PDA

View Full Version : Fire Codes Question

rayjay
04-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Anybody here have any expertise on fire codes, specifically maximum occupancy numbers? Please PM if you do.

Bluerauder
04-13-2008, 03:59 AM
Anybody here have any expertise on fire codes, specifically maximum occupancy numbers? Please PM if you do.
Ray,
Maximum occupancy is actually a combination of building code and the local fire code. This can vary by city or town -- but there are some general standards for occupancy and are tied to the use of the facility.

Examples from a CA code that I found (link below):

Dwelling -- 300 square feet per person
Dormatory -- 50 sqft per person
Office -- 100 sqft per person
Classroom -- 20 sqft per person
Hotel/Apartment -- 200 sqft per person
Warehouse -- 500 sqft per person
Stadium -- 7 sqft per person
Churches/Chapels -- 7 sq ft per person

Link to the CA code (may vary somewhat in your location) >>> http://www.pctpa.org/library/aluc/aluc_appC.pdf

rayjay
04-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Thanks Charlie, thats exactly the type of info I'm looking for! rayjay

cyclopsram
04-13-2008, 05:17 AM
MA codes were strengthened a lot after the Cocoanut Grove fire of the 1940s and the RI codes after the debacle of 100 killed a couple years ago.. Typically, the local fire inspector can give you the poop for his area... VT sux and still allows inward swinging doors....

Bluerauder
04-13-2008, 05:39 AM
MA codes were strengthened a lot after the Cocoanut Grove fire of the 1940s ....

The Coconut Grove fire actually had impact all across the country with changes in codes, exits, and doors. I remember my Dad (34 year career B.C.F.D.) referring to the Coconut Grove fire when I was a kid.

Marauderman
04-13-2008, 06:27 AM
That type info is my business---Pm me your specifcs--Maybe I can help--I have the current NFPA Codes at work...most AHJ utilized them ...interpretation is the key.....and the locality.......

Marauderman
04-14-2008, 05:09 AM

Check your PMs--Have sent you several regarding your concerns--Let me know if you need further clairification --I will sent you my e-mail so we can discuss in more detail...Tom

rayjay
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Check your PMs--Have sent you several regarding your concerns--Let me know if you need further clairification --I will sent you my e-mail so we can discuss in more detail...Tom

PMs received and reply sent. Much thanks!