PDA

View Full Version : So - how will you deal?

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys will deal with the predicted 4+ dollars a gallon for Regular fuel by mid summer. Assuming Premium gas is sold at that - approx. 30 to 45 cents higher, we could be looking at 4.5 to 5 dollars a gallon for 93.

With approximately a 16 gallon take that is almost 80 dollars to fill it up. With average milage per 16 gallons roughly 17ish - what will you guys do?

I am just curious what we all will do when it gets so expensive to fill up our crusier/daily driver. I assume most of you guys will just drive it less or "suck it up."

Krytin
04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Buy it and drive. What else can you do. I'm too big, old and fat to drive an econo/s**tbox so I'm driving the Marauder to work every day same as always!

I AM going to be careful were I park it because at those prices people are going to be stealing gas like crazy!!
H**l, the last time things got bad and people were stealing gas they stopped bothering to siphon gas and just started poking holes in the tanks and catching it in a pan!!

I may have to start carrying the .45 again.....

Hooptie
04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Just suck it up and drive what else you going to do.

Pops
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
If you add the cost of a new car and the sales tax you can buy a lot of gas and still have the comfort of a nice car. Plan your trips better and you will not spend a lot more.

RoyLPita
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I drive when I have to and use a bicycle for everything else.

ckadiddle
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
We don't drive all that much, so I have already gone to just putting in half a tank at a time. Spreads the cost out a little more evenly for me.

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I wonder if there is a tuner out there that can optimize our fuel consumption? De tune the car to use less fuel perhaps?

If that does exist - I am sure it would have to be a dyno tune.

O's Fan Rich
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Who gives a crap?
Obama's gonna save us all we don't have to do a thing....

ParkRanger
04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys will deal with the predicted 4+ dollars a gallon for Regular fuel by mid summer. Assuming Premium gas is sold at that - approx. 30 to 45 cents higher, we could be looking at 4.5 to 5 dollars a gallon for 93.

With approximately a 16 gallon take that is almost 80 dollars to fill it up. With average milage per 16 gallons roughly 17ish - what will you guys do?

I am just curious what we all will do when it gets so expensive to fill up our crusier/daily driver. I assume most of you guys will just drive it less or "suck it up."

Paid $3.999 / gal. yesterday. :eek: :bigcry:
Don't know how people on a limited income can do it? :shake:
It's a shame it's gotten to this point - somebody get a rope! :mad:

PR :burnout:

KillJoy
I have a beater that takes the cheap stuff and gets about 28mpg at 70 on the highway.

:up:

KillJoy

Pops
Rich that is funny!

Aren Jay
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
$4.25 US a gallon also US right now up here.

I do what I always do, I drive and then one a month i fill my tank.

Eyes water watching it go past $80.00 but it is worth it.

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Yea I own too many cars as it is - and I just got into this MM. So I am stuck with it for a while.

Unless someone wants to take my loan? 15.5k - kooks included lol

Spectragod
04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I got a Harley to ride, unfortunatly, AV fuel is well over $5 a gallon, guess I could change the cams/heads and de-tune it. I have a EG too, but it only gets 35MPG or so. I think I'll just start stealing my neighbors:D.
SG

Egon Spengler
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I will ride my Suzuki Intruder 1500 ALOT more now... rode it to work today at 32 degrees being the standing still temp.... 65 on the highway was REALLY cold... Gets 40 MPG so that helps over the marauder

TooManyFords
04-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I just bought a 1982 Ford Fairmont Futura with a 200-6 in it. It should get better mileage than the new Expy does.

[ evil laugh ]

Besides, I'll need another body to put the blown 4.6 in when I go big-block.

[ /evil laugh ]

Bobmiddle
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
In Las Vegas I am already paying $3.60 per gal for premium that is 91 octane. So if you add .50 per gal for 16 gal it will be $8 more per fill up. I am lucky enough to only have to fill up once a week. Increasing my cost of using the MM as my only Daily Driver $32 per mo. I dont think that is all that bad.
I could not even touch a new car for what I am paying for the MM. At $205 per mo. 10 more payments left I will suck it up and drive my bad a$$ American rear wheel drive V8 every day and Love it. Hell it only money and you only live once. So untill the cost out ways the smiles it puts on my face my MM is going to stay my DD.

O's Fan Rich
04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I could always get one of those cool "make money from home" jobs that I'm always seeing in my email bin. Then I wouldn't need to drive much at all.

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
If you cared about mpg's, don't buy a V8, plain and simple.

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Who gives a crap?

:rofl: Yea, I'm sure....

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a beater that takes the cheap stuff and gets about 28mpg at 70 on the highway.

