PDA

View Full Version : Don't get your gears changed at a Stealership!!!

Professor
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
So ... here in east North Carolina, good speed shops are few and far between. So ... I decided to see if I could find any Ford or Mercury dealerships around town that would make the change. Mind you ... I have the gears (ring & pinion), install kit and girdle (all Ford Racing Products) and 3 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil. So, all they need to do is the labor and charge accordingly .....

they quoted me $586 for LABOR ONLY!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I've found a couple of speed shops within an hour that will do it for $200. My only hesitation is that both "speed shops" are fundamentally one man bands working out of a single bay. I want it done right .... but $586?? :mad2: Makes me wonder ... is the Royal Purple for my rear-end or the Marauder's?? :shake:

Egon Spengler
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I go to a one man band and am very happy with him... he works out of his garage and does it for little to no money... just enjoys working on vehicles!! Sometimes, though it is very rare... saving money isn't always a bad thing

TiTo35
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
You say east NC? I have an uncle who has a shop in NC and he is a FORD racing man. His shop is in Kinightdale and he was the person who told me to by my MM...I dont know exactly where you are in NC but I can ask him if you want me to.

Professor
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
You say east NC? I have an uncle who has a shop in NC and he is a FORD racing man. His shop is in Kinightdale and he was the person who told me to by my MM...I dont know exactly where you are in NC but I can ask him if you want me to.

Isn't Knightdale in or around Raleigh? I was trying to avoid traveling an hour away to get a 4 hour job done ... but now I'm starting to run out of options. Ask him and let me know (at your convenience). I was trying to get this done next week so I could have it ready for my father's visit on June 15 ... but it's beginning to be a pain in the keister.

When I lived in South Florida ... good speed shops (even specialty Mustang shops) were a dime a dozen. Here I mention the Marauder, Royal Purple gear oil, gear changes, etc. and I get these looks of bewilderment. I bet I could get a roll bar with KC lights mounted in 2 hours. ;)

RF Overlord
06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I go to a one man band and am very happy with him... I go to a two-man band working out of a non-descript 2-bay wooden building and am also very happy. I've learned with mechanics that appearances are frequently deceiving.

jdando
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I go to a two-man band working out of a non-descript 2-bay wooden building and am also very happy. I've learned with mechanics that appearances are frequently deceiving.

These guys did my brakes and they rock :D

Aren Jay
06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
That is the expected total.

4 hours labour at what ever they charge.

You pay to play.

1stMerc
06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Isn't Knightdale in or around Raleigh? I was trying to avoid traveling an hour away to get a 4 hour job done ... but now I'm starting to run out of options. Ask him and let me know (at your convenience). I was trying to get this done next week so I could have it ready for my father's visit on June 15 ... but it's beginning to be a pain in the keister.

;)

You can use part of that travel back time as part of the breakin period.

rayjay
06-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Sounds like they quoted book time plus tax. I had an offer to do it for free if I wanted, but this is my DD and with 93 at $4.39 & climbing daily, I'll stay with the OEM.

Pat
06-04-2008, 05:16 PM
My mech works at a tire/service center, multibrand but does "heavy" work on the side at the service enter. They set him up in a bay with lift and everything he needs cause he's that good. He splits the take with the Center. His labor charge was $316.00. Parts, lube and bit/pieces separate.

His work is still in my rear end, oops!, that didn't sound right.

I mean the gears he installed are still in my Marauder's differential.

my_rodder
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I married my "work out of my garage" guy. The job that won me over was a tranny fluid change delivered at 3 AM so I could get to work:D.
I work with a lot of these guys for my job and they are some of the most honest and best guys you'll you'll find.

FormulaMarauder
06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Don;t forget, it's quite a bit of labor. Pull tires, pull brakes, pull axles, pull driveshaft yoke, pull cover, pull (scrape) gasket, drain, disassemble current R&P, pull bearings, clean up, mock new set, girdles, R&P, check tolerances (This could be a ***** sometimes) fluid, gasket, reassemble yoke from driveshaft, axles, brakes, tires, test drive, etc. I'm sure I missed a bunch of steps. I't ain't cheap.

gdmjoe
06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Professor .....
I know you indicated that you were ... trying to avoid traveling an hour away to get a 4 hour job done, however, had mine done @ Haywood Custom Speed (http://www.haywoodcustomspeed.com/) <<<<< -click-
*Great guys and did a good job (gears, girdle, etc.).

