PDA

View Full Version : $500 audiophile LAN cable

Breadfan
06-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Wow! Now this is a cable ripoff at it's best!

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/06/500_ethernet_ca.php

This really feeds off people clinging to the notion that audiohpiles need super good cables to match they're top end audio equipment. Sure in the analog since that could make a difference, but in DIGITAL audio so long as you get your 1's and 0's there this sort of cable isn't going to make any difference. Most generic LAN cables are FINE they work in high end server datacenter that need ultimate data quality, yes these same $5 cables will work for digital audiophiles. This $500 cable is really feeding off ignorance!

Save the money for more disk space to rip your CD's at a higher bitrate, or better digital reproduction equipment, better speakers, speaker cabling, etc. NOT the lan cable!

pantheroc
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Read the Comments below the link, now that's entertainment! :shake:

ckadiddle
06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Saw that earlier today. Fancy HDMI cables are another price gouge. Best Buy and Circuit City and other similar stores make their bucks on overpriced accessories and extended warranties.

RF Overlord
06-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I deal with issues like this all the time...

In the audiophile world they're not called cables, they're called "interconnects"... :shake:

Here's a story I like to tell to audiophiles when they try to tell me they can HEAR gold connectors and $400 speaker hoses:

In the early '90's, I was lucky enough to be invited to tour AIR studios in London, then owned by Sir George Martin of Beatles fame (no, I didn't get to meet him...or them). I was chatting with one of their engineers who had worked on the recently-released Dire Straits album "On Every Street". I mentioned to him the American fascination with ludicrously-priced "Monster" cables, gold connectors, etc...he rummaged around for a minute, then held up an ordinary-looking grungy TRS plug and told me that that particular patch cable was used in transferring the audio from one of their $250,000 24-track machines to a DAT machine for making mastering copies. He said "every note on that record went through this plug. Do you really think by installing a gold connector on the CD player in your house, you're going to improve the sound quality?". :D

Aren Jay
06-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a number of Monster cables for my Home Theatre system. The only thing that lets me down is my equipment they connect.

However, for most people, something like 95% of people can't hear the difference between 128 bit MP3 and CD quality. I'm not one of them and CD is bad quality to my ears. SACD is much better but again limited by my Equipment.

Now I'm not going to spend $500 on a cat5 cable, but I will spend a $1000 on all my Monster speaker wiring.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't understand how people can think 128k mp3's are CD quality. I can't even listen to XM satellite radio because of the horrible quality digital compression. I'd rather listen to analog FM.

crabby125
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
what a rip off, you have to be a moron to by those cables. When I went to buy my xbox360 I was looking at the prices for their HDMI cables. They wanted $100 bux for HDMI cables???? You can get them Dirt cheap on ebay for a fraction of the cost.

Monster wires are just a rip off, just do the ebay route and get the same guage wires for much cheaper than what the stores are charging.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Is your Crown Vic w/ the marauder wing, the same as a Marauder, at a fraction of the cost?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

crabby125
06-19-2008, 11:35 AM
LOL,

No its a Marauder with the 32v engine Delete. :D

larryo340
06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Now that's funny
:laugh:
LOL,

No its a Marauder with the 32v engine Delete. :D

sailsmen
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a modified AMC Tube CD player that is excellent.

My 28 year old $250 Record Player blows it away.

ckadiddle
06-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I have all my cheap-azzed audio and video crap connected with cheap-azzed cables. :)

I have two Marauders to care for and feed.

Breadfan
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
I still like how people were still arguing about whether or not the cable makes a difference in the comments on that article.

It boils down to this, high end critical data centers with sensitive info use bulk UTP cable that for 5ft cost probably $1-2. These are critical data centers that CANNOT have data loss in digital transmission. Good, well built bulk cable is great. (Cheap poorly made bulk cable is another story)

A basic well made LAN cable you can buy premade for $3-7 from a good computer shop is more than what you'd need.

I'll tell you all what if you want a good reliable LAN cable for digital audio transfers, you've come to the right place. Breadfan will make you a custom length datacenter grade LAN cable for only $50. Considering the above is $500, I'm brining the $450 of savings straight to you! Your digital audio never sounded so good until you used a true "Datacenter" grade cable build to strict Breadfan standards.

crabby125
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Its not as good as the Crabby125's Lan Cable. It costs $100, but It was blessed by Steven Speilberg and George Lucas. As a bonus you will receive a custom high quality CrownVic.net banner.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/crabby125/img032.jpg

playtoyregal
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
On analog equipment cables make a huge difference. This is the same debate we always have. Most people are so used to crappy stuff, that they cant tell the difference between mp3, cds, or records. A good record player with good cables going to all tube equipment will always sound best. I am not talking monster brand cable, but real cables like Analysis Plus, Audioquest, Kimber Kable, and all of the other ones. Now in the digital domain, that is another story.