PDA

View Full Version : Adding hitech stuff to a new house.

Aren Jay
06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
So I'm looking at building a new house, and want to use some higher tech "stuff" than is normally used.

How should I ask for this to be included?

What I want:

wierd stuff

1. http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/productDetail.pdf;jsessionid=2 78D5BF48841C63C78EB47119159738 8.jvm1?productId=100X100C0045W 36T

wrapped around the house before drywall, or sandwiched between drywall... To cut the RF interferance, cell phones, radios, tv, satelite...

Hitech stuff

1. http://www.solsmart.com/sdhw.php

For pre heating water, for showers and the like with a tankless water heater.

I also would like to have an infloor water based heating system in the floor. I'm having a bungalow (one level) built so it is really the best solution. My sister has this with geo thermal heating but that costs way too much for my scale of house.

2. http://www.backup-power.ca/catalog/item/4133529/4000095.htm

this is a solar system, solar cells on the roof next to the hot water solar system and it works by charging a set of batteries that give or suppliment power to your house during the dark hours. The solar cells give a small boost during the day and will even feed power back into the grid when excess power is not used. They pay you...

It isn't a complete solar solution but works with the grid and will keep a number of items running during power failures for 24hours to a week and then at a much reduced rate critical items during the rest of the time. The power failure on the east coast a while back proves that this is possible and even little powerfailures are blocked with such a system. The solar cells work even when it is cloudy, at a reduced rate, with ultra violet light that penetrates clouds.

3. In floor heating system. In the basement it is in ceiling heating on the main and only upstairs floor in floor radiant heating. Really reduces the dust that flies through the air that happens with forced air systems.

4. Cylinder type solar sky/sun lights. Little round portholes that bleed sunlight into darker rooms from the roof.

For the hitech stuff, I will just ask how they can incorperate it in to a new place, but how do i get them to wrap everything in copper mesh?

:) No more tinfoil hat for me.

Haggis
06-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Anything is possible as long as you have the money.

Canucksmarauder
06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Sure you want to cut holes in the roof!? Never a good idea in Canada:( How windy is it around your house? Wind power is an amazing thing. What about Security. I had a PTZ camera installed that is controlled via the web:) Flood the are with IR and your ready to rock:)

P

not5-0
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't forget a urinal!!!!

Windsor58
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Why do you want the copper mesh? It will attenuate any signals coming in or going out. Your cell phone may not work in the house. Radio and TV signals will also be attenuated If you have cable or a dish, that may not be an issue, though.

hidperf
06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Closed cell foam spray insulation. I used it in my rehab of my 100yr old, all brick, flat roof house and it made an amazing difference in heating and cooling PLUS noise level.

Aren Jay
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Radio may be a problem.
Tv will be dish or cable.
Internet is cable.

Might be a problem with the RF shield.

The sky/sun lights are sealed with a collector and a mirror like pipe that reflects the sun into otherwise dark rooms. Internal bathrooms, walk in closets, etc... No air flow and less heat loss than a window.

They are called Sky tunnels:

http://www.velux.ca/products/sunTunnels/

Aren Jay
06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
My other option, depends if the current builder I'm looking at doesn't want to under take any of these upgrades, is Mike Holmes. He is building a bunch of houses out this way, in Okotoks, a town outside of Calgary I grew up in.

I don't have any problem moving back there and a Mike Holmes house would be a great investment. I would have to postpone my moving plans for 6 months but it might not be a bad idea.

http://www.holmesonhomes.com/Holmes_Homes/Holmes_Homes.htm

similar to this one:

http://holmesonhomes.com/lien_on_me/

Has the solar stuff, water recycling, roof top garden, etc... Kind of funky looking but made right.

Blk Mamba
06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
You need to create a safe room in your new home, there are many new products available that can give security in times of home invasion, that will allow up to a week of concealment.

Aren Jay
06-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I prefer, the Gun route.

Haggis
06-17-2008, 04:25 AM
I prefer, the Gun route.

Keep the guns in the safe room and put firing ports in the wall.

jdando
06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
So I'm looking at building a new house, and want to use some higher tech "stuff" than is normally used......

But how big is the garage???

In floor heating would be wonderful in the winter.

The tankless water heater is an interesting concept. Kind of costly and has some "special" plumbing/ventilation requirements. Probably better to build it in than add it on later.

We just remodeled our kitchen so no new house for us :cool4:

LordVader
06-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Why do you want the copper mesh? It will attenuate any signals coming in or going out. Your cell phone may not work in the house. Radio and TV signals will also be attenuated If you have cable or a dish, that may not be an issue, though.

It's so they can't hear my thoughts. Tin foil used to work, but this stuff is "hitech".

Windsor58
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I ask because the technology exists for someone to sit outside your house and monitor things like wireless internet usage, wireless and cell phone conversations, computer useage, TV emissions and other things...

Aren Jay
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I was thinking more of all the wireless internet connections in a neighbourhood, Cordless phones, cell phones, cell towers, radio stations, tv stations, satelites (TV Radio GPS ...) Ham radio towers powerlines etc... Grounding is important and depending on the event simple Copper mesh will work to protect you and your stuff inside. A Mag pulse requires much more protection and grounding.

Also prevents the TV police (something they have in England) from knowing how many tv's you have.

You could easily have a couple hundred signals going through you right now. In a city core or apartment block even more.

Windsor58
06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Understand You night also look into shielding for your electric power wiring. On the exterior walls you can run the wiring behind the mesh. On interior walls, you will have to add shielding.