PDA

View Full Version : Window Decal & Banners

nhinterceptor
08-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Per Logans request for window decals and banners.
I put a few designs together. We are looking for your input and suggestions.

Decal for small rear door window (close to actual size)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2394d/mmnet/mmnetgodshead.gif http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2394d/mmnet/mmnetgodshead2.gif

All would become property of mercurymarauder.net and under the control of mm.net (aka Logan & LML)

I can workup more designs - let the feedback begin!

-Dan

nhinterceptor
08-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Here's a couple of banners (scaled 1"-1' aprox.)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2394d/mmnet/mmnetbanners.gif

Again your feedback is appreciated.

-Dan

RCSignals
08-15-2003, 09:23 PM
I like the first one. The Mercury head is an older style it looks (?), and I'm not sure if I like the new style better.

duhtroll
08-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Call me stupid, but where would the banner go? I like all of the designs and I like the banner with the checkered border better.

Thankx,
-A

martyo
08-15-2003, 09:36 PM
I like the first one. I think that it was based on the artwork Mac and I put together for the pins. I don't seem to be able to get it posted, but a lot of you know what it looks like.

RCSignals
08-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by duhtroll
Call me stupid, but where would the banner go?

I think the Banner is what Logan will hang up at Ennis?

vegasmarauder
08-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Excellent! I like the first one for the window sticker a lot. All the other car clubs I belong to have a round decal about the same size. I have them stuck on the 72 Ford F-250 parts hauler window. I'm in for 6 of them when they are available.
Jm

vegasmarauder
08-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Opps, ref the banner. I like the inside of the one w/out the checker pattern, but like the checker pattern border better...sooo, if they could be combined, otherwise the checker pattern would look better from a distance..

SergntMac
08-16-2003, 02:42 AM
Isn't Merc looking the wrong way?

nhinterceptor
08-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Round one would be a cut or printed vinyl decal for ours cars.
As for gods head, I too prefer the classic style, the new one looks like a boy! not a man.

Banners are displayed at shows & events, typical sizes are 1'x6' to 1.5'x8'

Re:SgtMac - I can flip the gods head the other way if that's the general agreement or I can make both available (L & R).

I'm trying to come up with more banners to review.
Thank You for the feedback - keep it coming!

-Dan

Murader03
08-16-2003, 03:30 AM
Merc is pointing in the wriong direction. Flip it around to make it correct and I'll take 4........

nhinterceptor
08-16-2003, 04:18 AM
I've added a second choice for the window decal (ref. first note)

Different font, additional inner circle, flipped gods head and added dots.

If they are to be cut vinyl, only the white would be the decal, from what I've seen in other threads it would have an adhesive back to attach to exterior of window. This would work for those with additional tinting. It's up to the forum & the powers to be to make that decision.

-Dan

TAF
08-16-2003, 04:34 AM
Why would we NOT use the same Mercury godhead that is on our cars?:confused:

thanks for the borrow from the Gallery SouLRioT
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=500

SergntMac
08-16-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by nhinterceptor
As for gods head, I too prefer the classic style, the new one looks like a boy! not a man. I'm trying to come up with more banners to review. Thank You for the feedback - keep it coming!
-Dan

-Dan, if you want to move ahead with this project before Ennis, don't mess around with votes. Pick one and get it out to market. The last time we went through "choices," the threads were numerous and never ending, just check the history.

I've learned from personal experience here (Autometer gauge pillar?) that the one sure way to kill a project, is to ask for opinions on what everyone wants. It may be fair, but no one will agree, and you'll get stalled.

Looking back through several past issues of "Quicksilver," the publication that comes with membership in the I.M.O.A, there are literally dozens of Mercury Godshead images used over the years, seems a matter of choosing a generation. 40's, 50's, 60's...They are all different. Which one can be declared genuine? All of them.

"Boyish" or not, the image MartyO and I selected for the pins, is the closest representation to what we see on the wheel center cap and seat backs. I suggest you use this image, at least it matches the Godsheads already present on our MMs from the factory, and that which any of us may have added to our MMs, like the grille/trunk badges, or, steering wheel center. Keep it simple, and make it available fast, or, your market will drift in confusion.

I think you should cut to the chase and produce a 2 or 3" decal of the lapel pin ASAP. It would serve to draw attention to the MM.net, and declare one's National Membership, which is about as close to "formal club" we'll ever get.

Exterior decals in vinyl, with the right adhesive, are virtually permanent. All the exterior markings on my KB MM are vinyl, and I've had problems with only one, the windshield banner, and that was due to adhesive.

My only question is, will this be a solid decal, white or silver on black? Or a cut out ala Bob White's design? Check out www.bobwhitedecals.com

martyo
08-16-2003, 05:47 AM
My two pence: Like TAF and Mac said, I would prefer something that matches the God's Head that is on the car. Otherwise, I think it would be like mixing plaids which is a bad thing (I believe Mac is the resident authority on that issue).

Make a left and right handed version (God 's Head should be looking forward forward on boths sides of the car) and we can put them on both rear quarter windows (did anyone measure the size to make sure they will fit???).

Make them white or silver as many members have tinted windows and black won't show (frankly, I am not sure black will show well even on un-tinted windows).

I'd love to get these done. Depending on price, I would be in for a couple of sets.

nhinterceptor
08-16-2003, 05:49 AM
If you prefer the newer god, it's been done by SoulRioT, it's in our Gallery

Current Style (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=500&password=&sort=1&cat=510&page=1)

- Dan

Murader03
08-16-2003, 08:07 AM
When you finally decide what/which one your doing, I'll take 2 sets, assuming you'll make them for both sides.....

