PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on cars

Raudermaster
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
It's that time, father's trading in his truck for something smaller. '04 F150, 33 gallon tank, 4x4 5.4l 3v = 14mpg on the highway is not fun. He travels about 60 miles each way to work and wants something smaller, most likely a car now. Question is, what? I value your guy's opinions so I figure I would ask and see what you would say. He doesn't want to spend over $15k-18k roughly, although we're going to go look at an '05 TL 6spd and an '06 Altima SER 6spd on Saturday. Both get the same mileage, but both need premium. He doesn't care if it needs premium, as long as it will get good MPG's. What are some other suggestions you would look at? I was talking with Wes, he suggested too a MAZDASPEED6, 4cyl but with a turbo. Basically, it either has to be a 6cyl that has some sack, or a 4cyl with something extra behind it. He would prefer a manual, but most cars now a days don't even have that as an option. FYI he's 6'5" @ 250, so don't even say a Civic.

dreydin
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
you looking for something with speed? if not, check out the Saturn Aura.

Raudermaster
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
As long as it has some sack to it, he's open to suggestions.

CROWNMARAUDER
04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
What about a V6 honda accord? I'm 6'6" 240lbs & I was comfortable when I test drove one a couple years ago. I bought my crown vic instead. I would also look at a 04 & newer nissan maxima with a manual trans. You don't see a lot of them but they're out there.

Raudermaster
04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I hate to say it, but the Impala SS (3800 S/C) might be the winner. I found a lot with under 40k and under $15k, which I'm sure is negotiable. I'd talk him into an SS V8, there's only about a 1 mpg difference with that new MDS crap, but I can't find any for under $17k. I'll look for the Maxima manuals, you're right, you dont see a lot.

sd8683
04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
You gotta get him into a Marauder

NeubauerL56
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM
My buddy just bought a saturn ion redline. Not my style but for 12,000 it had low miles and comes with a supercharger that cranks out 12 lbs of boost. It is also spacious and a manual. I wouldnt go so far as call it fast but its not slow.

Raudermaster
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Hmmm, what are the odds? Just found an '04 Maxima SE with 6spd in the next town over from me.

Raudermaster
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
You gotta get him into a Marauder

Ha, why do you think I have one? He was just like, "If I end up with a slow car, I'll just take yours on the days I want to go fast." That'd be fun and all, except the car is in MY name and I pay for it. Although now that you say that......

Aren Jay
04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Crown Vic PI. For the money he saves on the car, he can spend it on gas and be happy.

or

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/PublicWeb/UI/WebForms2/InventoryDetail.aspx?id=3307A

2004 XJ8 Jaguar sedan. This one is my favourite colour for Jaguars, with the possible exception of the Jaguar Racing Green or Radiance red ones.

Great car, Ford quality, with terrible depreciatation. Stock Marauder fast, sleek and 28 MPH highway. All Aluminum body it weights very little is strong and get great gas mileage.

Your Dad will have a stylish ride and a smile to go with it.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=94125/pageNumber=1#1

Yes he will fit inside it, and it will make your Marauder feel like an old truck in comparison.

it would look very much like this one: Except this is the longer Vanden Plas (Van Den Pla).

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/PublicWeb/UI/WebForms2/InventoryDetail.aspx?id=5140

hot-rauder
04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
civic Jarod... he would LOVE a Civic

dreydin
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
mmm, XJR :coolman:

hot-rauder
04-29-2008, 07:27 AM
rangers are always nice, and to be honest.... i hate the new Nissan products.

Milan or Fusion both come with a standard transmission and are not hard to find with them. they also offer the v6 and 4cyl and have some nut behind both of them. what about a nice Legacy?

Vortex
04-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Im a "Man of Size" and my daily driver is an 05 Montego, now known as a Taurus/Sable. It has tons of room on the inside (way more than the competition, ie Impala, Camry, Accord) and gets 30 mpg on the highway and around 24 mpg in the city. I have had no real problems with it and I bet you could drive one out for around 18k or so. Not a flashy choice, its plain Jane looking and definitely no sports car but Im pretty satisfied with mine as a daily driver.

Raudermaster
04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys. I will look into the Montego, I'm sure you could get them even cheaper now since they're "out of date." Adam yes they're available in 4cyl and 6, but you can only get the manual in a 4cyl = no power. I found some Impala SS' for him to look at as well.....

