PDA

View Full Version : Whats for dinner?

Blk Mamba
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I like to eat. I went to school at 50 years old to fine tune my skills, just to cook for myself, and loved ones. What I'm wondering is what's your favorite meal, and yes this includes beverage?

Mine is the meal I made as my final exam, all had to be original recipes.

1) Salad, Mixed Cabbage, & apple salad w/ chopped walnut, and Raisin, & a Vinaigrette.

2) Appetizer Oysters Ponderosa

3)Chicken Breast en Papillote

4) Potato Croquettes

5) Three Berry Shortcake, with Whipped Cream

A glass of raspberry water with the meal to cleanse the pallet, and a glass of whole milk after with the desert.

Later a small glass of brandy, and a good Honduran cigar is nice.

justbob
05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
rare ribeye and shrimp, corn cob, off the barbie, seasoned diced red potatoes, and bush's original baked beans. D*mn i'm hungry

sd8683
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I like to keep it simple, meatloaf and REAL mashed potatoes with peas, carrots or corn, and 2 or 3 tall glasses of whole ice cold milk. Yum

Marauderman
05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
sucks....I can't even spell some of yer ingreedends.........so will stick with meat and potatoes..........

de minimus
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Standing Rib roast
Gravy
Yorkshire pudding
Mashed spuds
peas & carrots

all washed down with a nice Burgundy.

dessert - Stilton & crackers washed down with Port.

Beats the **** out of the KD that I had for supper tonight.

Haggis
05-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Haggis with 30yr old Scotch.

Ms. Denmark
05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
......and it was all sounding so good until...........:D

[quote=Haggis;613048]Haggis with 30yr old Scotch.

Marauder386
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Scotch ... girl ?

Oh, oh ... I get it ... Scotch whiskey ...sorry ...lemme get back on the short bus now ....

"DING ! Fries are done ... "

:cool:

BruteForce
05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Standing Rib roast
Gravy
Yorkshire pudding
Mashed spuds
peas & carrots

all washed down with a nice Burgundy.

dessert - Stilton & crackers washed down with Port.

Beats the **** out of the KD that I had for supper tonight.

Great minds think alike! :food: Except the vino. Good quality sparkling mineral water for me.

Aren Jay
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Baileys cheese cake. (specialty of the White Hart pub in Fyfield England)

A&W Rootbeer in a large frozen glass.

Anything made by Manuel Latrue. (A Belgian baker, bakery owner in Calgary)

The special Shortbread cookies I buy from my local bakery. They melt like butter in your mouth.

Any of the gourmet Cheesecakes I used to make. Too date I have made over 150 unqiue cheesecakes over the past 20 years. Oddly i havn't made one in the last 2 years and in the last two years I have gained more weight than ever before. hmm?

Those English frozen icecream Mars bars.

Freeze dried icecream

Alphabets cereal with half and half (15% MF), before they changed their transfat formula. Now it is just cardboard like.

My mom used to make this awesome beef dish, but given that i do not eat beef anymore I havn't had any in years.
After 3 days marinating in gravy it also melts in your mouth like butter.

Haggis
05-06-2008, 04:22 AM
......and it was all sounding so good until...........:D

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Besides after a few snorts of Scotch, you'll never knew you didn't like it.

Aren Jay
05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I like single Malts.

My Dad collected over 300 of them, but at his wake I gave everyone who came a bottle so I'm down to about 200 now.

Nice and smokey.

sailsmen
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
One is Wrap a Pork Loin in bacon, seasoned above 2 brined chickens smoked w/ Hickory.

Fruit compote.

Mashed sweet potatos.

Squash smothered in onions.

Iceberg lettuce, artichokes, cherry tomatos, green stuffed olives w/ olive oil balamic vinegar

Apple pie with crust made from butter.

I had this for dinner to nite sans the chicken, not enough time to brine so I skipped them.

Another favorite is oysters & bacon fried on a skewer

Pompano sauteed w/ lumb crab meat

Boiled shrimp w/ icberg, anchovie, green olives, crabmeat and creole mustard vinegar

Carmel Custard

I grew up in a house of gourmet cooks and somebody had to be an eater.

My wife is a baker and known for her baked goods. For Thanksgiving she makes apple, choclate pecan and mincemeat w/ hard sauce.

Haggis
05-07-2008, 04:12 AM
My wife is a baker and known for her baked goods. For Thanksgiving she makes apple, choclate pecan and mincemeat w/ hard sauce.

Now I jealous!!!

Dragcity
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Well, You said including beverages. This is a recipe I prepared for an exam I took. It brews well too....

