PDA

View Full Version : Guitar advice needed

not5-0
05-04-2008, 06:23 PM
My son who is 15 has expressed interest in playing guitar. We went to a music store this weekend and I was overwhelmed by the experience. Basically, I am more confused than ever. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what to get. I did notice many guitar/amp starter kits available on line for about $200.00. Are they a waste of money?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

fastblackmerc
05-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Went thru the same thing with my son.

Find a teacher and get his opinion on what to get. Doesn't have to be the best but don't get the cheapest either. IMHO start with a acoustic guitar (non-electric).

Rocknthehawk
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Start with an electric, you'll be glad you did.

I've been playing bass for 8 years now.

I started with a squier...great starter guitars. I actually recorded a cd with mine, and the producer was amazed at the sound and playability.

the start packs are perfect. The only way to get something cheaper is to buy used equipment.

Rogue also makes cheap starter guitars, but i don't like the playability. Stay away from any retail store brands or off brands. I like squiers, and they're made by Fender.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

Something like that is perfect. That way if he decides he doesn't enjoy it, you're not out a lot of money.

There's also more expensive packages with better amps and guitars.

Motorhead350
05-05-2008, 01:02 AM
I started with an acostic and disliked it, get an electric and it'll be more fun and it's easier to play too. One thing that is really good is the Strat pack I believe. It'll come with a Squire Strat, amp, strap, picks, strings and a dvd lession I think too. I'm not one for those and prefer a Fender or odd ball stuff no one uses like Silvertones and Mosrites, but that Strat Pack is a good starter and will tell you if you son is determine or not, if he is buy nicer gear, but when he just wanted to start the Strat Pack is perfect. Gibson has something too from their Epione (Can't spell it at this hour) models and the Epi is a much better made guitar... I have one of my own.

Tell us what happens. ;)

arejayesss
05-05-2008, 03:19 AM
^^^Good advice there. Check craigslist for a name brand, or starter pack. Sometimes the kids don't continue playing and you can get a kit at 1/2 price.

ckadiddle
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Ask Jman. He is a guitar enthusiast.

Breadfan
05-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Dean Vendetta XM guitar and Line6 spider entry level amp for electric. Will play anything from jazz/blues to metal.

For acoustic Yamaha or Ibanez entry levels aren't bad. Plenty of cheaper acoustics to choose from. Look for playability and wood type, spend $10 more to get a maple guitar over a plywood acoustic. Ask the guy in the store to play a few and listen closely find the best sounding/best playing.

Unless they've gotten better I wasn't terribly impressed by the squier's, a Mexican built standard strat is a good bet though more expensive. Personally I found a big difference between the fender mex-strat and the squier...