

Prepare to break loose if you do this on the street!!!!

ctrlraven
04-02-2008, 08:06 AM
As always I have a video for everything lol

Zack this is how I was launching at the track. I usually bring it up to 2k once I trip the 2nd stage light and just as the lights are coming down I raise it to 2500 as I take off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-thPZ3wzA
Sp-thPZ3wzA

Motorhead350
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Works great.

I'm going to have to study this one...

Thanks everyone. Anything else?

FormulaMarauder
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
got a little hickup around 58mph that is easily cosing you 1-2tenths. tune the *****

Zack
04-02-2008, 01:48 PM

Zack this is how I was launching at the track. I usually bring it up to 2k once I trip the 2nd stage light and just as the lights are coming down I raise it to 2500 as I take off.

Sp-thPZ3wzA

Was that your 13 second pass?

If so, I need to raise the 2-3 and it will be even faster :beer:

Joe Walsh
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Launch RPM depends on your converter stall speed, how much torque your engine is producing AND how sticky your tires are.
With warmed up drag radials you can load up the converter even more and not blow off the tires on your launch.

red
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Launch RPM depends on your converter stall speed, how much torque your engine is producing AND how sticky your tires are.
With warmed up drag radials you can load up the converter even more and not blow off the tires on your launch.
Agreed. My best launches on my GS-D3's were at about 2500 (3500 stall converter), as higher launches would usually just spin the tires. I was cutting low 1.9 60's N/A [on street tires]. With my drag radials, which are short and give me a numerically higher, equivalent gear ratio, I'm able to launch above 3k without spinning and without bogging.

ctrlraven
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Was that your 13 second pass?

If so, I need to raise the 2-3 and it will be even faster :beer:

No that was just running on your 3.55 tune with the 16" drag radials on. I hadn't gotten the slicks tune yet from you.

It's funny cause my 13.72 pass I did not feel like I was going any faster compared to the 14.06 and 14.19 passes I made earlier but I know something was up when I crossed 1/4 mile line and I was almost exactly on 100mph.

Next time I hit the track I'll record it so you can double check your work lol.

xopher
04-03-2008, 10:38 PM

(youtube)Sp-thPZ3wzA(/youtube)
Nice vid. I need to make sure I'm subsribed to you on Youtube.

Did I hear a stutter step at 0:15-0:16 / 4500rpms / 57mph, just inside of 2nd gear? Did you lift a bit to keep from sqwaukin' after a hard shift into 2nd or is that the tune?