Paul T. Casey
04-29-2008, 08:34 AM
He really needs this, forget your inheritence, etc.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
The 3800 S/C cars are great cars. GM's 3800 Series is a fantastic engine

Raudermaster
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I was looking around at them, he hates the W body style, along with that bland styling (in his opinion) on that car. The Maxima 6spd is looking good at this moment, along with a Mazda 6. They are great cars, quite peppy, good styling and mpg's. Any of you have experience with Nissan's though? Even though the Maxima we're looking at says Regular Gasoline, people have said Nissan's are picky and you might as well just toss premium in, is this true or not?

Aren Jay
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Jaguar, 2004 go for 20K. The XJ8 series is the lightest and best gas mileage and very Marauder like with extra refinement.

Atleast stop in and look at a new one in a Jaguar dealership. I was surprised when I stop by to look at one. I thought I would hate it, boy oh boy was I wrong.

texascarsdirect.com will ship an excellent one to you.

If you are going to spend $18K on a mondeo have a look at this for $18K.

http://texascarsdirect.com/PublicWeb/UI/WebForms2/InventoryDetail.aspx?id=4132A

http://texascarsdirect.com/Content/InvPics/4132A.jpg

Raudermaster
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I appreciate your input, but IMO and my father's, Jag's aren't worth a damn.

Aren Jay
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
There is always the brand new Smart Fortwo.

40 MPG highway, easy to park, fits two someone's our 6'5" size. Not a particularly comfortable ride, though.

Shifted manually it can be fun.

After 10 minutes you forget how small they are too, and they cruise down highways/interstates/motorways very nicely.

Just not so great on bumpy roads.

The mini clubman isn't very big on the inside, not like the smart but you can fit alot of stuff in it and it gets great mileage too. Front seats are not too bad but the backseats are for kids, little kids, only.

Or the new Scion Xb.

Actually I just thought of the vehicle I was looking at getting instead of my Marauder.

The Suzuki SX4. I like the wagon but they have a sedan also.

AWD fairly good MPG and lots of interior room.

Not cushy like the Maruader or Jag but nice seats and great room for us big people.

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2008_Suzuki_ SX4&ReviewID=3651

Raudermaster
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
You do realize the smart car doesn't really get that good of mileage for the price, do you? The Prius FYI and Civic Hybrid are rated better mpg wise, have 4 door's, and you can find them less than $18k.

Aren Jay
04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you ever seen a 6"5" guy in a Prius or Civic?

Plus for the money you spend you might as well get something that in 8 years isn't going to cost a fortune to replace the batteries, even if they still make those batteries.

Plus have you ever seen a battery that lasts eight years, yes it might still work on year 4 5 6 & 7. But not nearly as well as it did the first couple years.

And Hybrids do not have good MPG when it is cold out. Plus the Prius and Civic do not have that great of gas mileage, they do not get what is claimed unless you drive like a ninny.

See the Topgear review of the Prius.

I'm 6'5" tall maybe a bit heftier than your Dad, I get in the civic, eventually, the roof is very low and doors on the 4 door very small, the 2 door has very tinny doors, 4 door is Hybrid. Once in it is ok, not great just ok. The Civic does look good, but it is a Honda.

The Prius is a different bird. Looks odd. Skinny is the word. Now the problem with the prius is the placement of the central pod and the gear shift. Getting in is a bit of work but once in the head room is fine, the legroom is not. My knee sticks out and to the middle of the car. I sit with my knee, as far down as possible right under the gear selector. I found a problem with that. I couldn't get the gear selector to go down and select any of the gears. My knee blocked it.

Other than that it was great, too bad I couldn't put it in gear.

The Smart car is amazing. Not great for Mileage anymore, the earlier version we had up here had the .8L Diesel and would get 70 MPG. This new 1.0L is not nearly as good, but remember it gets 40MPG on the new system of measuring MPG not the old one. With the old system, that used by our Marauders, it would be closer to 50 MPG.

Wouldn't want to see the Marauder with the new MPG rating system.

The Fortwo is a fun car. Nimble, quick but not fast, with awesome parking abilities. Yes it is small, as small as they come, but it is almost Doctor who like in that it seems larger on the inside. Parking is amazing, it is exactly half the length of a Marauder. Narrower, and yet has a good sized cargo ability with one and fair with two people. It is like the worlds safest motorcycle, especially with the rag top.

Plus it is the only affordable, 2 door 2 person mid engine car around.

The Suzuki, which I never would have considered until seeing one at the car show. Bad name but the now Crossover, hatch/wagon SX4 is a great AWD vehicle. Much ignored, cheap and with good MPG ratings.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/119812/article.html epa 2008 ratings explained.

Also the Prius is 11K more than a Fortwo and the Honda Hybrid is 7.5K more.

That is alot of gas, even at 15MPG city 33 vs 48, the difference is only

20,000 miles

Fortwo 20,000 divide by 33 = 606 gallons.

