PDA

View Full Version : Hard decision

ChiTownMaraud3r
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
My brake lines have started leaking, not in the MM but the lincoln. So the passenger front has been acting up for weeks, and now the lines going to the rear under the drivers side have let loose. I had it towed to a shop and they will not replace the brake lines unless they do the fuel line which runs with it, which is also in **** rust condition. They fear it will be a domino effect messing with the brake lines alone, so they give me no options.

So the problem is they are projecting $1500-$2000 or more to replace it all, anyone think this is a bit of an exaggeration in order for me to shy away from having it done, maybe because its just a pain in the ass for them? I would love to squeeze at least another 50k miles out of this car, it only has 139k now. Had the transmission fully rebuilt at 129k three years ago. No one will want to buy the car as is I don't think, and I can not drive it the way it is. I have too much of a heart to just throw it out also.

Or does anyone have any recommendations on any shops maybe specializing in brakes and fuel lines? Anything would be appreciated. If anyone sees a clean 95-97 Lincoln Town Car for sale, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know also.

Breadfan
04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
WOW $1500 - $2000!

You can get a bender and flare tool and stainless steel tubing and DIY for $100.

That being said since you're dealing with brake and fuel lines I wouldn't suggest it to just anyone to DIY you'd need to know what you are doing. Messing up on either of the two could have bad results i.e. no brake pressure or leaking fuel/fire hazard.

But $1500-$2000 for bending and flaring some line seems excessive.

I ought to open a shop.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
You can get the cheapo parts store tubing and do it yourself in the parking lot. Brake line is nothing special other than having the right size tubing, right size adapters if necessary, and some sort of bender. You don't even need to flare if you get the right length. If you have too much length, you can always make a coil somewhere to take it up.

Bradley G
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a white Town car 1998 67K Signature nice car!

wchain
04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
This is because Ford services the brake and fuel lines as an entire assy and they dont want to do like Mikes talking about and buy some bulk line and just fix it.

rvaldez1
04-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Bro, they are trying to rip you off...go to a different shop.

Zack
04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Im in the market for a town car, details if you are selling it!

Blk Mamba
04-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Bro, they are trying to rip you off...go to a different shop.

I agree, I think that $700-$750, is more in line, with what the market will bear, possibly they don't want to do it, and over priced to discourage you. Like heart surgury, get a second oppinion, it only costs the price of a phone call.

03Farmmarauder
04-24-2008, 08:47 PM
If you do it yourself and are not sure of what you are doing just remember that when you hit your brakes you need to stop not after you ate the car in front of you. I have seen what happens after that the car goes to the body shop then down to my dads shop to get the brake system checked and alot of times it has to do with someone who doesnt know what they are doing. $1000 seems high but then agian thats just me. Just get it done safe. Oh by the way I have seen someone take a fuel filter out to have gas under pressure leaking on a hot catalytic converter to have the car go up in flames.:flamer: That is as bad as hunters telling my insurance guy that they thought my BLACK cow was a deer. :rolleyes:

larryo340
04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I think the best question would be "What exactly are you going to do to repair it for $1,500-2,000?" i.e. what's the estimate for parts and labor. (what's their labor rate? mechanical labor rate should be lower than diagnostic rates)

Knowing FORD I doubt that the oem lines are even available anymore. If I remember right the lines ran upwards to a $1,000 as they were the complete fuel and brake lines from the rear of car uo to the engine compartment. The brake lines went right up to the anti-lock pump. Worst part is that to replace the complete assembly you had to unbolt the body from frame on drivers side and drop the frame to gain access.

That said, I agree with you guys and let them replace the lines with aftermarket. It will work fine it will just not be pretty, but you are no showing the car are you? ;) Double flares aren't that hard to do. I would like to
think most shops can handle it.

If the car doesn't owe you much and is reliable---fix it.

Good luck either way.

Aren Jay
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/483000-483999/483948_31_full.jpg
It is not worth the cost.

Either sell it to someone like Zack or part it out.

Do you still have the Lexus, the Grand Marquis and the Silverado?

Or better yet.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/search.jsp?dealership_view_nam e=cityautoauction&dealer_id=3292582&car_id=238282165&result_car_id=238282165

The city public auction looks like a good bet.

There is even a Blue Marauder about 25 or so miles away.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=242402602&dealer_id=62393877&car_year=2003&model=MARAUDER&num_records=&systime=&make2=&start_year=1990&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=MERC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=60462&advanced=y&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=25

Breadfan
04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
^^^ That does not look like a parts car to me at all.

How is the motor? Valve guides doing good ie. does it blow blue smoke off idle?

I agree with the above and part of what I said in my first post. If you can do this kind of work SAFELY it can be done diy, however if you cannot or are not 100% sure I cannot tell you it's a good idea to do because the cost of not doing it right can be high - no brake pressure or going up in flames.

Wes is correct to, and many shops and especially dealers will be putting the OEM part back on. If that includes all of the brake and fuel line from front to back then that would explain the cost for sure, and their estimate isn't that out of line if that's the case.

Also, if DIY'ing it, you gotta see how the brake and fuel lines route, and how they hook up. Brake lines no biggie, but fuel lines can have both hard and flex lines in them depending on where and how they are routed. Some of those hard-to-flex fittings will be high pressure you'll need to know how to make those as well.

I'd still get a second opinion, that certainly can't hurt.

And that car doesn't look like a parts car, worst case sell it, someone will buy it and get it back on the road.

ChiTownMaraud3r
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I had the guys at midas take a look at it first just for what the hell, and they are the ones who projected the ridiculous amount. They even said themselves that I should possibly sell it or junk it (this is not a junk parts car). Clearly telling me they just don't want to deal with it. They did point out a 97ish cadillac eldorado which was mint looking, who was ironically having the brake lines replaced-$1600 supposedly...Also, they did mention ford does not make the OEM lines for these cars anymore.

This was my first car I don't think I could part with it until the very end of it or my life. It has been cheap, reliable, comfortable, safe, and stylish while at it. I am positive I can get a hell of alot more out of it.

The engine is fine for the most part, it does have the notorious valve stem leak, which causes oil burn-off only under hefty throttle from a stand still. It has never blue smoked when being turned on, or at idle.

Zack you probably wouldn't want it, it has a bad case of cancer on the underside. The body has spots starting to bubble up rust. But I will have that taken care of if all goes well.

Thanks Diabolocal, I have been meaning to update my cardomain. My dad has his GS, and traded the silverado work truck for an '06 F150 Lariat. The '87 GM was not able to be saved, they got rid of it for an '03 GM.

Good news is that one of my buddies has a mechanic who is dropping a new motor in his truck and seems that he can do the repair for far much less. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, I would'nt mind spending 600 bucks for a good job, and being able to squeeze a lot more life out of it.

Heres a newer pic of my cars last year right after I got tints on the MM.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/HomeyG745i/IMG_0114.jpg

Dragcity
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Those Lincs are nice. I had a '90 Cartier. I also replaced a portion of the brake line (90% of the rears) Only cost about $40 in parts. Held up well.

I admit, I did use the e-brake for a week until I got around to fixing it.... Bad Joey.!