PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to car culture?

Motorhead350
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Alright I have only been in this world for 22 years and I want to know something: Does it seem like Car Culture (not the magizine) has been rising in the past ten years or does it just seem this way? Stop me if I sound stupid, but it seemed when The Fast and The Furious came out in 2000 all of the young people wanted to go fast or as least started investing in aftermarket parts for their cars... even if it did nothing.

I didn't notice anything before that film and it seems like there are more car movies (still more to come) coming out now than anything from the mid 80s to 90s. Recently is seems to have died down a little due to the gas prices, but still did the hobby take off or did it just seem that way? Maybe it's always been at about the same level.

Your opinion on this subject please.

Darkside
06-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Its always been that way. I think with the internet being so big now, its made it easier to get aftermarket parts. Years ago it was all about the 5.0's and Irocs. Before that it was trying to get the muscle cars.

Professor
06-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Don't take this wrong, but you're just young. The automobile has been an important part of U.S. culture since WWII. Whether it was the early 50's Hot Rod craze, the late 50's and fins, the 60's and early 70's muscle car movement, the late 70's & early 80's Euro invasion, the 80's pony car rebirth, the ricer movement of the 90's or the current hp wars ... cars have long been a major part of the psychology of the extended self in the US. Amusingly, each generation thinks they invented the car craze. Kind of like my Dad said to me, "It's funny how each generation thinks they were the first to invent sex, music and party."

O's Fan Rich
06-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Dom, you gotta stop listening to all that Punk stuff.
Even rock music, the good early stuff was full of car references.
The Not so Fast and never Furious movie just glorified ricers.
Get out to some Rod runs and local car shows and look at all the wrinkles on guys and gals who have been doing this stuff way before your dad was even getting the glimmer in his eye.
Sign your band up for some of those shows and meet some real hotrodders. Not the wannabe's like me.

Haggis
06-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Not the wannabe's like me.

Like you wannabe a Yankees' fan.

Hack Goby
06-04-2008, 06:20 AM
They have always been out there Dom.This B movie was the fast and the furious of my generation lol.http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/4/0/HRTH_Poster.jpg

Hack Goby
06-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Or this classic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcIGPQST9s

O's Fan Rich
06-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Like you wannabe a Yankees' fan.

Love 'em when they lose! Go Joba!!!!:D:D:D

Bluerauder
06-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Kind of like my Dad said to me, "It's funny how each generation thinks they were the first to invent sex, music and party."

Ain't this the truth. :D

Egon Spengler
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Since the fast and the furious... TUNER car culture has become super popular, but performance and hot rodding has always been around... look at "greased lightning"... I am only 25, but being around my dad and his friends who all have hot rods, performance etc has been around for awhile... After the release of the fast and the furious... TUNER cars came out of nowhere and I wish they would have stayed in nowhere... I can't stand the sound of a 4 banger... I only like the sound of a v-twin or american V8... see signature below

Motorhead350
06-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Dom, you gotta stop listening to all that Punk stuff. Even rock music, the good early stuff was full of car references.
Sign your band up for some of those shows and meet some real hotrodders.

Oh I totally know that Rich. "Punks" couldn't really afford cars and the only thing close to a punk rock car song would be The Clash covering Brand New Cadillac or Black Flags Drinking and Driving... eventhough it's about making fun of peer pressure.

I know there have been car songs for quite a while. The first Rock N' Roll song ever was a car song called Rocket 88 done back in 1951. Chuck Berry had a ton of car songs and so did the Beach Boys so there's the 50's and 60s. 70's I'm not so sure about other than The Doobie Brothers doing Rockin Down The Highway, but I don't like them. Stray Cats had a few car songs from the 80s, but they were an older style and let's not forget Reverend Horton Heat with songs like 5.0 Ford and Big Red Rocket... there's the 90s.

See Rich I'm not just stuck on Punk and old school Rock N' Roll, but I have my favorites. :D

Now my band is actually playing a car show this weekend in Wisconsion devoted to cars 1970 and before, but it'll have some Rat Rods too!

I'm on it buddy! :burnout:

justbob
06-04-2008, 06:56 PM
The reason Irocs and 5.0's rulled the day was because of the mass quanities built and not much other choice out there. As for car culture its never died out and never will. It will just have its ups and downs, history repeats and real soon here we will be seeing overaboundance of srt8's, mustangs, and what not laying around the dealerships for pennies on the dollar. I've been looking around at navigators for the wifey for awile now and omg they are cheap now!!! She only put 2500 miles on last year so who cares about fuel, nows the time to buy up those cars boys and girls and put them away. Anybody who says that they will never go up in value should take a quick history lesson. Our modern day muscle cars aren't going to survive so enjoy and lets see what the next crop of performance vehicles comes are way.

Aren Jay
06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
when the economy booms, then it seems that way, when reccessions come you will see a different trend.