Prius 20,000 divide by 48 = 416 gallons

Difference of 190 gallons or say $6 a gallon, $1140 a year.

Yes the smart likes 91 or so octane. So even that would mean you would break even at $1254 in the best case for the prius and worst case for the Fortwo.

for the $11,000 price difference you are looking at 8 years 9 and a quart months.

Battery is warranted 8 years, before failure, but not reduced optional ability. So in the end the Fortwo will always be cheaper.

Any way I'm not saying it is better, you might hate the Fortwo, you might love the Prius.

Just go sit in one take a spin in one then decide.

And don't just drive around a parking lot at 15 MPH and say the Fortwo is slow.

Raudermaster
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Have you ever seen a 6'5" guy in a smart car?

n00bkiller944
04-29-2008, 07:47 PM
MAZDASPEED is really fast and really nice, but maxima's are bigger and will probably have more "creature comforts". My friends dad has an '06 Maxima and it can break traction when he hits it pretty easily...

hot-rauder
04-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Have you ever seen a 6"5" guy in a Prius or Civic?

Plus for the money you spend you might as well get something that in 8 years isn't going to cost a fortune to replace the batteries, even if they still make those batteries.

Plus have you ever seen a battery that lasts eight years, yes it might still work on year 4 5 6 & 7. But not nearly as well as it did the first couple years.

And Hybrids do not have good MPG when it is cold out. Plus the Prius and Civic do not have that great of gas mileage, they do not get what is claimed unless you drive like a ninny.

See the Topgear review of the Prius.

I'm 6'5" tall maybe a bit heftier than your Dad, I get in the civic, eventually, the roof is very low and doors on the 4 door very small, the 2 door has very tinny doors, 4 door is Hybrid. Once in it is ok, not great just ok. The Civic does look good, but it is a Honda.

The Prius is a different bird. Looks odd. Skinny is the word. Now the problem with the prius is the placement of the central pod and the gear shift. Getting in is a bit of work but once in the head room is fine, the legroom is not. My knee sticks out and to the middle of the car. I sit with my knee, as far down as possible right under the gear selector. I found a problem with that. I couldn't get the gear selector to go down and select any of the gears. My knee blocked it.

Other than that it was great, too bad I couldn't put it in gear.

The Smart car is amazing. Not great for Mileage anymore, the earlier version we had up here had the .8L Diesel and would get 70 MPG. This new 1.0L is not nearly as good, but remember it gets 40MPG on the new system of measuring MPG not the old one. With the old system, that used by our Marauders, it would be closer to 50 MPG.

Wouldn't want to see the Marauder with the new MPG rating system.

The Fortwo is a fun car. Nimble, quick but not fast, with awesome parking abilities. Yes it is small, as small as they come, but it is almost Doctor who like in that it seems larger on the inside. Parking is amazing, it is exactly half the length of a Marauder. Narrower, and yet has a good sized cargo ability with one and fair with two people. It is like the worlds safest motorcycle, especially with the rag top.

Plus it is the only affordable, 2 door 2 person mid engine car around.

The Suzuki, which I never would have considered until seeing one at the car show. Bad name but the now Crossover, hatch/wagon SX4 is a great AWD vehicle. Much ignored, cheap and with good MPG ratings.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/119812/article.html epa 2008 ratings explained.

Also the Prius is 11K more than a Fortwo and the Honda Hybrid is 7.5K more.

That is alot of gas, even at 15MPG city 33 vs 48, the difference is only

20,000 miles

Fortwo 20,000 divide by 33 = 606 gallons.

Prius 20,000 divide by 48 = 416 gallons

Difference of 190 gallons or say $6 a gallon, $1140 a year.

Yes the smart likes 91 or so octane. So even that would mean you would break even at $1254 in the best case for the prius and worst case for the Fortwo.

for the $11,000 price difference you are looking at 8 years 9 and a quart months.

Battery is warranted 8 years, before failure, but not reduced optional ability. So in the end the Fortwo will always be cheaper.

Any way I'm not saying it is better, you might hate the Fortwo, you might love the Prius.

Just go sit in one take a spin in one then decide.

And don't just drive around a parking lot at 15 MPH and say the Fortwo is slow.

See motor trends review of the Prius getting better gas mileage as a standard 4 cyl.... all the hyrbid crap in it made it so heavy it is now what they call a "statement car"

the Smart cars are not practical. period. they are cheap quality over priced golf carts. no self repecting male would hop into one of those, epescially after trading in in his baddass F150, and feel like he made an excellent trade. they are dumb cars that should have been left over seas.

