PDA

View Full Version : I made a commitment

Blk Mamba
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
This is an oath I took:

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States ) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Code_of_Military_Justi ce). (So help me God.)

Sometimes, when you loose faith in those you have sworn to obey it is quite alright to defend your way of life, the Constitution, and protect our country against domestic enemies, who you have sworn to obey.

I took this oath 30 years ago, just reflecting today. I think we should all look back.

jdando
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds like some one enlisted!

Congratulations.

Aren Jay
05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Just don't get killed.

tigerbait
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
What branch? US Army here, currently on IRR.

Blk Mamba
05-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I joined the USMC Jan. 1969, and it took me 30 years to realize what I had done.

tigerbait
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
:flag: :beer: :flag:

1stMerc
05-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I joined the USMC Jan. 1969, and it took me 30 years to realize what I had done.

Shoot i was still in grade school. Thanks for your service.:beer:

Blk Mamba
05-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I didn't write this for the thanks, or glory, it was intended to be a wake up to all those who took a similar oath, and had forgotten that it is a life long commitment, and when our country is in trouble, (as it is now) that we need to stand up and defend her against all enemies, foreign, and domestic.

HiHo
05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I didn't write this for the thanks, or glory, it was intended to be a wake up to all those who took a similar oath, and had forgotten that it is a life long commitment, and when our country is in trouble, (as it is now) that we need to stand up and defend her against all enemies, foreign, and domestic.

An excellent sentiment and one I have shared in the past few years. I really wish the treason and sedition laws were actually enforced. Perhaps people in Congress and media would think twice before undermining our efforts in this war by constantly providing aid and comfort to the enemy.
If WWII were fought today, we wouldn't have gotten past Midway before the media and opposition party would be calling for "disengagement".
Sad. Hate to see what happens if B. Husein Obama is in any position of power.

Larry Durham
05-26-2008, 04:31 AM
This is an oath I took:

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States ) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Code_of_Military_Justi ce). (So help me God.)

Sometimes, when you loose faith in those you have sworn to obey it is quite alright to defend your way of life, the Constitution, and protect our country against domestic enemies, who you have sworn to obey.

I took this oath 30 years ago, just reflecting today. I think we should all look back.

Took the same oath in 66. Where does the time go?

Bluerauder
05-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I took a similar oath some 36 years ago .... 28 May 1972 to be exact. And I have administered that oath to many others since then including my son on 15 May 1999. The oath of office for Officer's is slightly different than for Enlisted.

Ms. Denmark
05-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks Guys for your service to our Country. My Dad was in The Navy in WW2, stationed at Treasure Island and Pearl Harbour. He truly embodied the best of " The Greatest Generation" Decency, honor and respect...Happy Memorial Day! Miss you Dad.

finster101
05-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I took that same oath some 36 years ago .... 28 May 1972 to be exact. And I have administered that oath to many others since then including my son on 15 May 1999.

Sadly, as those who have served know, fighting is a young mans game. During the first Gulf War my wife commented on how the soldiers all looked like kids. They are, we were. I am proud to have served (79-83), and prouder still of the troops serving today. I can't imagine the challenges they face with the type of warfare they are faced with. They have my deepest respect and gratitude. I do not want to turn this thred political, but with the upcoming election careful consideration should be taken with the direction that this Nation may be headed in.

Haggis
05-27-2008, 04:43 AM
I also took that oath and even though I still believe in it today that oath is only valid for your term of enlistment or commission. That is why every time you reenlist you retake the oath; it is not a life long commitment.

I would gladly defend my country, our way of life and the Constitution of the United States today against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Now we come to the tricky part, how do you define a domestic enemy? Timothy McVeigh is a good example, but how about those that wish to change the Bill of Rights or the Constitution? How about those that wish to change the laws for their own benefit, but not for the better of the nation? Do we only define those as 'Domestic enemies' that commit violent acts against the citizens of this country? Or can elected officials be defined as 'Domestic enemies' if they try to change laws that grant us rights as American citizens?

What if our elected officials were to pass a law stating that the 'Bill of Rights' were no longer reverent, then what? Do they have that right, why not; they were elected to office by the laws of this country.

Those of you that mentioned revolution in another thread have made treasonous remarks against this country are you now considered 'Domestic enemies'?

Remember what this country stands for, remember the 'Bill of Rights' and remember the 'Constitution of the United States' and above all this weekend remember those of our Fathers, Mothers, Brothers and Sisters, Sons and Daughters that gave their lives to protect our Freedom and our way of life. Not just this Memorial Day, but everyday of your life.

Remember it does not matter if you are a Democratic or Republican or what ever your party affiliation is, the thing to remember is that we are all Americans and we must all take a hand in protecting our freedom and way of life against all 'Enemies foreign and Domestic'.

Krytin
05-27-2008, 04:51 AM
I also took that oath and even though I still believe in it today that oath is only valid for your term of enlistment or commission. That is why every time you reenlist you retake the oath; it is not a life long commitment.

I would gladly defend my country, our way of life and the Constitution of the United States today against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Now we come to the tricky part, how do you define a domestic enemy? Timothy McVeigh is a good example, but how about those that wish to change the Bill of Rights or the Constitution? How about those that wish to change the laws for their own benefit, but not for the better of the nation? Do we only define those as 'Domestic enemies' that commit violent acts against the citizens of this country? Or can elected officials be defined as 'Domestic enemies' if they try to change laws that grant us rights as American citizens?

What if our elected officials were to pass a law stating that the 'Bill of Rights' were no longer reverent, then what? Do they have that right, why not; they were elected to office by the laws of this country.

Those of you that mentioned revolution in another thread have made treasonous remarks against this country are you now considered 'Domestic enemies'?

