PDA

View Full Version : "get it now, or you've missed your chance''

Glenn
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
See this very interesting link about:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="97%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headV colSpan=2>"High-horsepower cars zoom to extinction"

http://www.bankrate.com/att/news/car-advice/20080523_high_horsepower_futur e_a1.asp

Glenn :burnout:

</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=byline></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--function MM_openBrWindow(theURL,winName ,features) { //v2.0 window.open(theURL,winName,fea tures);}//--></SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Breadfan
05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
The 35mpg fleet average requirement is a horrible thing, put in place and voted on by people who haven't got a clue about anything.

Another one of those laws that's easy for anyone in congress to stand behind - hey look at me I support better MPG's, vote for me! And easy to make someone look like a bum if they don't support it.

The losers in the end? Car makers and car buyers.

Congress reps and senators benefit, but that's about it.

Car makers already suffering cash problems are going to really get squeezed here. Car buyers who like choice will lose choice. Hobbyists suffer (once again).

How stupid are these people to not understand how averages work?

35mpg COMBINED is hard out of most cars. Subcompacts and compacts are the best candidates right now to even REACH that.

So now larger cars must reach and exceed that.

The problem again - people don't understand averages.

You can have 10 cars doing 30-40mpg averages, but one or two getting 10-15mpg (like big gas trucks, sports cars, etc) are going to kill that average fast.

So we lose.

This law or "mandate" needs to be changed!

CONGRESS: Keep your hands off my engine. Let the engineers do the work, and the market (consumers) drive the choice. Try doing something worthwhile for a change, something to actually help society, the economy, or our national security. Stop trying to ruin our economy, our choice, just so you can look good come November.