PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Size/bushings/links

MI2QWK4U
08-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know for a fact the size of the factory sway bars, front and rear. I plan on ordering the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for both. I spoke with them today, and they have no plans of marketing the master set for the Marauder, and we would have to piece a set together from the universal kits out there.
I just need to verify what I have been told before buying parts. I have it that the front is 21mm, and the rear is 1 1/8in.
Does anyone know the right size for the sway bar end link? We need to know the length of the OEM spacer sleeve for the correct length.

TAF
08-22-2003, 12:53 PM
I would call Dennis...even though your not buying the sway bar from him...I bet he'd help you.

RF Overlord
08-22-2003, 02:05 PM
According to Addco, the front is 1¼"...I know the rear is 21mm, as I recently replaced mine with Dennis's upgrade (to 25.4mm/1").

Both the front and rear specify the same end-link kit (Addco p/n 016)...End links are specified in "functional length", not sleeve length...the functional length is 5" for both...this measurement is from mounting-point to mounting-point, so it include one bushing each at top and bottom...

Addco's site (www.addco.net) has a lot of good info on suspensions...

MI2QWK4U
08-22-2003, 02:14 PM
God I love this Forum...thanks RF...

Pantherman
08-22-2003, 09:19 PM
The rear links are conventional, but the front stock links have ball joints at both ends. That gives better response than anyone's aftermarket bushings. The front links also attach directly to the spindle, which makes the bar much more effective than it would be with conventional lower arm attached links.

Warpath
08-25-2003, 08:49 AM
I second Pantherman's statement. You'll probably make things worse if you change the links in the front (if you can find replacements). Second, the bushings on the front bar are bonded to the bar. You'll have to cut them off. IMO, you'll probably make things worse by changing front bushings. The bonded bushings help with on center feel. Changing them may make things more sloppy and more vague. I don't know for sure though. I personally wouldn't do it.

RF Overlord
08-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks Pantherman and Warpath...I have experience with the rear sway bar, but not the front; I was going by the info on Addco's site...

Originally quoted by MI2QWK4U:
"God I love this forum"...

Me, too! :D