Oktoberfest / Marzen

6 Lb <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Vienna</st1:City></st1:place> Malt
3 Lb <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Munich</st1:place></st1:City> Malt
<FONT face="Times New Roman">
1 Lb <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Crystal</st1:City></st1:place> Malt
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT size=3><FONT face=O.G. - 1.050 – 1.057 IBU Bitterness - 20 – 28
<font face=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>1.5 oz. German Hallertau Hops at 4.0 AA%
<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>¼ tsp Irish Moss
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>German Lager Yeast – Propagate to a volume of 1 quart, reaching high krausen (active fermentation) at end of brewing day.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">8 Gallons dechlorinated water treated to be somewhat alkaline with significant carbonate content.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Process:<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Grind all ten pounds of grain to obtain whole husks, grain cracked in approximate thirds and some flour.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Place grain in mash tun and add 10 quarts (2.5 gallons) of pretreated water at a temperature of 135 *F.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Mash 15 minutes at desired temp of 120 *F = Protein rest.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Decoct 2 times (remove ¼ to 1/3 thick grist and boil for 15 minutes, add back to main mash) and raise mash temp to 150* F and hold temp for 60 minutes – Enzyme reaction starch to sugar.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Ensure the remaining 5.5 gallons of water is at a temperature of 170 *F. This water is used to sparge the mash.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Sparge by adding 170 * water to the mash tun to keep the grain bed afloat (keeping ½ inch of water above the grain).
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Collect the run-off in a vessel large enough to contain 7 gallons of liquid offering additional space for boil over. Ensure run-off does not aerate (falls a distance and splashes). Achieve this by fixing a tube to the outlet of the mash tun which reaches the bottom of the boiling kettle.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Cease sparging when the specific gravity, measured with a hydrometer (liquid cooled to 70*F) falls below 1.008 (a refractometer may also be used).
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Bring wort to a rolling boil in an open top kettle. Add 1 oz. Hallertau hops and boil uncovered for 60 minutes. (Bittering). Add the remaining ½ oz. Hallertau hops and continue to boil for another 30 minutes. (Flavoring). During the final 15 minutes of the boil, add ¼ tsp Irish Moss and immerse the wort chiller into the kettle to facilitate sterilization.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Boiling is complete, the wort must be cooled via the wort chiller. Affix cold water to wort chiller and bring the temperature of the wort to 70 *F as quickly as possible. Avoid aeration of wort until the temp drops below 85 *F.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Transfer cooled wort into a sanitized fermentation vessel. Add the prepared lager yeast to the wort at a rate of 1 quart per 5 gallons. Affix a suitable air lock to the fermentor and let ferment for 5 to seven days at 50 to 60 *F.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Rack beer to another sanitized fermentor and lager at 40 to 50 *F for three to five weeks.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Batch prime the beer with ¾ cup corn sugar and transfer to suitable sanitized bottles. Let stand at 40 to 50 *F for two months.
<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">This recipe appropriately fits the Oktoberfest style due to the use of <st1:City w:st="on">Vienna</st1:City> and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Munich</st1:place></st1:City> malts to achieve the malt character, color and malt aroma expected of this style. The use of traditional German Hallertau hops for bittering and flavor, but avoiding hop aroma adds to the stylistic accuracy of Oktoberfest. Traditional lager yeast, fermented and stored cool gives the well rounded, smooth character expected of this style. No esters should be present due to these steps.
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>A double decoction mash process was incorporated to aid in the malt character and full mouthfeel that is desirable in Oktoberfest beer. The addition of properly measured priming sugar and cold lagered bottle conditioning adds to the appropriate carbonation level, aiding in achieving a creamy mouthfeel and moderate carbonation level.

Zack
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Waffle House
Pizza with Sausage, Pepperoni & Mushrooms, extra sauce.
-or-
Mexican

Blk Mamba
05-07-2008, 03:40 PM
One is Wrap a Pork Loin in bacon, seasoned above 2 brined chickens smoked w/ Hickory.

Fruit compote.

Mashed sweet potatos.

Squash smothered in onions.

Iceberg lettuce, artichokes, cherry tomatos, green stuffed olives w/ olive oil balamic vinegar

Apple pie with crust made from butter.

I had this for dinner to nite sans the chicken, not enough time to brine so I skipped them.

Another favorite is oysters & bacon fried on a skewer

Pompano sauteed w/ lumb crab meat

Boiled shrimp w/ icberg, anchovie, green olives, crabmeat and creole mustard vinegar

Carmel Custard

I grew up in a house of gourmet cooks and somebody had to be an eater.

I've eaten the best I ever ate while living in La., I've been to frog festivals in Reine La., Yam festivals in Opalosas La. And "mudbug" festivals, all over the state, but the best I ever ate was shrimp gumbo at Prudomme restaurant in the Big Easy.

Ms. Denmark
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Besides after a few snorts of Scotch, you'll never knew you didn't like it.Alas me laddie.......I have had the pleasure.(Up in North Conway, NH) And the memory lingers........:D

Haggis
05-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Alas me laddie.......I have had the pleasure.(Up in North Conway, NH) And the memory lingers........:D

Was it the real thing or the puddin'?