PDA

View Full Version : Wheeeeee!!!!!

cruzer
05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Well, it happened like this. I was on my way home in my 1969 Plymouth Barracuda from a big car show (435 show cars) to see my grandaughter off to her prom. Was running late , so I was pushing it a little. There is a merge of 7 lanes of traffic and I had to get to get from the 3rd lane to the 1st lane on my right. There was a nice hole , so, the Escalade in front of me and I moved over. Just as the Escalade was about 1/2 way into the 1st lane, it swerved hard back into lane 2--there in front of me was an old man on a BICYCLE in the 1st lane of a 7 lane merge. I hit the brakes and threw in full right steer--the car swapped ends as it went over the embankment--backwards and sideways--estimated speed--60+ mph. Was airborne about 10 feet and touched down in grass about a foot high. Was able to steer the car until I got it going straight down the hill--stopped about 5 feet from the bottom--engine still running and right - side up. Missed the old man and the Escalade. Drove out a service path, back up on the highway and made it in time to my daughter's house. I wonder if anyone called the police--the last thing they saw was a car going over a 60+foot 45 degree grade embankment.
The pics show the skid marks and the view from where I stopped. My guardian angel must have been with me--I shudder to think what would have happened if the Escalade had gone over.
My pacemaker didn't rev up and my hands weren't shaking--guess experience pays off. My only worry was , how am I going to explain a wrecked $ 35,000 show car ?.
The marauder was safe at home --sure was nice to get back into it.
Sure appreciate my anti-lock brakes. Maury

Black_Noise
05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
you got pics of the cuda?

bigbillybbs
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
WOW :eek: You are lucky you didn’t damage the Plymouth or yourself. I am surprised you didn’t blow any tiers or shocks 10 feet is high up there for a big Barracuda..
God wanted you to see your grand daughter off to her prom.

This is a BAD PLYMOUTH..
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7xctipTf0zmEeM:ht tp://www.dragtimes.com/images/5457-1969-Plymouth-Barracuda.jpg (http://www.dragtimes.com/images/5457-1969-Plymouth-Barracuda.jpg)

DOOM
05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Glad to hear you're ok.

Motorhead350
05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Old School and Old Schoolers never break! :cool:

Black_Noise
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
wow... i thought you totalled it, i didnt read well, or you were still editing when i posted.

Glad everyone and everything it ok

Aren Jay
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Old man on the bike? I have to wonder what you consider an Old Man to be?

Glad you made it, car survived and no-one was hurt.

Haggis
05-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Old man on the bike? I have to wonder what you consider an Old Man to be?

Glad you made it, car survived and no-one was hurt.

You should have been; "Damn 60yr young whippersnappers, no right being on the highways!!"

Glad to hear you are ok Maury.

Pat
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
You built that car well Maury. Happy to see you safe and by the way that was some display of driving skill.

Regards,

Krytin
05-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Very Well Done!
Glad you're ok (the car too).
My underwear never would have made it!

SID210SA
05-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Wow Maury.....glad to hear you are safe!!!

2003 MIB
05-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Glad your okay, Maury...That was about a three year restoration process on the Barracuda, wasn't it? Geez- You darn kids!

Bluerauder
05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
1969 Plymouth Barracuda... old man on a BICYCLE in the 1st lane of a 7 lane merge. I hit the brakes and threw in full right steer--the car swapped ends as it went over the embankment--backwards and sideways--estimated speed--60+ mph. Was airborne about 10 feet and touched down in grass about a foot high. Maury
Sounds like that pilots license came in real handy on your short flight. Glad to hear that this incident had a happy ending -- could have been a real mess.

And he comes back to take pics. :up:

Dayum OLD MEN on bikes. :geezer: He oughta get a Marauder like the rest of us. :rofl:

What the heck was he doing on the highway with a bicycle anyway?????

oldekid
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Good job on missing the old man. That would have really ruined your day.
:beer:

jdando
05-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Yikes :eek:

Glad you are safe.

ckadiddle
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Glad you made it through OK. I will watch out for flying barracuda from now on.

vkirkend
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Just glad to hear you are OK!!!!:o

03blackvegas
05-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Easy Tiger. nice notchback though.

cruzer
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
As I look back on the incident--I'm one lucky fella--if the grass hadn't been high--if I'd hit a rut while sideways---if it hadn't responded to steering commands--if I had been in a top-heavy SUV--all could have been different. The Good Lord looks after his bad young'uns. Just did a complete check of the car--not a single chip in the gold paint--a few scratches in some black trim under the bottom--and a partially crushed exhaust pipe--no scratches ??????? The pic of the slope only shows about half of the run--it was a spectacular view on the way down. I wasn't 15' up in the air--that was horizontal distance at about 1 foot at the most--just cleared the top of the grass. Never did find out how or why the bicyclist got on an interstate or why he swerved into a full speed lane--you can see there was a 6 foot paved shoulder where he could have been safe--guess I'll never know.
Sooo, you young folks, remember this--things happen fast--be alert and prepared to make an instantaneous decision--it'll save your life one day.
By the way--got some great pics of Megan and Brandon--will post tomorrow. Thanks again, Folks, Maury

Bluerauder
05-07-2008, 04:15 AM
:laugh:

--it was a spectacular view on the way down.
Your presence of mind and observations during this incident are remarkable. Take care, Maury. Now you can check THAT box on your "Things to Do" list. ;)