:up:

KillJoy

:up: Yep, I'll be rocking the Mirage for a bit this summer.

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I wasnt planning on this being a daily driver - until mine exploded(stretch of the truth).

So now its this or a truck...and yea rock and a hard spot for sure

FordNut
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
What's my plan?...

A little more time on two wheels this year.

As for 4 wheeled vehicles, I'll probably take advantage of some poor souls who can't afford to drive their performance cars any more and I'll rack up some killer deals.

My wife's MM is our economy car, it averages 20 mpg and even better on the hwy. Everything else I have drinks it down even worse, maybe 16-17 mpg on the hwy.

LeoVampire
04-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Go to all the area Fast Food places pick all their used frying oil and buy the chems to make the Bio Diesel and there you go.

$.50 a gallon to make it and the food places are happy to get rid of it for free as they normaly have to pay to get it removed.

oldekid
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
And to think that I traded my MINI Cooper in for the Marauder!

:banghead:

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I dont own a disel lol if I did I wouldnt be here

Breadfan
04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I too keep thinking Diesel and may someday go that route. Thing is, making your own gas might be fun the first few times, but how many times do you have to deal with old grease, picking it up, filtering it, treating it, storing it, lost weekends, etc, before that gets tiresome.

Iv'e been learning there's alot more to it than dumping in the grease and a larger fuel filter and going.

That being said I'm still researching the idea and at anyrate a good diesel will get decent mileage even with dino-diesel.

Also, diesel fuel will only go so high before our nations trucking industry throws in the towl and strikes or protests forcing diesel prices back down.

I do know I've been looking more and more at good MPG commuter cars, even though a few years back I wouldn't have dreamt it.

Still you gotta be careful because you gotta save ALOT of gas to make up for buying a better MPG car unless you buy a cheap beater. Going out and purchasing a new car that gets good MPG hardly saves money when you consider now you have a car payment. Same with selling the Marauder and buying something, many who are done paying or been paying down their Marauder awhile will lose money on the deal or take a very long time to make it up.

I may move and have a longer commute and my rather uncomfortable 5.0l may get annoying in a long drive. For three years now my commute has been short. Years before that I had a long tough commute. Back then I remember being comfortable meant alot, espeically if you're on the road 3 hrs a day. In fact it was a big driving factor in me buying my Marauder when I did...I wanted something cool yet soemthing I could sit in all day if I had to.

So that means something too, comfort can be worth a few mpg's. A Marauder isn't bad, a GM or TownCar too, great comfort, safe car, and 22mpg on average.

Taht's why on hte diesel front a diesel benz sounds kinda nice, comfortable, rather safe, 30+mpg, and optional "brew your own" fuel.

Black Dynamite
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I own an AK-47... I'll probably just start sticking up the gas trucks as they roll into town..... :uzi:

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Wes has got the hook up with his PSD. He's at Wendy's every day! lol

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I would love to own a disel BMW or Benz - if someoen can find one in working order! Or left hand drive

High-C
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Who gives a crap?

Quote of the Day........"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the
history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." --
Barack Obama

:rolleyes:

FordNut
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I would love to own a disel BMW or Benz - if someoen can find one in working order! Or left hand drive
Lots of them work, and most are left-hand drive. Just takes $$$

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Lots of them work, and most are left-hand drive. Just takes $$$

Too bad America doesn't believe in the newer BMW's or Benz, as they're extremely hard to find around here, unless they're older models.

Breadfan
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Too bad America doesn't believe in the newer BMW's or Benz, as they're extremely hard to find around here, unless they're older models.

Yes, your options for diesel in America are limited. Other countries get a lot more diesel's than the US.

And in a way, it's understandable.

Up until recent times, diesels kinda sucked and regular gas was cheap. Who wanted to bother with one when it was cheap to own and operate a high performance gas vehicle?

Diesel cars often suffered images of sooty, smokey cars, poor performance, etc. (FYI diesel trucks were always considered badass, diesel cars didn't always share this)

It turns out some of those cars ran rather well, and while not speed demons they had good torque, and get good mileage, and many of them can run a very long time without needing an engine overhaul.

Fast forward to today and diesels get talked about a lot more than I can ever remember. Demand for diesels is up.

So where to find a diesel car in the US?

Choices are really VW, Mercedes-Benz, and pickup trucks. There isn't really that much else - sure the oddball here or there, but no one is lining up for a 1980 Cadillac with the V8 diesel mainly due to how BAD it sucked.

I don't think we got Bimmer diesels here, at least not yet. I'm not a VW fan, so for me that leaves Benz. Well, and pickup trucks, including a dually. (I think a dually F350 diesel would fit my persona a lot more than a Jetta...)

