PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my go-fast goodies today!

Constable
08-20-2003, 02:33 PM
I got bored this morning, so I paid off my insurance for the next 10 months and decided to buy some gadgets. Naturally, I called up Dennis and ordered chip, gears, plugs, and stat. After I got off the phone with him, I called Kooks and ordered a set of coated long tube headers & and an x-pipe kit.

I'd like your opinions on this: what catalytic converters should I go with? Please don't flame me for not buying Dennis' exhaust package. I'm just stubborn and have to be different, that's all.

Hemlock
08-20-2003, 02:50 PM
4.10 or 4.30 RATIO ?? HAVE 18"SUPERFLOW MUFFLERS , NO X PIPE , AND STOCK TIPS(REALLY RESTRICTED , BUT QUITE) CAN HEAR MY KENWOODS .

cyclone03
08-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Don't forget the TC.
Can I use you credit card?

Constable
08-20-2003, 02:56 PM
I do alot of highway driving and, based on the feedback of the membership, decided 4:10's were the way to go. I believe I am going to go with Dynomax cats and mufflers. The mod motors that I've heard with these have been nice and quiet UNTIL you get on it.

Mikeenh
08-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Constable,
I think you should check with some "Jersey Girls" what they would like in your car :banana: :bounce: :rock:

Sidney
08-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey Hemlock, did you lose much top end with the 4:10's, and was the 141mph at 5000 with them?

Constable
08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
P.S. --- For the jersey girls, I'm working on a custom disco-ball setup that drops down from the overhead console. Oh yea, don't forget the coin-op vibrating rear seat!:pimp::lol:

Constable
08-21-2003, 03:23 PM
OK, today I made up my mind and ordered the mufflers and cats. I went with two Dynomax SuperConverters (part #15187) and two UltraFlo Welded mufflers (part #17219). I'm still looking for a shop that will take on the header installation without killing me in labor charges. I think LaRocca's will end up with the job... that way I can get dyno runs done right there in the shop.

jrzygrl
08-21-2003, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Constable
[B]P.S. --- For the jersey girls, I'm working on a custom disco-ball setup that drops down from the overhead console. Oh yea, don't forget the coin-op vibrating rear seat!:pimp::lol:

Sounds to me like you'll need a whole lot more than that to entertain those girls!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

black_hawk
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Constable
I do alot of highway driving and, based on the feedback of the membership, decided 4:10's were the way to go. I believe I am going to go with Dynomax cats and mufflers. The mod motors that I've heard with these have been nice and quiet UNTIL you get on it.

4:10's for the highway your not serious:D

Cheers,
Jim

studio460
08-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Hemlock:

Hey Hemlock, how would you rate the Superflows compared with the Flowmaster 40 Deltaflows? Which one is louder? Louder by how much? Do you have a part number?

I was planning on getting the Ravin 55s until I think Sarge hinted about the fact that they were a bit quieter (I definitely want louder, but not ridiculous). I already have the resonator-delete Megs tips--I'm just waiting to make a muffler decision until I install them. I'm really shooting for the "Camaro SS-with-SLP-exhaust" sound. Would prefer rumble both at idle and at speed (but with tolerable interior noise level). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Constable:

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread--congrats on your new DR package! Also, same questions to you regarding your Ultraflos . . . Thanks!

Bigdogjim
08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Constable
P.S. --- For the jersey girls, I'm working on a custom disco-ball setup that drops down from the overhead console. Oh yea, don't forget the coin-op vibrating rear seat!:pimp::lol:

Is this how you plan to pay for the mods????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Marauderman
08-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by black_hawk
4:10's for the highway your not serious:D

Cheers,
Jim

Oh -But of Course! 4:10's are great for highway as well--Use our search button, Home screen upper left for this subject--you will see it's the choice over OEM gears for most members and it provides quicker highway (road) response and with little to no reduction in fuel use--oh -yeah--RPM's are but few 100 more mostly as well--Tom

Marauderman
08-22-2003, 10:27 AM
[little to no reduction in fuel use--Tom [/B][/QUOTE]

not often one quote himself--but meant to say " littleto no increase in fuel use" --duh!

Constable
08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
NBCShooter, I chose the Dynomax UltraFlo Welded mufflers for a few reasons. Read this:

Traditional muffler designs remove sound in two ways: friction and absorption. Friction mufflers (stock type, turbo type, chambered) may have high backpressure and can cause extremely high resonance and noise inside the vehicle at certain engine speeds (2000 to 3000) RPM.
That is the reason I didn't go with Flowmasters or some other designs. I didn't want that metallic sound or the drone that comes with those mufflers. I also didn't want it to sound like every Mustang on the block. The UltraFlos are essentially a modern, more technologically designed glasspack. Looking through one end, I could see straight through to the other side. Along that tube are a ton of perforations that lead into the fiberglass matting. I also listened to as many Cobras as I could find over the past three months. All sound great, but I need a performance sound that will match the MM's style. If you go to the Dynomax website (www.Dynomax.com), they have a sound clip of a tweaked '99 Cobra with headers, SuperConverters, and UltraFlo's. I think that's the sound I'm looking for.

studio460
08-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks for your post, Constable. I eventually followed a different path (I actually really like the sound of Mustang GT exhausts--to each his own, I guess!) . . .

Now, since I just got the Flowmasters installed I can tell you, there is a nice rumble at idle. A nice roar under acceleration and deceleration. Not "tinny." The sound is full, rich, has LOTS of low frequency, and it's LOUD. For anyone who LIKES the sound of Mustang GTs and Camaro SS' w/SLP exhausts (which I LOVE), then the Flowmaster 40 Deltaflows/resonator-delete tips combo sounds GREAT! Sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic from your original thread.

Constable
08-24-2003, 10:39 PM
No need to be sorry. I live about 15 minutes away from SLP's Toms River shop. There are tons of SS's and Firehawks running around here. I, too, love their "Loud Mouth" series exhaust. Sounds great. I'm waiting on the headers to be coated, but I'll post a sound clip or two (if we can do that stuff) when everything's done.