Remember what this country stands for, remember the 'Bill of Rights' and remember the 'Constitution of the United States' and above all this weekend remember those of our Fathers, Mothers, Brothers and Sisters, Sons and Daughters that gave their lives to protect our Freedom and our way of life. Not just this Memorial Day, but everyday of your life.

Remember it does not matter if you are a Democratic or Republican or what ever your party affiliation is, the thing to remember is that we are all Americans and we must all take a hand in protecting our freedom and way of life against all 'Enemies foreign and Domestic'.

I second that!

Thanks Gordon!

PonyGuy
05-27-2008, 11:04 AM
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including his/her life”…

I wrote such a check at Great Lakes Naval Training Center on August 30, 1961
<o:p></o:p>

Blk Mamba
05-27-2008, 04:37 PM

In another time, and under different conditions Tim M, might have been considered a hero, (not by me), but many during the American Revolution committed hanus crimes, and were heros. And yes I do feel that some of our elected officials are domestic enemies. And no I don't think my commitment has any time limit, it is my choice to defend my country till my death.

Bluerauder
05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
In another time, and under different conditions Tim M, might have been considered a hero, (not by me), but many during the American Revolution committed hanus crimes, and were heros.
You have got to be kidding ^^^^. 168 dead including 19 children in the Day Care Center and 450 injured. :( At what time and under what circumstances are you suggesting that McVeigh would be a hero? :dunno: I can think of absolutely NO circumstances that would justify such an attack.

Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah building in Oklahoma City, OK was the single most deadly case of domestic terrorism in the US on record.

OBTW --- the word is heinous. :rolleyes:

TAKEDOWN
05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Proudly took the oath in 1996!

ParkRanger
05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Be careful not to confuse patriotism with nationalism.

Blk Mamba
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I never said that I considered him a hero, I stated that at a different time, and different circumstances "some" might consider him a hero, and yes I understand the loss of life, and innocent children in a daycare center, I stated he was not a hero in my eyes. There are more than him out there who are empowered by his actions, and they should not be confused with my own sense of urgency. Please do not put me in that class of lunatic. OBTW---I never said that I was a spelling bee champion.

2,4shofast
05-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Took the oath in June 0f 99...still active

Vortex
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
In another time, and under different conditions Tim M, might have been considered a hero, (not by me), but many during the American Revolution committed hanus crimes, and were heros. And yes I do feel that some of our elected officials are domestic enemies. And no I don't think my commitment has any time limit, it is my choice to defend my country till my death.

McVeigh was a mass murderer, a baby killer and should have been publicly hung (along with the Nichols brothers and that guy from Arizona). I think you are talking out of your ass.

cruzer
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
In October, 1950, Ginny and I took this oath as officers in the USAF. In the past 1/2 century a lot of water has passed under the bridge--we are honored to have made a small contribution. In the past , there have been wars, police actions and pre-emptive strikes. The people making decisions at those times truly felt they made the right decisions, based on the info that was available at that moment in time. Be slow to second-guess them--you weren't " in their shoes" as that time--it is easy to look back after it is all over and say, "they should have done this"--they didn't know what you now know. I happened to be with President Kennedy during the final days of the Cuban Missle Crisis. No average person can even imagine the soul-searching he did and the agonizing he did over his decisions. So , do your research before you start being an "expert" in the political field. There was one major difference in how things were done in the past. The government operated a massive network of secret operations--and the media knew of this , but, respected the government's right to do this. Many things now being said every day by the media would have been procecuted as treason in WW II. If the media had not honored the government's right to do these things, we would be speaking Japanese, German or Russian right now.
There are not enough guts in Washington to tell the media , "report the news, don't try to manipulate history". We have reached the point , in this country, that the media can say anything, true or not, and a portion of the public will blindly believe it and react to it. It is high time the "silent majority" started yelling like H-----"we've had enough". It is time for the people to put the right people in the right places and end this "rule by media" world we live in. For God's Sake, use the power vested in you by the Constitution and Bill of Rights and get this country back on course--take the running of this country away from the media and the corporations and the billionaires and return us to the status of a nation that is made up of hard workers, building their own futures . I'm tired of seeing all our technical and manufacturing skills "out-sourced" --we can build anything better than anyone else--if the powers that be allow us to.
Ginny and I are too old to change the world, but you young'uns can. Good Luck--you're gonna need it. Vote your concience and give government back to the people and those we elect--VOTE--to H--- with "party lines"--vote for the one who'll do the best job for all of us.
Now--thanks for letting an old man vent--but, honestly, this country is in the worst shape it has been in in my 80 years of life--fix it before it's too late.
God Bless America. 1st Lt Mildred "Ginny" Seitz, USAFN and Capt Jewell "Maury" Seitz, USAF

Blk Mamba
05-29-2008, 04:20 PM
McVeigh was a mass murderer, a baby killer and should have been publicly hung (along with the Nichols brothers and that guy from Arizona). I think you are talking out of your ass.

How many native Americans were mass murdered by heros in the name of freedom, not talking out my a$$, and never said he was a hero.

Haggis
05-30-2008, 04:07 AM

Look all of you, you are attacking trash for no reason. See above^^^ I highlighted the part of his quote you all seemed to have missed.

And what he says is true, some idiot out there would probably believe that McVeigh was a hero. Back to my question would you all consider an attack against the admendments in the 'Bill of Rights' and/or the 'Constitution' as a 'Domenstic Enemy'?

Blk Mamba
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Look all of you, you are attacking trash for no reason. See above^^^ I highlighted the part of his quote you all seemed to have missed.

And what he says is true, some idiot out there would probably believe that McVeigh was a hero. Back to my question would you all consider an attack against the admendments in the 'Bill of Rights' and/or the 'Constitution' as a 'Domenstic Enemy'?

Thank You, and yes I would.