PDA

View Full Version : External fuel gauge?

ctrlraven
05-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Not for the MM but for my 89 5.0. The original owner of the car has swapped out the 140mph speedo out for a Ford Motorsport 160mph speedo. The original owner told me the gas gauge wanted to read 1/4 tank more than what was really in the tank.

I don't know if it would be an easy fix or how to go about it to see if it's something I can do myself. The MM is going to be parked for a while and I don't feel like running out of gas in the Mustang.

Local Boy
05-14-2008, 08:43 AM
These things are really not hard to trouble shoot...

Go to autometer's web site...and click on the Tech box for a good explaination on how these gauges work...

Perhaps the original owner changed the sending unit, which has a different ohm setting, from the gauge?

BTW: I have a few autometer fuel gauges of different ohm settings, if you need one cheap...

Good luck...

ALOHA

Breadfan
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Not for the MM but for my 89 5.0. The original owner of the car has swapped out the 140mph speedo out for a Ford Motorsport 160mph speedo. The original owner told me the gas gauge wanted to read 1/4 tank more than what was really in the tank.

I don't know if it would be an easy fix or how to go about it to see if it's something I can do myself. The MM is going to be parked for a while and I don't feel like running out of gas in the Mustang.

Did the speedo swap affect the gas gauge? Is the gauge the problem or is the sender in the tank at fault? I don't see why you can't add an aux fuel gauge, but you'd want to know the sender is accurate before you hook it up, or see if you can get an aftermarket sender and accurate in-tank meter for the new gauge.

Perhaps a simpler solution is to use the trip odometer? Just fill up at a safe mileage based on the mpg's you get vs the size of the tank?

ctrlraven
05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will try replacing the sending unit first and maybe the fuel pump also.

I have been using the trip but just not sure exactly what kind of mileage the car should be getting to start with.

First fill up was the line just before E and it took 10 gallons (13 gallon tank) but since I have been driving it has drop fairly quickly as I have been driving it pretty easy. As it sits right now it's one mark below half a tank with 176 miles on the trip odometer. I think I will just fill up between 180-200 miles on the trip until I replace the sender unit. I do mostly highway driving and the original owner told me it had 2.73 or 2.83 gears in it for some reason and not the 3.08 gears that it was suppose to come with. Don't know if it has anything to do with it being a 25th anniversary edition.

Raudermaster
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Why is the MM getting parked for a while?

ctrlraven
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Numerous things wrong with it and need to be fixed and I don't have the time or money right now. She needs a good rest anyways been driven almost everyday for the past 2.5 yrs.