PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Purchase some GMRS Handheld Radios

vkirkend
04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Anybody got suggestions on a good one to purchase?:cool4:

Taemian
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Any suggestions?:o:rolleyes::confu sed:

I'd like to know also! I have relatives coming from Holland, and we will be travelling in a van and 2 cars. I've tried the Motorola kind from Home Depot, 7 mile range barely made 1 mile with a clear LOS.

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
+3

I've used a couple different brands the last couple of MM meets I attended, but would like to know more about them (preferred brands,models, specs., etc).

SCCH

J D
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
+4
would be good for my next trip

Bluerauder
04-28-2008, 04:10 AM
Anybody got suggestions on a good one to purchase?:cool4:
I picked up a set of handheld Motorola T6500 "Talkabouts" three years ago and have used them at all MM gatherings since. They are just fine to join in on all the convoy chatter enroute to events. I think they are up to Model T8500 or better now. :D Comes with 2 handsets and a charging station.

vkirkend
04-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks Charlie!!!

vkirkend
04-28-2008, 05:35 AM
I have found a MIdland Model that boasts a 26 mile range w/ battery and charger for $100.00. I wanted to know what other people had to say about their experiences.

MM03MOK
04-28-2008, 06:18 AM
FRS - Family Radio Service
GMRS - General Mobile Radio Service

Both share the use of channels 1-7. Difference is that you need an FCC license (currently $85.00) to operate a GMRS radio but a license is not required to use an FRS radio. FRS radios are limited to 0.5 watts while GMRS may use up to 5 watts.

Many radios are sold as Dual Service radios (FRS/GMRS). After doing a little searching, it seems that the radios are only available as FRS/GMRS. Using GMRS will give you a better range but unless you and the receiving person have a license, you can't use GMRS. For our purposes, FRS is really the only choice, even if it's a Dual Service radio.

Because of the limitations, spending top dollar isn't necessarily buying you a better radio as far as range goes. Be aware that they'll advertise the radios using the GMRS range. You won't get the 18+ mile range using the FRS frequencies.

Some use batteries only; some have a recharging base station; some have GPS built in. Uniden, Motorola and Cobra are popular, well-known brands. Garmin makes units with GPS. Some also have the Weather band. The price range is around $30 to $70. I would also make sure that if the radios are rechargeable, that they accept alkaline batteries too, in case you can't recharge them while travelling.

Remember to take the batteries out between use if you use them infrequently. I sometimes forget and had to do a little clean-up in the battery compartment once.

From Wiki:

FRS manufacturers generally claim an effective range of 3 km (2 miles) or more, but actual performance is limited by the physics of propagation. The presence of large buildings can reduce range. Under exceptional conditions, such as hilltop to hilltop, communication is possible over 50 km (30 miles) or more. Under normal conditions, however, with line-of-sight blocked by a few buildings or trees, FRS generally has an effective range of 0.5 to 1.5 km (1/3 to 1 mile).

MM03MOK
04-28-2008, 06:19 AM
I have found a MIdland Model that boasts a 26 mile range w/ battery and charger for $100.00. I wanted to know what other people had to say about their experiences.
To use that range, you'll need an FCC license....see my post above.... ^^^

ckadiddle
04-28-2008, 06:25 AM
If one of you is s speed demon and one is not, they are worthless due to limited range. If you agree to stick within eyesight of each other, they work pretty good.

vkirkend
04-28-2008, 06:44 AM
To use that range, you'll need an FCC license....see my post above.... ^^^

Thanks Mary!!! I'll keep doing comparisons.... I found this website with reviews for people with an interest.

http://www.twowayradioforum.com/forum/index.php

Bluerauder
04-28-2008, 06:55 AM
FRS - Family Radio Service
GMRS - General Mobile Radio Service

Both share the use of channels 1-7. Difference is that you need an FCC license (currently $85.00) to operate a GMRS radio but a license is not required to use an FRS radio. FRS radios are limited to 0.5 watts while GMRS may use up to 5 watts.

Many radios are sold as Dual Service radios (FRS/GMRS).
The Motorola T6500 are the dual service FRS/GMRS version. Yes, range is limited in the FRS mode as Mary said -- but in typical convoys that is not so much of a problem (at 70 MPH and 2 second spacing -- that will accomodate about 23 MMs in a mile -- more if you slow down (32 MMs @ 50 MPH). I got the FCC license "just in case" and keep it in my glove compartment. Can be done On-Line very easily. My license was about $60 --but that was back in July 2005.

Taemian
04-28-2008, 07:57 PM
The Motorola T6500 are the dual service FRS/GMRS version. Yes, range is limited in the FRS mode as Mary said -- but in typical convoys that is not so much of a problem (at 70 MPH and 2 second spacing -- that will accomodate about 23 MMs in a mile -- more if you slow down (32 MMs @ 50 MPH). I got the FCC license "just in case" and keep it in my glove compartment. Can be done On-Line very easily. My license was about $60 --but that was back in July 2005.

How do you change the mode? (FRS to GMRS) Is it just a switch or something?

Bluerauder
04-29-2008, 04:18 AM
How do you change the mode? (FRS to GMRS) Is it just a switch or something?
As I understand the operation, when you are on Channels 1-7 the radio is automatically in the "low power" mode. Channels 8+ are GMRS only and in the "higher power" mode. More power = more range = FCC license. At most MM meets that I have attended, the standard channel has been Channel 5. That is a dual FRS/GMRS = low power channel. :D

Colonel
04-29-2008, 09:28 AM
No one is going to find and then enforce the licensing. You're wasting money getting that. These things are sold at wal-mart for crying out loud. No one drives around and triangulates to see if you have a license.

Your better option would be to look around ebay or batlabs forums and find some used VHF motorola radios and have someone put MURS frequencies in it. You'll spend about the same or less wasting money on those cheap walmart GMRS radios while having a far superior radio using license free VHF frequencies. Read about MURS frequencies here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service)

I can mess with a local walmart on mine, and listen to a burger king's window to window channel. Their headsets can be changed to talk to each other or the drive thru box. I heard some boy spitting bad game a girl at the food window and they were making fun of their boss.

And I'm spitting out 5 watts, ignoring the 2 watt regulation.

The reason these radios are so limited in your car is because cars these days are virtually faraday cages. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage)