PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Car For The Wife

Ross
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, it's finally happening, we're out test driving new cars for Dawn. She wants a convertible, so that narrows down the choices. Neither of us has ever owned a foreign car, but it looks like we are going to have to seriously consider some this time since there are so few convertibles out there.
She really likes the little Saturn and Pontiac 2 seaters, but they are totally impractical for carrying anything with the top down. It's hard to even slide a briefcase into the trunk of those cars when the top is down and stowed there.
1. Test drove the Volkswagen EOS, both the 4 cylinder turbo and the 6 cylinder NA. Surprisingly, it's very hard for me to tell the difference between the two. The 6 felt stronger from a dead stop, but overall they felt very similar. Very quiet with the top up, but then, it's a hardtop convertible with a very tight fitting top.
2. Drove the Toyota Solara. Only comes in 6 cylinder. Dawn liked this one better than the EOS since the LES model really looks classy on the inside (wood trim, Nav system, etc.). Bad point: Ragtop is NOISY with the top up. Even sitting in the dealer's lot before we drove away, we could hear how poorly fitting the top was. Maybe it was just that particular car, but I was surprised at the poor fit on the top.
Next in line are the Daytona and Pontiac G6.
BTW, if a Corvette was in the budget, I would be driving it!
Another possibility is a late model, low mileage used BMW.
Really hoping for the right choice, hate to bite into a lemon.

2003 MIB
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
HARDTOP convertible is a must for firearm storage (I'm assuming Dawn shares your passions). I like my SLK with the V6. Never had any issues with the exception of rear tire wear:o. Coli's owned a few Mazdas and likes them. Miata hardtop might be worth a look.

gmtech
05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
i would advise you to not purchase the pontiac G6...nothing but complaints from the hardtop retractable...tons of tsb's & will require a few more model years to perfect

Bluerauder
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, it's finally happening, we're out test driving new cars for Dawn. She wants a convertible, so that narrows down the choices.

The Bentley Continental GT convertible in light blue is nice. ;) My wife saw one at the Washington Auto Show and said "I like that". For $338K she ought too. :eek:

jgc61sr2002
05-02-2008, 05:32 PM
i would advise you to not purchase the pontiac G6...nothing but complaints from the hardtop retractable...tons of tsb's & will require a few more model years to perfect

I agree. ^^^ My friend had a G6 retractable and Pontiac couldn't find the water leaks. General Motors took it back and gave him a refund less the mileage.

MADRODER
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
....try looking at the new BMW 128i conv....MSRP $33,000, 2k more than the G6 but far more enjoyable to drive and top notch customer service at BMW compared to GM.

Blk Mamba
05-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Pardon me, but why haven't you mentioned the Chrysler Sebring, I've heard that there is power, handling, and I think it has style also.

Aren Jay
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
And if you know anyone tall, they can't get into those Pontiac Saturn convertibles. I've tried on three different occasions. I can't get my legs in.

Mustangs come as convertibles.

PS

The Bentley Continental GT convertible in light blue is nice. ;) My wife saw one at the Washington Auto Show and said "I like that". For $338K she ought too. :eek:

My neighbour has a medium blue one with a tan top. Nice car.

CRUZTAKER
05-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I see a lot of those Solstice around here...with hot women behind the wheel as well.

Great looking car!

You'll need a short leash however.:P

J D
05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Pardon me, but why haven't you mentioned the Chrysler Sebring, I've heard that there is power, handling, and I think it has style also.

+1 on that,

it's what came to my mind when I read what your post

Mike Poore
05-04-2008, 03:25 AM
What did I miss? Not a single mention of the Mustang? Even the V6 has gobs of power, and if she lusts for more it's easily and inexpensively supercharged. In my book, it's an obvious option to at least take a look at that little sweetie. Inexpensive to buy, tons of color choices, great looks, not to mention supremely safe. :)

martyo
05-04-2008, 05:21 AM
What did I miss? Not a single mention of the Mustang? Even the V6 has gobs of power, and if she lusts for more it's easily and inexpensively supercharged. In my book, it's an obvious option to at least take a look at that little sweetie. Inexpensive to buy, tons of color choices, great looks, not to mention supremely safe. :)

I agree!

I am looking for a new daily driver since I have a much longer drive to work.

I have been looking at low mileage '05 and '06 GTs (there are plenty of used hard tops and 'verts for sale, priced well thanks to the economy).

I think you should look in that direction too Ross.

Let us know how you make out.

sailsmen
05-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Mustang is by far the best buy and the most versatile.

Look closely at repair costs for the BMW.