Breadfan
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
If he doesn't like the Impala 3800s/c get one of the other variants, the Grand Prix GTP or Buick Regal GS. Also the newer Grand Prix's aren't bad either.

The Jag is nice looking, and yeah they DO depreciate! I think '04 was the last model switch, IMO you'd want an '04 or above. The previous models although still nice looker are very narrow cars.

My first car was an '80 XJ6 with a small block chevy under the hood, fun car and one of the best looking 1980 cars!

But i'm still nervous around newer Jags, I've seen plenty of late 90's models, looked at a few with a friend years ago, and they seemed to still be plauged by minor issues and electrical bugs. If that really was fixed in '04 I think they look great and are much more comfy (wider).

The interior of that XJ6 posted looks so nice though!

hot-rauder
04-30-2008, 07:40 AM
If he doesn't like the Impala 3800s/c get one of the other variants, the Grand Prix GTP or Buick Regal GS. Also the newer Grand Prix's aren't bad either.

The Jag is nice looking, and yeah they DO depreciate! I think '04 was the last model switch, IMO you'd want an '04 or above. The previous models although still nice looker are very narrow cars.

My first car was an '80 XJ6 with a small block chevy under the hood, fun car and one of the best looking 1980 cars!

But i'm still nervous around newer Jags, I've seen plenty of late 90's models, looked at a few with a friend years ago, and they seemed to still be plauged by minor issues and electrical bugs. If that really was fixed in '04 I think they look great and are much more comfy (wider).

The interior of that XJ6 posted looks so nice though!

After testing an 00 XJ8 i was thoroughly disappointed. the car felt numb and heavy as could be. the MM was much nicer all around

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Maxima, TL, or a 6?

hot-rauder
04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Maxima, TL, or a 6?

i love TLs.... very very nice cars.

my buddy Jon we hung out with, his family has a 00, an 02, and an 06..... all nice and great cars

sd8683
04-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Go with a TL if those are the choices.

TiTo35
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I was looking around at them, he hates the W body style, along with that bland styling (in his opinion) on that car. The Maxima 6spd is looking good at this moment, along with a Mazda 6. They are great cars, quite peppy, good styling and mpg's. Any of you have experience with Nissan's though? Even though the Maxima we're looking at says Regular Gasoline, people have said Nissan's are picky and you might as well just toss premium in, is this true or not?

My first car was/is a 1995 Nissan Altima...I have 125k miles on it and the damn thing wont DIE!!! I will say Nissans RUN...and I am sure that a newer model will do just the same. As for your fathers size...I had a retired vet come into my store one day and say (he was using a cane) "I cant walk too tough and I cant fit in most cars...except a Nissan." He wa si luck cause of the Altima...he was showing me that most cars he had been in did not have that extra foot of leg room under the "dash" like most cars. I stuck my foot up there and it was plenty space but I am only 5'10'' he was bout 6'3'', but he was comfy...All and all go with the maxima...BTW Acuras are premadonnas!!!

BLACKMARAUDER04
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I just saw a great review of the Sable/Taurus. Good gas mileage 24/30 mpg, has a huge trunk and with the new 3.5l v6 has pretty good getup.

dreydin
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I just saw a great review of the Sable/Taurus. Good gas mileage 24/30 mpg, has a huge trunk and with the new 3.5l v6 has pretty good getup.
its so ugly tho :(

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 02:18 PM
He just wishes it was available manual... :(.

offroadkarter
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Maxima SE's with the stick shift are good cars with get up and go. My friend had a 99 with the 5spd and it really moved.

TL's are also very nice acuras. Its alot more loaded and it doesnt feel like your in another tin can honda. My sister had a fully loaded 02 and it was a very nice car. Although im not sure if they changed something with the motors to require premium when they changed the body style, i know the 02 didnt have to have premium.

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Maxima SE's with the stick shift are good cars with get up and go. My friend had a 99 with the 5spd and it really moved.

TL's are also very nice acuras. Its alot more loaded and it doesnt feel like your in another tin can honda. My sister had a fully loaded 02 and it was a very nice car. Although im not sure if they changed something with the motors to require premium when they changed the body style, i know the 02 didnt have to have premium.

Too bad the '99's were a complete different motor and tranny, but I've been in a stick/autostick '04+ Maxima, and can vouge for their quickness. '04+ are also a new motor/tranny. The old TL's used the 3.0, and the new one's use the 3.2 VTEC. And yes, they do need premium.

