PDA

View Full Version : Progressive is worse than I thought

Motorhead350
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Since the truck was recovered I would think they would fix it right? Well being that they only wanted to give me $3,000 for it when I was gone they don't think it's worth that much. When the truck was recovered I called them and said what had happened. The radio was gone, the CD changer, the ignition was punched and the door lock was punched too. When I said the ignition was punched they said it was a total loss. $3,000 can be given to me, the truck can be auctioned off and I can buy it back if I want and probably end up with $1,000 to put into it. They said I need to replace the steering colum dispite that all it needs is a piece of plastic and $15 ignition to fix the colum, I know this because I would buy parts for this truck often and junkyards are full of them. If they replace the colum I get a salvage title.

I do not know of any help they are giving me the customer. Seems like they are like all big companies... they just care about profit and nothing else. F-ing garbage. Stay away from these people and keep a clean driving record so you do not have to resort to this company.

TAKEDOWN
05-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Go figure! Progressing you around, makes me wonder what ALLSTATE is like. I wonder who/what gangbanger in this wonderful city of ours is enjoying your Radio/CD changer! I'm pretty sure Mayor DALEY is enjoying his progressive profits, from Chicago's citizen/s.

BAD MERC
05-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Get a column used (www.LKQonline.com (http://www.LKQonline.com)) and it's a snap to replace, no airbag - right? Keep it and drive it. I have Geico insurance and HAD Progressive before. Progressive was MORE expensive than Geico by $80/month and I insure two cars now and it's still cheaper. Geico makes me happy to pay every month.

sd8683
05-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Get a column used (www.LKQonline.com (http://www.LKQonline.com)) and it's a snap to replace, no airbag - right? Keep it and drive it. I have Geico insurance and HAD Progressive before. Progressive was MORE expensive than Geico by $80/month and I insure two cars now and it's still cheaper. Geico makes me happy to pay every month.

I don't know how geico can charge charge such cheap prices, they spend all kinds of money advertising in MASS and their insurance is not even available in the state!! Lol

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-12-2008, 05:25 AM
$3,000 for a 1990 blazer sounds more than reasonable

ckadiddle
05-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Since the truck was recovered I would think they would fix it right? Well being that they only wanted to give me $3,000 for it when I was gone they don't think it's worth that much. When the truck was recovered I called them and said what had happened. The radio was gone, the CD changer, the ignition was punched and the door lock was punched too. When I said the ignition was punched they said it was a total loss. $3,000 can be given to me, the truck can be auctioned off and I can buy it back if I want and probably end up with $1,000 to put into it. They said I need to replace the steering colum dispite that all it needs is a piece of plastic and $15 ignition to fix the colum, I know this because I would buy parts for this truck often and junkyards are full of them. If they replace the colum I get a salvage title.

I do not know of any help they are giving me the customer. Seems like they are like all big companies... they just care about profit and nothing else. F-ing garbage. Stay away from these people and keep a clean driving record so you do not have to resort to this company.

Dom, see the highlighted text above. It IS all about the profits. Disregard any warm fuzzy advertising and cute lizards and cavemen. I have stuck with rather expensive State Farm policies for many years. I have had both good and bad experiences with State Farm. I stay with them mainly because the local agent office people advise me of both sides of the story, sometimes costing State Farm corporate a few bucks. I despise all insurance companies, whether it be auto, homeowners, health etc. but like my local people. I had two major claims in the last five years and haven't been dropped or my rates jacked up. Prolly cause they were already pretty high? I dunno. But I cannot afford to go uninsured. State Farm copied me on letters they sent to the attorney of guy I rear ended last year showing they settled with him for 35000 bucks. I guess they have paid out all the money I paid in all these years.

rayjay
05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Progressive did good by me when my DTR was hit 2 years ago. However, my rates continued to climb even though I was not at fault. They could not provide an answer why. GEICO beat them by $350 a year for my two cars, same coverage.