Haggis
05-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Mustangs are like opinions and a**holes, everyone has one.

hot-rauder
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
i drive an 07 solara every once in awhile, and i lvoe it. Its my friends dad's car, and he lets me take it when i am blocked in, they are very nice. His top isn't noisy and it doesnt leak. he bought it in Oct. 07 and now has 17k on it already, and the car is great.

dont let one bad fitting top discourage you.

justbob
05-05-2008, 06:52 AM
BMW 650 i conv. - not practical but sweet
Mustang gt conv. - awesome car for the money, zero trade in
sebring - cute but chrysler
60's coupe deville - oh yeah thats for me, never mind that one

Haggis
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Ross, buy her a Mercedes you know that's what she really wants. ;)

Ross
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I've read some bad reports of the Pontiac and the Chrysler, but I figure it doesn't cost anything to test drive them.
If I could get a new BMW in the same sub $40K range as the Volkswagen or Toyota, that is definitely a possibility.
Mustang, no way. My MM is the first and only Ford that either of us has ever owned, and I've been told that if I ever mention the word "Ford" in our house I'll be shot. My self destructing MM engines have almost cost us a marriage already!
I think Mitsubishi may also have something available.
Mercedes? Please don't suggest that, Gordon. My heart isn't as strong as it used to be!

TiTo35
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM

The eclipse is a girl car...and it does come in a convertible...I hear they are not that bad of a car too...AND nowhere near 40k! Like you said it does not hurt to test drive...thats the first thing I tell ppl looking for a car...."Drive everything!"

MADRODER
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
there is a conv. it's called the spyder^^^^^^^^^^^

MADRODER
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I've read some bad reports of the Pontiac and the Chrysler, but I figure it doesn't cost anything to test drive them.
If I could get a new BMW in the same sub $40K range as the Volkswagen or Toyota, that is definitely a possibility.
Mustang, no way. My MM is the first and only Ford that either of us has ever owned, and I've been told that if I ever mention the word "Ford" in our house I'll be shot. My self destructing MM engines have almost cost us a marriage already!
Mercedes? Please don't suggest that, Gordon. My heart isn't as strong as it used to be!

Ross, my wife and I just bought the Benz 09 C300 and it's almost par with the BMW 128i conv. Take them out for a spin.....

Here's something to help you out..
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-20-2-5023-0-0-0&l=1&w=20&p=2&f=5022&av=4&vt=new&s=297403&z=50123&m3=1206&d3=17250&c3=21&yt3=2008&vt2=New&vt3=New&s2=293317&s3=292585

ParkRanger
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Take a look at the Audi A4 convert. Nice looking and SAFE.

PR :burnout:

offroadkarter
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Noooo, walk away!

Sebring itself is a bad car.

Look into the new BMW 1 series, they are nice cars. Try for the 300hp twin turbo version :banana:

Aren Jay
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I just re-misread this topic title.

Looking for a new wife for the car.

MADRODER
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Noooo, walk away!

Sebring itself is a bad car.

Look into the new BMW 1 series, they are nice cars. Try for the 300hp twin turbo version :banana:

would have bought the 300 hp 135i but the wife and I got into a huge argument on why everything is based on HP & ET's.. story went like this...

Me.....because it is

Her....well I don't care !!!

Me....I do

Her...It's MY bonus money paying for a good portion of this car

Me...Sorry honey, would you like the Benz in black or silver

END OF STORY..... http://www.gtamc.com/forums/images/smilies/owned.gif (http://www.gtamc.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Blk Mamba
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
would have bought the 300 hp 135i but the wife and I got into a huge argument on why everything is based on HP & ET's.. story went like this...

Me.....because it is

Her....well I don't care !!!

Me....I do

Her...It's MY bonus money paying for a good portion of this car

Me...Sorry honey, would you like the Benz in black or silver

END OF STORY..... http://www.gtamc.com/forums/images/smilies/owned.gif (http://www.gtamc.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

You did put up a good fight though, you should be proud of yourself. NOT!

Haggis
05-06-2008, 04:17 AM

DOH!!!

You can get a Mer... German car for under $60k.

And you know she wants one. :D

GAMike
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Something else to consider would be the Volvo Hard Top Vert. New they are pricey in the $40's, but I'm sure you can find a cert. preowned around Houston.

Reasonably quick, nice amenities, and for a change for Volvo, a good looking car.

Bluerauder
05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Chrysler Sebring MSRP $26,530 Loaded $33,915. 3.5 Liter H/O V6 235 HP, 2.69 gears, 16" wheels.

I looked at the Chrysler Sebring years ago when the convertible went for about $25K. At the time, it offered a 2.4L and a 2.6L (I think). Both of them were woefully underpowered. Had to remove the driver front wheel to access the battery. At the time, the $25K sticker was too much for too little car. I might say the same at the current $34K level. Fortunately, I grew out of my "convertible" period and found the MM a couple years later. Glad I waited. No regrets either. Guess I kinda zipped right over my "little Red sports car" phase. :P

Mike Poore
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Guess I kinda zipped right over my "little Red sports car" phase. :P

Like hell you did. :rolleyes:

You haven't reached the curmudgon milestone, yet ...:drive:..that's about then it hits ....I hear. ......just after the Pimpmobile phase :D

Aren Jay
05-06-2008, 07:34 PM
The Chevy malibu is supposed to be quite nice. Comes in a hybrid version and everything.