PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Storms in VA, DC, and MD

Bluerauder
06-05-2008, 07:34 AM
What a mess last night with the storms that came through this area. At about 3 PM yesterday the front came through VA, DC and MD moving at about 60 MPH with high winds, rain, hail and lightning. Trees down, limbs snapped, and powerlines down. Power outages across the region and many traffic signals not working. :( News said that there were a couple confirmed tornados pass through the area.

My 13 mile trip home took a whopping 2.75 hours. :rolleyes: Yep, a whopping 4.7 miles per hour. Burned a little more than a quarter tank of gas just idling. Traffic control was terrible. Route 1 was shut down for a tree and powerlines across the main road and not one word about the problem from WTOP, the weather and traffic channel. :mad:

No damage at home. Everything there was fine. Blue skies today. :D

Breadfan
06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Glad you made it home OK, the MM and Home were undamaged.

Yeah I was here, watching Rt 1 out our window. Luckily (I guess) we had something going on that kept me here until 7pm. So by the time I left traffic was still very heavy but not as bad as it was even 30mins before.

I had power at home, which was nice.

I had my MM parked next to the treeline in the parking lot at work, luckily nothing fell on it!

ledzilla
06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
There were some storms that came through Illinois and Indiana as well... Tornado watches and warnings, flash flood watches, severe thunderstorm warnings... Around home mostly all we saw was continuous lightening. The rain didn't fall until pretty late into the evening.

Good to hear that you guys didn't run into any real trouble. Storms can really suck that way.

Joe Walsh
06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Charlie,
I got caught in that storm heading up RT 28 from Dickerson, Md. to Frederick.
I could see the storm rolling in over the mountains to my west...REALLY low clouds that were a weird looking greenish-grey and were moving fast!
I could see a WALL OF WATER coming across the farm fields along RT 28, so I pulled over on a side road's parking area and watched it roll in.
When it hit my heavy work truck* I thought that someone had run into the side of me!
It actually felt like my truck would flip over!..:eek:
Luckily, it passed by quickly in 4-5 minutes and was then just gusty winds & rain. There were limbs and trees blown over every place I looked.

*work truck is an extra cab, 8 ft bed, heavy payload option, F150 w/5.4 triton V8 and it weighs 3+ tons.

ctrlraven
06-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah that was some crazy storm. I also saw the wall of rain coming down the road where my work is at. Rain was coming down from one direction, wind was blowing in another direction and trees were bending any which way possible. When I was watching the news I saw AAco had tons of downed trees.

BG&E reported this morning 46K + customers still without power and everything should be back up by tomorrow morning.

Bluerauder
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
BG&E reported this morning 46K + customers still without power and everything should be back up by tomorrow morning.
Between PEPCO, VEPCO, Dominion and BG&E there were more than 500,000 folks without electric just after the storm. Mine was not affected at all. Rarely is since all our lines are underground. Now if we lose one of those main 500K volt tower trunk lines, I'm screwed --- but everyone else is too.

Haggis
06-05-2008, 09:54 AM
What are you guys talking about? Nothing here at home, some clouds that is all.

TiTo35
06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
What are you guys talking about? Nothing here at home, some clouds that is all.

yesterday!!!

mike_K429
06-05-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm here this week on business, I live in MN and commute here to the program office and remote sites when required. Love DC, I get off the plane in DCA, walk to the Metro, take the blue line to the office, and later walk to the hotel. I made it to the hotel just a few minutes ahead of the second storm. Lots of "flashes and crashes" adn the rain came down in sheets.

Glad to hear that no MM were damaged (so far) Mine is safe in the garage back home.

mike

Agent M79
06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Heh. I was providing some web-based training. Thankfully the UPS kept my computers up and I didn't miss a beat while the lights flickered.

n00bkiller944
06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
The rain was pretty intense, but no power lost here thankfully! Though driving home from school in it was not too fun

sailsmen
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Hope no one was hurt. There is a benefit, it takes out the weak trees and poles, lessens the impact of the big one.

baltimoremm
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I was headed up 95. the old marauder did quite well, traffic stayed pretty steady at 40-45mph (thank God the wipers didnt start acting up at all). I was just upset at the people who would just pull over on the shoulder and wait it out, I wish they wouldve got off the main road to pull off. Its too dangerous to sit on the shoulder of the interstate in that kind of weather.