PDA

View Full Version : Flapping Air Dam

Cordoba1
05-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey guys: The other day, I happened to be driving my other car while a friend was driving my Marauder. I was driving ahead of the 'Rauder, so I could see it in the rear-view-mirror. I noticed that the plastic, black air dam mounted just under the steering system/engine was flapping in the wind. I checked under the car to see if it was loose, but it wasn't. It was fluttering enough that I noticed it, and it probably isn't a big deal -- but to me, it is kind of embarrassing.

Has anybody else noticed that this factory part noticeably flutters at interstate speeds?

Blackmobile
05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Looks like you may need one of these from Magindat, his don't flap in the wind.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31789&highlight=air+deflector

RF Overlord
05-14-2008, 07:23 AM
his don't flap in the wind.no, but I've heard they swing in a breeze...

:lol:

magindat
05-14-2008, 07:31 AM
The factory intent of this dam is to spoil the air under the car causing a vacuum behind the radiator in front of the motor in order to extract heat. If it's flapping, it's not doing it's job.

Mil finish or diamond plate .063 aluminum $100 shipped to you.

magindat
05-14-2008, 07:32 AM
no, but I've heard they swing in a breeze...

:eek: only when I wear shorts!!! :rolleyes:

Blackmobile
05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
no, but I've heard they swing in a breeze...

:eek: only when I wear shorts!!! :rolleyes:

Time for me to leave this thread.....the visuals are killing me.:confused:

Cordoba1
05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
I do have a chin-spoiler installed. I'd wager that it radically changes the under-car air-flow and could be part of the problem.

I'm considering taking it off, anyway. It is starting to warp a little bit. Doesn't seem to be a terribly high-quality part.

TheDonk
05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes they are notorious for that, and with age they tend to stay
bent down making it even worse. You can reinforce it by putting
some stiff material under the end screws to force it to even out.
I use some stiff aluminun strips or angle "iron", etc.

Svashtar
05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Personally I'd take the chin spoiler off, which may be messing up the flow like you said, and get a new air deflector if you're worried about it. I think they're like 24 bucks.

The metal one Magindat offers is very cool, and I've been looking at it for a long time, but I guess I'd just rather have cheap plastic that can give a bit than one that would get really torn up if I hit the curb. (?)

P.S. Magindat, I've seen your diamond plate one, but what is mil finish? Thanks.

Norm

jimlam56
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Time for me to leave this thread.....the visuals are killing me.:confused:
Meeeeee Tooooo! :P

magindat
05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
P.S. Magindat, I've seen your diamond plate one, but what is mil finish? Thanks. Norm.

Plain smooth aluminum. No 'tread'. Similar in color to the timing covers.