Comment: I see that they've relocated to Benson (were in Raleigh just down the road from the state fair grounds)

JamesHecker
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Depends on the dealer. My dealership installed my 410's with a warranty repair of the rear axle. Cost me the warranty deductable only!

Oh yea, they also installed the matrix drive shaft and the high stall torque converter at the same time for next to nothin'!

Da Dark Jedi
06-06-2008, 05:12 AM
The basic labor charge from the Ford dealership in Chicago charges $94.00 an hour, I think Mercury charges a bit more. This is a union city so that's the book rate.

Professor
06-06-2008, 05:47 AM
It's odd. I've been quoted anywhere from $200 (3 hours labor) to $586 and 7 hours labor. So now ... I've got a choice between a one man band 20 miles south of me who swears he's done it many times, will do it next week for $200 in about 3 to 4 hours (depending on the condition of the bearings) OR I can take it to a very reputable speed shop about an hour away that wants $525 plus the cost of bearings if they have to be replaced. The speed shop is run by two ex Ford dealership guys and has been around for 11 years. They have a garage full of racing Mustangs and a good reputation.

RF Overlord
06-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Professor, it's a tough call.

The speed shop has "ex Ford dealership guys" and "a garage full of racing Mustangs"...that means they are used to charging high prices and having people pay them without question.

OTOH, the one man band doesn't have the dealer background or the overhead of a "speed shop", so he can charge less. That doesn't automatically mean he's less competent.

All I can suggest is to find as much info as possible about the one-man band and then go with your gut (and your wallet).

burt ragio
06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
RF Overlord is right you can't judge a book by it's cover. I know the shop Bob & Jdando are refering to. I went to the same shop to inquire on some work well over a year ago I was going to have done. As I was talking to the guy looking around it was an old buiding in a not so great part of town. The mechanic looked like someone off the street. Cloths were dirty unshaven hair hadn't been cut in six months and very little eye contact. All not a good 1st impression in selecting a mechanic considering spending money & having to place trust in someone. But the shop was clean. I walk away saying I will find an alternative. Since I have made a few inquires when possiable and have found they do good work.

ludwigvan968
06-08-2008, 06:29 AM
yeah finding a good mechanic/speed shop is tough. I have both! Plus myself. I have a mechanic (one man band), for anything non-performance related or lightly related. He did my suspension upgrades, power steering, things like that. My speed shop did my SCT, my tuning, my slotted brakes (probably could have had them done by the mechanic).

So the question for me was the same you had at your feet. My mechanic charges about 60 an hour, my speed shop charges about 90. While my mechanic said he could do my rear-end and has done many, he said I should probably take it to a speed shop because they do so many high performance ones they should know how to do them with their hands tied behind their back.

That being said, I did take mine to my speedo shop, here is the write up:

http://www.live.jtlopez.com/?p=41

I am overall satisfied with their job, however it did take some going back and fourth to get it just right. I had to get my driveshaft balanced and a 23-tooth speedo put in (96 GM). I also had them tune my tranny while at it, since they had to go in there anyway. I spent about 1200 over all for all the parts and labor. That might sound like a lot, but if you read my write up, that includes a lot, I thought I had a trac-loc and did not, they were able to find me a used one for 100 dollars, now that is service! (usually cost 225 dollars new).

But yeah, whether you are looking for a one man band or a shop, expect a lot from them. Walk-in and look for the owner, tell them you are interested in establishing a relationship with them and that you would like to know about how they work, how they will work with you and your car. That is how I selected the shops I work with, because even if you get a good mechanic, but they can't communicate well, you will eventually grow tired of the "antics". Also, when you get work done anyone other then a one man band, establish who is in charge, introduce yourself, that way if you have any problems, they already know your name and face.

So yeah good times. I love my new rear-end, it is awesome!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention myself. I do my oil changes, minor fixes (anything I can plug-in or do with simple tools) and also wash and polish my own car.

P.S. here are pics of my two mechanics places:

Speed Shop

http://jtlopez.dyndns.org/gallery/buams2008

One man band

http://jtlopez.dyndns.org/gallery/album603

Exhaust shop I used:

http://jtlopez.dyndns.org/gallery/album602

Yes, I admit it, I like to take pictures, if you want to see various vids, check this link out:

http://jtlopez.dyndns.org/gallery2