PDA

View Full Version : Caliper Paint that DOES NOT suck????

KillJoy
05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know of a caliper paint that DOES NOT SUCK? And actually stands up over time?

I need to paint a set of AL Calipers Black. Powder Coating them would require disassembly and possibly void the Warranty.

:dunno:

KillJoy

Raudermaster
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Steve I just used some Krylon spraypaint on my calipers and sealed them, been on for about 6 months, and they look new still.

magindat
05-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know of a caliper paint that DOES NOT SUCK? And actually stands up over time?

I need to paint a set of AL Calipers Black. Powder Coating them would require disassembly and possibly void the Warranty.

KillJoy

Steve, the secret is to start with etching primer. After that, any decent brand high-temp paint should adhere nicely and hold up.

The corrosive nature of brake dust is gonna eat at anything. My strategy is to use a standard and easy to acquire color. I clean and re-coat about once each 18 months or so. have done so on most cars I've owned.

On the Marauder, I used etching primer and black bar-b-q grille paint. I has held up VERY well. It lasted for about 2 years and looked fine but I recoated late last year when I did the pads just cuz I was there.

Please use at least a dust mask, but better a respirator when using etching primer. I'm one of those idiot tough guys who never uses a mask with spray paint. However, the etching primer - good etching primer will knock you on your ass in about a minute. It's actually spraying out acid. Stuff works great, but don't let it work you!!!!

TiTo35
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM

KillJoy

Exactly what have you used before to say that it sucks?

KillJoy
05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Exactly what have you used before to say that it sucks?

DupliColor Brake Paint

Followed the directions to the "T".

:down:

KillJoy

offroadkarter
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
DupliColor Brake Paint

Followed the directions to the "T".

:down:

KillJoy

your not the only one to have problems with the duplicolor kit, my friend put a dark blue on his maxima and it turned baby blue 6 months later :shake:

Ive tried krylon paint also, no problems.

huot5
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I used G2 gloss black and it's still holding up ..I cleaned like a mofo with brake cleaner and some clean rags to get the surface prepped and even did the oem hats and some other parts underneath. one kit of G2 will do all four calipers, a second coat and then some

DOOM
05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
I used dupont i think. Heres what i did, i used primer first then black caliper paint and then finish with clear coat engine enamel. :coolman:

DOOM
05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
The clear coat will keep the paint from fading.

not5-0
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
The key is in the prep. I used brake cleaner and a wire brush until the calipers were clean. I then primed them and painted them with Folia Tec caliper paint kit. I have used two other paint kits in the past and this was by far the best.http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/637798/fullsize/100_0330.jpg

BAD MERC
05-21-2008, 04:48 PM
From experience - high temp manifold paint lasts forever and is cheap. I use silver on mine and really only need to re-do it every few months. I do them when I take the wheels off to detail the car.

Budman
05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't be a wuss just paint them and be done with it already!If they need another coat at a later date don't be lazy,do it again.:DOh by the way welcome back Jerky.

B.C. Bake
05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Steve I just used some Krylon spraypaint on my calipers and sealed them, been on for about 6 months, and they look new still.

I also used Krylon "black" and it's been about 1 1/2 yrs and it still looks great;) . But I do only drive the MM once in a while.

FastMerc
05-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I used the kit that Eastwood has it worked great and its brushable.

Marylandrauder
05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
What he said!

justbob
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
G2 messy but worth every penny!

03blackvegas
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Please everyone, check out POR 15's web site, they offer caliper paint. I have not used it personally, but I have used their regular paint and its tuff as nails. When I paint my calipers I will use their paint.

CRUZTAKER
05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I am really surprised you of all people are posing this question.

You know that nearly all of us that hang in the Buckeye used Eastwood G3 (WHICH BY THE WAY WAS ON SALE TODAY ONLY OVER THE INTERNET), and it by far the superior product that not only lasts, but is guaranteed not to fade.

Mine look as good as they did 5 years ago.

hyvltge
05-21-2008, 09:33 PM
G2 all the way.

Rocknthehawk
05-21-2008, 10:50 PM
used por-15 and it was awesome

Haggis
05-22-2008, 07:05 AM

KillJoy

Who let Killjoy back in!!!! :mad2:

It was nice and quiet around here.

Daily 03
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I have used the Eastwood Kit on 3 cars and all have held up well.;)