RCSignals
08-16-2003, 02:42 PM
actually the "new" gods head is more like the one originally used from 1939 to 1942 or so

03SILVERSTREAK
08-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Prefer the newer god, it's been done by SoulRioT

RCSignals
08-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Isn't Merc looking the wrong way?

Yes. Traditionally, Mercury (or "Jimmy" as he is known) looks to his right.

http://www.propresentations.org/files/PASSENGERS/RCSignals/jimmy1.gif

Bigdogjim
08-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Dan: Like Mac said pick one and run. We will take our time and
vote forever and a day the project will die a slow death.

Like Mac, maryto,& TAF I also like thegodshead that is on the car already.

I am up for a few sets when ready. Texas is fast aproaching.........

SergntMac
08-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Love the new sig, RC, it answers a question I never asked.

Crazieboutamerc
08-17-2003, 09:25 AM
melike, should the gods head face forward

Tim

gdmjoe
08-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Love the new sig, RC, it answers a question I never asked.

Or looking over this shoulder; like on this eBAY key holder offering (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2423801921&category=42606&rd=1)

gonzo50
08-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Murader03
When you finally decide what/which one your doing, I'll take 2 sets, assuming you'll make them for both sides.....
I'll take one set, or a left side and a right side one. Thanks.:up:

RCSignals
08-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by gdmjoe
Or looking over this shoulder; like on this eBAY key holder offering (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2423801921&category=42606&rd=1)

That's one cheesy Mercury. Not from the 40's I think. Maybe 50's or 60's but It looks like it isn't a Mercury authorised item by it's appearance

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_c374bf7cdf8e00d3002e4f48 72d07c57/i-4.JPG

Racerx88
08-18-2003, 06:28 AM
1. Needs to match the gods heads on the car.
2. Why would you need to say "National Member" instead of just "Member". We've got members from Canada too. Heck, I bet we've got members all over the world.
3. Make'em so we can stick them to the INSIDE of the windshield.
4. It'd be great if we could have a "standard" place that WE ALL place them to give us a more "unified" club feeling. Lower passenger side of the windshield would be perfect.

dwasson
08-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Settle on a design and I'll take 2.

You know against the dark tint on the window a grey godshead logo would look sweet.

Dan

Logan
08-18-2003, 08:04 AM
I've got the final versions and will be going to print once I get pricing nailed down this week.

vegasmarauder
08-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Great! I'm in for 6, d@!* the cost!....

SouLRioT
08-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Although this is a moot point now that Logan has made his choice, but the logo I used was made by Clarkitus. I just changed the wording. I'm sure you'll all be happy with what he picked though.

Dr Caleb
08-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Yes. Traditionally, Mercury (or "Jimmy" as he is known) looks to his right.

http://www.propresentations.org/files/PASSENGERS/RCSignals/jimmy1.gif

From your new-and improved .sig, I though it kinda amusing that the badge for the 291st communication regiment, RCN has a mascot also named "Jimmy' (Same one it looks like...)

My Uncle and quite a few friends are retired 291ers.

RCSignals
08-21-2003, 12:56 PM
a Communication Regiment in the RCN? I think something is fishy.

The emblem you posted is for the 100th anniversary of Signals in the Canadian Forces, representing the formation of the Army Signal Corps to the Communication Branch today. And yes, it uses the same Mercury as in the Signal Corps badge I posted.
The Flags are from the Army Signal Corps, the lightning bolts from RCAF Communications and later the Communication Branch.

The Canadian Signal Corps was the oldest organised Signal Corps in the Commonwealth.

Dr Caleb
08-21-2003, 01:29 PM
a Communication Regiment in the RCN? I think something is fishy.

Unintentional pun?

Yes, that is the 100th Anniversary emblem. All I could find on short notice with viruses attacking my systems...

The communications regiment was the 291st - Communications and Electronics Branch, later labelled "Communication Research". Mostly dealt with SIGINT in the 70's and 80's. And they were Navy!

I wondered if your handle referred to the Signal Corp.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/career_profiles/comm_rese.html

Here's the old hat pin: (really bad photo)

RCSignals
08-21-2003, 02:54 PM
OK, Communicarion Research, "291" is the Trade (MOC) desigantion, not a Unit name.
Yes the trade is typically Navy, although there were many Army types posted to the units.
SIGINT involves a broader range.
The units weren't called Regiments.

That should be the current cap badge, the Generic CF Communicaton Branch one, introduced in the mid 70's.

SergntMac
08-21-2003, 04:51 PM
RC...Dr. Caleb...Thanks for the historical exchange, I love this stuff like you won't believe.

martyo
08-21-2003, 05:25 PM
RC...Dr. Caleb...Thanks for the historical exchange, I love this stuff like you won't believe.

My family symbol is an acorn, in case you care.

RCSignals
08-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Acorn. That's an Intelligence Officer or representative in Radio parlance.........

martyo
08-22-2003, 04:15 AM
Acorn. That's an Intelligence Officer .

Need I say more?? Plus, it matches my last name!

MM03MOK
08-22-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by martyo
My family symbol is an acorn, in case you care. Mine's a Bunny! J/K

........a lion king (Irish royalty ;) ) with two left hands.....hmmm

MO= MIGHTY OAK!! :lol:

martyo
08-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by MM03MOK
........a lion king (Irish royalty ;) ) with two left hands

Is that what you call Bob, the Lion King????? He does have two left hands after all!

Originally posted by MM03MOK
MO= MIGHTY OAK!! :lol:

A very astute bunny indeed!

Hemlock
08-22-2003, 05:59 AM
LOGAN , CALL ME WHEN DECALS ARE READY AND I WILL COME PICK THEM UP .

MM03MOK
08-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Is that what you call Bob, the Lion King????? No, it's more like the "Lyin' King"!! J/K