PDA

View Full Version : FIT/Procharger Owners - Air box question.

Embassy
06-12-2008, 05:49 AM
To those of you who also have FIT or Procharger kits on your Marauders, is there sealed airbox available for us?

I believe I found a thread in the FIT archives stating one was to be built but never heard any more about one.

I am searching for one since my air filter is very warm after runs and I'd like to isolate as much of the hot engine air as possible.

Thanks.

sailsmen
06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Contact DR he may sell you one of his airboxes.

magindat
06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
One of Dennis Reinhart's Airboxes can be modified to fit. Ask him to ship you one WITHOUT the MAF hole cut in it. It'll have to sit a bit further from the windshield washer resevoir than designed due to the longer filter on the FIT kit. You'll have to line it up and cut a hole and screw holes that match the MAF adapter.

Should be no bigee.

We fitted one of his airboxes to my car when we changed it to blow-through. I worked with all the various parts and definitely saw how it could work with the standard FIT set up.

Between this and the blow-thru set up venting hot air to atmosphere rather than recirculating, my average IAT's are down about 20-30 degrees from where they were before.

sailsmen
06-12-2008, 06:03 AM
If your filter needs replacing maybe change to the one DR uses.

Zack
06-12-2008, 06:06 AM
You are chasing 1-2 HP if that.
Youd be better off converting to a blow thru and a larger filter with no airbox for bigger gains.
It is proven that once the car has momentum, all underhood engine heat is swept out.

magindat
06-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Youd be better off converting to a blow thru and a larger filter with no airbox for bigger gains.
It is proven that once the car has momentum, all underhood engine heat is swept out.

Actually, my future intention is to do BOTH. not so much for HP, but for looks (diamond brite, of course) and IAT's

Matter of fact, E, if you wanna wait a month or two for me to rebuild my airbox, I'll give you the DR one I have so you can experiment.

Zack
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
The problem with keeping the airbox Embassy is the Procharger filter is TINY.
You need to get a bigger filter!

magindat
06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
The problem with keeping the airbox Embassy is the Procharger filter is TINY.
You need to get a bigger filter!
A bigger filter just will not fit with the FIT set-up... unless you relocated the MAF!!!!:D

Joe Walsh
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
I've thought about relocating the rear air suspension's compresser to the trunk, like Rich Long has.
This would open up plenty of room to install a 90 degree downpipe with a BIG air filter. It would also act as a cold air intake, being below the engine compartment.
My only concern would be turbulence created by a 90 degree elbow just before the MAF.
I know that the MAF needs smooth, laminar flow for consistent/accurate readings.
Any thoughts?

Local Boy
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Interesting how this post comes up just when I'am about to install a unique (mod) set-up that adresses both heat and air flow...and does not include an airbox...HMMMM....

It's going in tomorrow...will put up pics when I'm done....

I hope this works!!!

ALOHA

O's Fan Rich
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I've thought about relocating the rear air suspension's compresser to the trunk, like Rich Long has.
This would open up plenty of room to install a 90 degree downpipe with a BIG air filter. It would also act as a cold air intake, being below the engine compartment.
My only concern would be turbulence created by a 90 degree elbow just before the MAF.
I know that the MAF needs smooth, laminar flow for consistent/accurate readings.
Any thoughts?

It's fairly easy to do to, Joe.
I like pulling the air for my setup from the air dam, but it'd be fine from right there too.
Since the air is pulled through the filter first for me, I have experienced no MAF issues for almost two years now.

KillJoy
06-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Any thoughts?

Blow Through Conversion?

:dunno:

KillJoy

magindat
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I like pulling the air for my setup from the air dam, but it'd be fine from right there too.
Since the air is pulled through the filter first for me, I have experienced no MAF issues for almost two years now.

I was gong down this very road and even spoke with Rich on the phone cuz I was designing a true ram air, however, that dayum blower blew me right off track!!

As for the MAF, I think you're good if the 90 is nice and long and there's a bit of straight before the MAF.

You won't get any real HP. You're IAT's might get a bit better, but beware... a guy down here on the west coast who isn't a site member, did the airbox thing with his FIT kit and ended up not getting enough airflow, thereby sucking the rubber 90 on the blower inlet shut!

sailsmen
06-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Watch sucking up water. There are prefilters for JetSkis but I would not put one on w/o a Dyno Test.

The blow thru is the way to go. The throttle response is great and more HP. The idle can be harder to tune, having said that on mine it idled on the first key turn.

Dennis has my power pipe going straight down w/ filter end just above the top of the dam near the bottom of the radiator. It went thru a couple of rain storms and it did not get wet.

MarauderTJA
06-12-2008, 02:57 PM

I agree with you Zack. I have a large filter and no box. A friend of mine (Lou) with his D1SC FIT Marauder kept having problems with the rubber elbow at the blower getting sucked in killing boost. He removed the box and has not had any problems. Nor have I at all with my set-up (no air box).

MarauderTJA
06-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Rich, have you drag raced with your setup?

O's Fan Rich
06-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Rich, have you drag raced with your setup?

Tom, I had it at SSHS. So, yes!
Under my purple air box, where the compressor was, I have two 3" holes, elbows, pipe, leading down to the lower air dam. The air box is sealed with rubber on the lower edges to keep engine air out.
It'd be hard for water to get in there.

MarauderTJA
06-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom, I had it at SSHS. So, yes!
Under my purple air box, where the compressor was, I have two 3" holes, elbows, pipe, leading down to the lower air dam. The air box is sealed with rubber on the lower edges to keep engine air out.
It'd be hard for water to get in there.

Sounds interesting and well thought out. My setup is working fine for me, so I am going to leave it alone. If SSHS8 happens I would love to check it out if you decide to go.