PDA

View Full Version : Time to pull the plug!

Bigdogjim
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
On Mercury that is. There is a very well writen article on MSN this afternoon that makes perfect sense. I grew up in L&M Dealership I have been a Mercury guy from day one:) The brand was always "upscale" from Ford but a not to compete with Lincoln. Now the Mercury brand is just a carbon copy Ford.

As Ford’s forgotten understudy, Mercury has no role to play. It can’t help Ford reverse a slide that’s seen sales fall from 3.5 million in 2000 to just 2.1 million last year. Mercury is not a premium brand, a performance brand, or a youth brand like Toyota’s Scion (http://autos.msn.com/browse/Scion.aspx). When a brand name stands for nothing — other than fire-sale discounts — it’s time to say goodnight.

This is a quote from the article. Read the full story here...
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/landingpage.aspx?cp-documentid=473911&landing=luxury&topart=luxury&icid=autos_470&GT1=22007

Bluerauder
04-21-2008, 11:07 AM
When a brand name stands for nothing — other than fire-sale discounts — it’s time to say goodnight.
Harsh words ^^^^ . No sugar coating on that. ;)

hot-rauder
04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
good article, and yes it's sad to see Mercury go, but it is time.

BruteForce
04-21-2008, 11:31 AM
My LM dealership sold its LM contract and now sells Mits exclusively. Couldn't give 'em away even at "fire sale prices".

hot-rauder
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
My LM dealership sold its LM contract and now sells Mits exclusively. Couldn't give 'em away even at "fire sale prices".

Same here, except no Mitsu's.... hondas

Vortex
04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Ford is run by idiots, plain and simple and I am certain my MM is the last Ford I will ever buy. With the exception of our MMs, the "leadership" at Ford hasnt had a good idea about wht to do with Mercury since the early 70's really. Here they had David Pearson tearing up the track in a Mercury throughout the 70's and Ford did nothing with it. I can think of no memorable Mercurys (other than our MMs) since the 1973 Montego GT. Things really went to hell in a handbasket when they appointed that haggamier the boss of the Mercury Division and she deemed Mercury should be the "womans brand" or whatever. The kiss of death. Now that she has been promoted out, the wimps running the show just stay in line like good little boys. Where is the equivalent to Bob Lutz (or DeLorean or Wangers or Iaccoca) in the Ford organization? With the exception of the Mustang, Ford now sucks across the board, hell even their trucks are losing their market share. The "new" Lincoln and the new 2010 Taurus are just rehashes of the 2005 500/Montego/Volvo. They are driving appliances, not really cars. For years I have thought (and I know Im not alone) that Mercury should be the Ford division that sells all the Euro/Australian type vehicles. The euro Focus, Mondeo and Aussie Falcon. Something different (and unavailable) from Ford dealerships. Hell, before they kill off the Panther, come out with a last hurrah Marauder, and stick one of those Shelby GT 500 motors in it. If its too tall, put a fiberglass hood on the damn thing. Anyway, I vented.

hot-rauder
04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Ford is run by idiots, plain and simple and I am certain my MM is the last Ford I will ever buy. With the exception of our MMs, the "leadership" at Ford hasnt had a good idea about wht to do with Mercury since the early 70's really. Here they had David Pearson tearing up the track in a Mercury throughout the 70's and Ford did nothing with it. I can think of no memorable Mercurys (other than our MMs) since the 1973 Montego GT. Things really went to hell in a handbasket when they appointed that haggamier the boss of the Mercury Division and she deemed Mercury should be the "womans brand" or whatever. The kiss of death. Now that she has been promoted out, the wimps running the show just stay in line like good little boys. Where is the equivalent to Bob Lutz (or DeLorean or Wangers or Iaccoca) in the Ford organization? With the exception of the Mustang, Ford now sucks across the board, hell even their trucks are losing their market share. The "new" Lincoln and the new 2010 Taurus are just rehashes of the 2005 500/Montego/Volvo. They are driving appliances, not really cars. For years I have thought (and I know Im not alone) that Mercury should be the Ford division that sells all the Euro/Australian type vehicles. The euro Focus, Mondeo and Aussie Falcon. Something different (and unavailable) from Ford dealerships. Hell, before they kill off the Panther, come out with a last hurrah Marauder, and stick one of those Shelby GT 500 motors in it. If its too tall, put a fiberglass hood on the damn thing. Anyway, I vented.

they could have saved mercury.... new cougar off the mustang craze...:shake:

Bigdogjim
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Ford does not have market share to support the brand. (Mercury) Better to put the money into Ford it self and get some new cars to market.

