PDA

View Full Version : Snap,crackle, Pop

RUSTY
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
With the mild weather out I have been driving my MM around with the windows down enjoying the exhaust tone and not so much the noisy pops and cracking sound from the chassis.
I have always had a small pop now and then while going over speed bumps or stepping on the gas and tried looking for it and joking about letting it go so that it will get easier to find. But now I have noises coming from every corner of my car at any twist, bump or rut.
I am quite sure it is coming from the body mounts and I was just wondering if I was the only one driving a car this noisy?

scruff
05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
your not the only one,, mine makesnoises when turning full left or right

fordman
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
My first MM was a 04. It was so hard to roll down the windows and listen to all the different sqeaks. Not only that, I had a squeak in the interior also. Long story short, after 2 different Mercury dealers, ended up being 2 dash brackets rubbing together that was making the interior noise. The outside sqeaks where never figured out. Could not pull out of a tight parking spot with it because it would die out after I would turn the wheel and give it gas. Of course it wouldn't do it when the dealer had it though. Some Marauder owners here would tell me mine HAD to be built on a Monday. Bought that car with 20k miles from a co worker who I know NEVER beat on it. I now have a 03 that is making the same stupid noise when I hit bumps. But believe it or not, after owning a 06 Impala SS which I liked for about a week, I'll never own anything but a Ford and I still wouldn't drive anything else but a Marauder ;). Bottom line is as scuff said your not alone.

RUSTY
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Some people have said hood squeaks or parking brake,both of these are fixed thanks to the forum.
I can feel one of the pops coming from under my left foot. I think this weekend I am going to tighten the crap out of the mounting bolts.

Mike Poore
05-30-2008, 04:17 AM
It's an age thing, guys. Once you hit 50, and beyond, the tinnitus kicks in and you can't hear those little annoyances anymore. .....Or nearby loved ones *****ing at you. :rolleyes:

magindat
05-30-2008, 04:35 AM
With the mild weather out I have been driving my MM around with the windows down enjoying the exhaust tone and not so much the noisy pops and cracking sound from the chassis.
I have always had a small pop now and then while going over speed bumps or stepping on the gas and tried looking for it and joking about letting it go so that it will get easier to find. But now I have noises coming from every corner of my car at any twist, bump or rut.
I am quite sure it is coming from the body mounts and I was just wondering if I was the only one driving a car this noisy?

your not the only one,, mine makesnoises when turning full left or right

Ball joints.

RUSTY
05-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Ball joints.

With 40 000 miles?

magindat
05-30-2008, 04:57 AM
With 40 000 miles?

YEP.......

baltimoremm
05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
how do you fix the parking brake noise?

racorcey
05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
It's an age thing, guys. Once you hit 50, and beyond, the tinnitus kicks in and you can't hear those little annoyances anymore. :rolleyes:

Yo Mike! I'm 58, have had tinnitus all my life, and still hear annoying squeaks and rattles. Maybe when I turn 60....

magindat
05-30-2008, 08:08 AM

There's supposed to be a hanger spring near the bias mechaism in front of the driver rear wheel.

BigCars4Ever
05-30-2008, 10:08 AM
I get crackling from the condensation from the AC hitting the exhaust. This drove me nuts untill I figured it out. Here in FL it happens all the time but especially over bumps and on rihgt hand turns. No AC on no noise.

TAKEDOWN
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM

If you don't ever use them...take them off! Never used them in Chicago and parking brake started screwing with my rotors...SO OFF THEY WENT! I don't plan on drifting, parking on a hill, or attempting in a car accident to PAUSE the scenerio and use the emergency brakes while applying regular brakes at the same time. Just my opinion!

max454
05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I have them too, all around, its not the balljoints,they are in front ;), not in my case anyway, i also think its from the body pucks moving around.

RUSTY
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
OK Its not the balljoints, Today I jacked up the car and had a look.
This is where the job creep started, I found that the front brakes were quite worn on the inside surface so I installed my KVR brakes and while I was there I decided to cut the coil springs by 5/8 of a coil.
Tomorrow I might install my new brake lines and I guess I should keep looking for were the noises are coming from.