PDA

View Full Version : TXT message question

Breadfan
05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't text message very much, probably because I have a blackberry I end up emailing. I know if I lose signal, I'll fetch my emails when I get signal back.

Regarding text messages, are they persistant? I.e. if one is sent to a phone that is off or not getting signal will it wait in queue and be delivered when the unit is available or will it vanish into the ether?

So if you wanted to set something up to page automatic notifications via txt message (like a server health monitor app) would it not get lost if you had the phone off. I think I know the answer just curious as I'm not up 100% on text messaging.

Raudermaster
05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
If my phones off (Verizon) and I turn it back on, it pops right up as soon as I have service.

Dark_Knight7096
05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
If my phones off (Verizon) and I turn it back on, it pops right up as soon as I have service.

+1 if the phone is not on, it operates like a voice message does, it is "stored" so to speak and when the phone is powered back on will be delievered instantly.

Try going on vacation to the Caribbean where i don't get cell service and have your phone off for a week and a bunch of friends addicted to texting. i think i had a good 50 messages when i got back.

Breadfan
05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Cool, I know some car alarms will send out pages I wonder if they can be made to send a txt if your car is disturbed...

Dark_Knight7096
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Cool, I know some car alarms will send out pages I wonder if they can be made to send a txt if your car is disturbed...

The pages they send out are signals that are coded to the radio frequency of the transmitter, it's not really like an SMS message, as far as i know i don't think anything does that right now, but then again, i don't know too much
lol

magindat
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Right. Car alarm pagers are RF, not telephone.

Breadfan
05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Right. Car alarm pagers are RF, not telephone.

Yeah, that's correct. Would be cool (and may be the next thing to come out) to see something that can use cellular to send a text. Imagine you go on a trip and leave your car at the airport get a page it was tampered with. Of course that could ruin a good trip if your hundreds of miles away! :eek:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Imagine you go on a trip and leave your car at the airport get a page it was tampered with. Of course that could ruin a good trip if your hundreds of miles away! :eek:

At that point it's just too much information.