Who knows that may be shifting in time, and modern diesels aren't that bad.

There is something cool about the thought of modding an old big Benz to run DIY diesel and riding in full size luxury (even if it's old luxury) for super cheap fuel costs...

Merc220A
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Ya know..back to the MPG thing. I am getting about 21 mpg with city and highway driving combined. The car does better then my Grand Marquis

O's Fan Rich
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, your options for diesel in America are limited. Other countries get a lot more diesel's than the US.

And in a way, it's understandable.

Up until recent times, diesels kinda sucked and regular gas was cheap. Who wanted to bother with one when it was cheap to own and operate a high performance gas vehicle?

Diesel cars often suffered images of sooty, smokey cars, poor performance, etc. (FYI diesel trucks were always considered badass, diesel cars didn't always share this)

It turns out some of those cars ran rather well, and while not speed demons they had good torque, and get good mileage, and many of them can run a very long time without needing an engine overhaul.

Fast forward to today and diesels get talked about a lot more than I can ever remember. Demand for diesels is up.

So where to find a diesel car in the US?

Choices are really VW, Mercedes-Benz, and pickup trucks. There isn't really that much else - sure the oddball here or there, but no one is lining up for a 1980 Cadillac with the V8 diesel mainly due to how BAD it sucked.

I don't think we got Bimmer diesels here, at least not yet. I'm not a VW fan, so for me that leaves Benz. Well, and pickup trucks, including a dually. (I think a dually F350 diesel would fit my persona a lot more than a Jetta...)

Who knows that may be shifting in time, and modern diesels aren't that bad.

There is something cool about the thought of modding an old big Benz to run DIY diesel and riding in full size luxury (even if it's old luxury) for super cheap fuel costs...

Here's a Diesel!!
http://www.vw.com/vwfeatures/touareg/en/us/

Make sure it links to the Touareg 2 V10 TDI twin Turbo!

dreydin
04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
If you cared about mpg's, don't buy a V8, plain and simple.
it was a little different when it was mid 1 dollar, dont ya think?

I own an AK-47... I'll probably just start sticking up the gas trucks as they roll into town..... :uzi:
im with you on that one!

Vortech347
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll be driving my mustang more. Eventhough its a 600hp car it still gets 20+ if I'm gentle and keep my foot out of it. My Marauder does 16-17 no matter how I drive the thing... Problem is my car is part of my business (Realtor) so I've gota deal. Its better than the 5.0 Explorer I replaced with the MM. It got 9-10.

I may be getting rid of mine soon but I can't find anything I like to replace it.

Just because its a V6 dosn't mean it will get better mpg. Yea steady speed maybe but bigger cars with smaller engines you spend most of your time floored trying to keep up with traffic. V8 and V6 sport trac's get about the same MPG

Eric-Blk2004
04-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Yea I wouldn't be on here asking about MPG if gas was 2.5 or under. But the price of gas is rising faster then the average income can handle.

Its a huge problem in the US and hopefully something will address it. Either more disel cars(Subaru is making one in Europe) or regulation on how much tax is applied to gas. I would rather pay taxes on gas yearly as part of my tax filing then per fill up, provide receipts or just a flat rate.

mcb26
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Get Neil Young to convert my mm tp this
http://jalopnik.com/cars/celebrities/neil-young-to-convert-classic-lincoln-to-bio+diesel-hybrid-325009.php

Raudermaster
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
it was a little different when it was mid 1 dollar, dont ya think?

im with you on that one!

Yea, it was, but I'm not going to slap a For Sale sign on the MM because of it.

sd8683
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I live right around the corner from my work and a co-worker picks me up everyday, the only time I drive is when I feel like toolin around the neighborhood, I full up like twice a month

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
The gov't pays for my commute on the train. So I only drive the MM for a few miles a week...so gas prices don't affect me! I am invincible!

ckadiddle
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Yea, it was, but I'm not going to slap a For Sale sign on the MM because of it.
Some will though. In the next year or so as fuel prices increase, people will dump "gas guzzlers" for dinky imports. It'll be a GREAT time to buy Marauders!

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-09-2008, 02:39 PM
The economy and gas prices are going to make the cost of impractical cars go way, way down. It's going to be like the mid 70s when you could get muscle cars for a song because they were phased out of being practical. There are already posts on this board about running 87 octane. So you KNOW it has begun...........

duhtroll
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll be getting a "Mr. Fusion."

OK, for you nerds that chime in with "But the Mr. Fusion only runs the flux capacitor. The engine still runs on regular gas" -- get a job, already! :)