PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a carb like this?

Motorhead350
06-07-2008, 04:12 PM
I want a 2 or 4 barrel non choke. Seems like all come with an electric or manual... and I don't want one at all. This is for the 65 which has a 350 Chevy under the hood and I want to keep the horsepower low because it's simply a cruiser, I'm thinking maybe 160hp at the flywheel.

Any suggestions?

03blackvegas
06-07-2008, 07:03 PM
If its manual, then remove the pieces that make it work, and boom no more choke.

larryo340
06-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, it'll be real fun starting that engine up on a cold day.

Keep the choke, it does not make horsepower.

fastblackmerc
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it'll be real fun starting that engine up on a cold day.

Keep the choke, it does not make horsepower.
What he said....

I doubt the truck will start or stay running with no choke...... when cold.

justbob
06-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I've had more luck with used ones from the junkyard than i've had with new holley's and Rochester out of their box. As for the choke it won't give or take hp.

larryo340
06-08-2008, 04:14 AM
I've had more luck with used ones from the junkyard than i've had with new holley's and Rochester out of their box. As for the choke it won't give or take hp.

I had a Speed Demon 750 cfm, and out of the box it amazing how little adjustment it needed. With the Holley 750 I had before it didn't want to idle no matter what was done to the carb.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/larryo340/SBY-Vl3UcaI/AAAAAAAADqs/84JH6zaNYKM/IM001812.JPG?imgmax=576

Sorry for the bad picture, it was taken 6 years ago with a crappy digital camera.

Motorhead350
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't want any additional HP and I already had a non choke carb on my K5 before I made it fuel injected again. I just prefer no choke at all, less parts less problems. I started it when it was 20 outside before and let me tell you it was a better feel than any choke I ever had to deal with... but I heard Edelbrock carbs have gone down the tubes in the past 15 years, which is what I had before the non-choke Holly.

I do not need 850cfm, probably more like 550. So just remove the manual choke set up hua?

Aren Jay
06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I read the post and thought he was talking about a gun.

ezratty
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I had a '66 mustang with a 289 2bbl and bought a edelbrock 650 cmf carb with a manual choke- I didn;t hook up tha choke at first so it stayed wide open - Needless to say it would never start on its own - I would have to pop the hood and close the choke on my own - once started i would then open it. it sucked - do yourself a favor, buy a carb with an electric choke and enjoye the reliablity

Mike Poore
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Dom, get a Holly 500CFM 2bbl with mechanical choke. Hook up the choke cable and keep it in the open position when you don't want/need it. This is a very simple and easy answer to your problem. BTW the 500CFM Holly is considered to be, by many, one of the best carbs ever made. They're plentiful and reasonably priced, new or used (rebuilt) :D

High-C
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I've been running a 4150 double pumper for years on my Mustang... with no choke... with no problems starting it when primed properly. In the cold, as a daily driver, you will want one though... or not... You can always hook it up later etc... Just get that beotch running. :cool:

Motorhead350
06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I would keep my foot on the gas until I could feel the car was warm enough... worked for me every morning.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah but if you don't want to have to do that like it's a piece of junk, the choke w/ high idle cam works much better

Joe Walsh
06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah but if you don't want to have to do that like it's a piece of junk, the choke w/ high idle cam works much better

Nawwwww!!!

Who wants to mess around with all this new fandangled technology....
chokes!....ELECTRIC chokes!?....just to make yer car start quickly and run smoothly!?!?

I'd just as soon sit in the driveway and rev the crap out of a stone cold engine to keep it runnin'...
HECK!...It's even more fun to have the sumbeatch buckin' & stallin' in rush hour traffic until it warms up!

Breadfan
06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd say a good compromise is manual choke, which can always be easily removed if you don't want it or put on if you do. Plus you retain your control.