Ozz
05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
This is a warning to everyone who has an older vehicle with upgrades, etc. The insurance company is only going to pay you what they say the vehicle is worth - not what you say it's worth. Get an 'agreed value' policy to make sure this doesn't happen to you. Many of the big boys won't do it but keep searching until you find one that does.
I chose the insurance for my '69 Mustang because they agreed to call my '91 Mustang a 'modified' vehicle and insure it. I have agreed value policies on both.

Aren Jay
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I like the lizard

TiTo35
05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
"Get some grown man insurance"

-the actors from the Progessive commercial

ahess77
05-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Companies have contracts for a purpose. They will do what they are legally obligated to do. If it's not in your contract, don't expect them to help out of the goodness of their bank accounts. Like others have said, if you want something specially covered, then get it in your contract. In insurance terms that's usually a special rider or agreed value.

In my case, my wife had a stock 2003 Bonneville in premium condition. (My wife adds floor mats in addition to the factory floor mats. I don't think any dirt even touches the actual carpet.) So when she totaled it this spring the insurance company paid exactly the value of the car. No more and no less. No arguing what the value is, they had the criteria already defined on how they would determine the pricing. I agreed to this criteria by paying for the insurance. What I was impressed with is that they paid in less than 1 week from the date of the accident.

So, they didn't lie to me, didn't cause me to wait, and did exactly what they agreed to do in the policy. If you don't understand the contract they'll usually explain it to you, and that's where getting a salesman you can trust is important. Some will tell you anything to get your business (lie), others are good people and tell you the way it is.

Get insurance you want in the future, if you want to cover a 1990 Bronco for $10,000 they'll do that no problem, as long as your willing to pay $5000 premiums since their risk will be high.

Ozz
05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
ahess77,
...it appears to be a 1990 Blazer - and oh yea, OUCH that last comment must have hurt! Talk about adding insult to injury...

Motorhead350
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I just don't undertstand why replacing plastic on a steering colum and an ignition is a "total loss." I didn't ask for this. It's a 100 buck repair!

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Thankfully I am insured with the Auto Club of Southern California.
My rates are lowered with the combined homeowners insurance, PLus they are non-profit and rebate a portion of my last paid premium toward the new policy. That saved me over $300. They were $1100 less than Geico, and $850 less than Mercury. In addition, the policy is for 12 months, not 6.
Remember, the insurance company on totaled vehicles only pay the "going rate" on used cars. They do a comparison of local cars for sale and compare them to your vehicle. That is why you are paid well below blue book,

KillJoy
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Any 18 yr old vehicle is worth no more than $3k, save a rare or special make/model/edition.

A K5 Blazer??? Come on!

As for Totaling for the damage you listed, sure... I can see that. They pay a repair shop to do the work: "new" parts are used, perhaps some paint to fix the door handle area....

It adds up real quick.

:up:

KillJoy

Motorhead350
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Any 18 yr old vehicle is worth no more than $3k, save a rare or special make/model/edition.

A K5 Blazer??? Come on!

As for Totaling for the damage you listed, sure... I can see that. They pay a repair shop to do the work: "new" parts are used, perhaps some paint to fix the door handle area....

It adds up real quick.

:up:

KillJoy

I said to forget about the paint because of the door damage, but screw em. I'll just have to take care of this myself or something. It's going to amount to less than a price of a radio. The only problem is I will now have bondo on my drivers door. I need to save up for a real paint job to make it shine again.

Ozz
05-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Take the $3,000, buy the truck back ($1,800) and repair what you can for cheap and have a body shop fix the door. You should still have money left.

Motorhead350
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
That would still give me a salvage title.

fastblackmerc
05-16-2008, 01:29 PM
That would still give me a salvage title.

If you don't plan on selling it, no problem.

Motorhead350
05-18-2008, 07:58 PM
If you don't plan on selling it, no problem.

Well being that it would have a salvage title means it is worth less. So when I have someone apprase it, it won't be worth as much. If something happens to it again I will for sure get lowballed as suppose to biting the bullet and paying for this damage myself.