Raudermaster
04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
New cars? We as consumer's rant until we turn blue in the face as to what we want to see them build, and they don't listen. Instead they keep producing crap, re-vamping the Mustang 4857329 times, along with the F150. Instead of putting money into new lines, they re-do their old.

Aren Jay
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
plug was pulled in Canada back in 1999.

I still think it would be great for someone to buy the name and the panther line.

Someone like me.

Move the St. Thomas line to Calgary and churn out the future Police and taxi, limo fleets for years to come.

A new Marauder line up for us young at heart. A Panther police car and limo varient, plus the retiree Grand Marquis.

Cost would be three trademarks, Mercury, Marauder and Grand Marquis and the production line already tooled up.

Engine would need to be a 4.6 litre Hybrid 4V ecotech. But we could buy these from Ford.

Would need to trademark the Panther name for automotive use.

One less line for Ford, one more line of success and a great way to start a new "old" car company. Who knows maybe we could pick up Oldsmobile too, before Toyota does.

Georges93LX
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
It will be like the VW. Watch for production line start-up in Mexico in a few years.

Bigdogjim
04-22-2008, 05:46 AM
I think Ford will really end at this point. I would not like to see the brand that I grew up with disappear:mad:

The world we live in is always in a state of change, got to go with the flow.

I for one would rather see it end than limp along as it does now.

Mercury=R.I.P.

Krytin
04-22-2008, 05:53 AM
I think Ford will really end at this point. I would not like to see the brand that I grew up with disappear:mad:

The world we live in is always in a state of change, got to go with the flow.

I for one would rather see it end than limp along as it does now.

Mercury=R.I.P.

Unfortunatly I have to agree.
It just a shame it had to die at it's own (managers) hands!

Black Dynamite
04-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Same **** happened to Olds. I grew up and learned to drive on Oldsmobiles. My first car was an Olds. When GM killed them I knew it was coming but I still said I'd never buy another GM product. That brought me to the MM. I've always liked Mercs but not the Fords. I don't like the Japanese cars. I know they're quality and all, but they are boring as hell to me. So what the hell do I buy now?

R.I.P American auto industry...........

Pat
04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
New EPA rules may drive product line shifts more than management likes.
By 2015 cars must average +31 MPG if proposals now being considered are enacted. Thats only six years away, hardly time to field a new product line.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Mercury has been a carbon copy Ford without much to offer for a long, long time.

You wouldn't be able to sell a new MM in the changing marketplace anyway. People are going to have a hard enough time selling used MM's as fuel prices, and the fuel economy people now expect, are going up and up and up.

DEFYANT
04-23-2008, 05:08 AM
It's not too late. The "womans market" idea failed. Mercury was always about performance back in the day. Get back to your roots Mercury!

Bigdogjim
04-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Charlie I for one would be happy to see that come about.

Problem is Ford does not have the $$ to let Mercury go there.

Don't even get started on Mercurys lack of top management:mad:

Like I posted before just do it and say goodnite! Be quick!

Motorhead350
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Old School Rules

Aren Jay
04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
A MM would sell if the engine was a new Ecotech V8. turbo power and 20% better MPG.
450bhp 450ftd 21city 29 highway.
What more would a new Marauder need?

Aren Jay
04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh and the last unique to Mercury car, was the Marauder.

Not a unique look but you must admit it is not just another Crown Vic.

hot-rauder
04-24-2008, 05:33 AM
A MM would sell if the engine was a new Ecotech V8. turbo power and 20% better MPG.
450bhp 450ftd 21city 29 highway.
What more would a new Marauder need?

how about marketing???:alone:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I dunno, I like the lady in the new Mercury commercials. Looking at her, at least. I'd buy a car from her

Joe Walsh
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I dunno, I like the lady in the new Mercury commercials. Looking at her, at least. I'd buy a car from her

No doubt!

Jill can drive my Mercury Minivan ANYTIME!!!!

She is smokin'!

quota
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I disagree.

On one side, it might be too late and too expensive to invest in new, specific models. New Cougar and Marauder would probably not save a brand wich identity was never clearly defined.

But on the other side, FORD could propose through Mercury a line of European / Australian made models. And finally offer to the North American market the new Fiesta, the European Focus and its derivatives (Super Max, etc) and the Mondeo. These cars have acquired in Euope an excellent reputation. Low MPG. High finition standards. Superb handling.

I thought that these cars would never hit our market because of their higher manufacturing costs. But since I saw SATURN importing AND selling here some of their European made models, I do not understand what FORD is waiting for...

JP