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I was even thinking about a Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan. 4cyl turbo, 5 spd, 23mpg.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
I had an 03 TL Type S (260 hp, premium fuel). Very comfortable, more leg room up front than the MM (yes, really), great supportive and firm seats, excellent handling, very fast car. The 00-03 Honda and Acura 5AT transmissions were a durability nightmare. For sure stay away from 03 and earlier TL, TL-S, honda accord, etc. The TL-s was the worst because it had the most power, and the same trans. 3rd gear clutch pack was undersized and Honda never came up with a a fix for it, they just keep remanning and replacing them. I went through 3 transmissions in about 25k miles and sold the car w/o looking back. It was very low mileage and a lost my shirt on that car but that's okay.

The 3.2 engine is a thing of beauty though. Faster stock than a stock MM (all 04+ get the 260 hp mill that was previously optional), modern and refined, and gets 28 mpg highway driving like a nut case. I still want an 04+ TL (I'd go for the auto, but you can get the stick in the new body style). If I ever get sick of the MM I will probably go for a TL. The 04+ is a nice looking car from all angles except from the rear (I think it looks like the ass of a duck).

Canadasvt
04-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Okay, noone has mentioned it yet. How about a Fusion? Everyone here at Ford that owns one really likes it. The four can come with stick, the six is strictly auto.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Canadasvt/2008_ford_fusion_sport_appeara nce_p.jpg

offroadkarter
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Too bad the '99's were a complete different motor and tranny, but I've been in a stick/autostick '04+ Maxima, and can vouge for their quickness. '04+ are also a new motor/tranny. The old TL's used the 3.0, and the new one's use the 3.2 VTEC. And yes, they do need premium.

2002 acura TL had the 3.2, so they must have either changed something in the engine management or in the engine itself.

Aren Jay
04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
What about the Altima, it is cheaper and better than the Maxima. And availabe in 2 door version.

or a Caddy CTS

Or for the Same price and MPG you could get a V6 Mustang.

The Sable/Taurus (500) gets better Gas mileage, costs about the same and gives you 4 doors. Plus come with some really nifty features.

There is also the Escape Hybrid.

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Last I checked the 6 Stangs were HORRIBLE on MPG's. He likes the Fusion, but again, it's a base, weak 4cyl. If it were available in a manual 6, he'd get one. Ryan the 3.2 as stated by VicsEvil, was an option. I believe it's the same as the '04+, but the tuning is different. Yea, I was looking at the Escape Hybrid (get a good tax return to boot!) but they're all $21k+. The only Altima he likes, is the SE-R, and I can't find one for under $18k.

sd8683
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
What about a BMW

Raudermaster
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
He's never been a fan really of BMW's, don't appeal to him, however I will see what I can find.

Aren Jay
05-01-2008, 01:25 AM
V6 Mustangs are 19 city 28 highway with the Manual.

The 04-06 Scion Xb is pretty nice, if you like the boxy look.

It gets 30 city 33 highway and has tons of room. The new one is tiny inside in comparison.

Aren Jay
05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

hot-rauder
05-01-2008, 06:02 AM
V6 Mustangs are 19 city 28 highway with the Manual.

The 04-06 Scion Xb is pretty nice, if you like the boxy look.

It gets 30 city 33 highway and has tons of room. The new one is tiny inside in comparison.

might as well buy a taurus if you are buying a v6 mustang.....:shake:

Aren Jay
05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
So what did you reccomend/ did he buy?

Raudermaster
05-02-2008, 09:15 AM
We're going tomorrow morning, first car we're going to look at is the Maxima 6spd, then we're taking a ride to go look at a TL, SER Altima, SVT Focus, and a MAZDASPEED 6.

hot-rauder
05-02-2008, 11:26 AM
So what did you reccomend/ did he buy?

TL, Fusion, and Maxima.

Mabye a Mondeo

Raudermaster
05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
We're going to look at a bunch of TL's in the morning, then it will be up in the air after that...

Raudermaster
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
It's final, we kept the truck, traded Mom's Explorer in. Picked up a brand spanking new '08 Fusion SE. Got a smoking deal on it, 6cyl, 6spd Auto, fully loaded. Pick it up Tuesday night. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

offroadkarter
05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Mabye a Mondeo

They should sell those in America, they are very very successful in Europe

Anyways, congrats to your dad on the new fusion :2thumbs:

Raudermaster
05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Should have gotten the factory 18's though...:alone: Hmm, I wonder if my spare set of MM's will fit. :bows:

Aren Jay
05-06-2008, 12:52 AM
They should sell those in America, they are very very successful in Europe

Anyways, congrats to your dad on the new fusion :2thumbs:

They do, they are called Jaguar X-types.

Anyway looks like I was too late.

I was going to suggest having a look at the Chevy Malibu Hybrid.

http://www.canadiandriver.com:80/articles/ly/2008-chevrolet-malibu-hybrid.htm