PDA

View Full Version : Manure

Aren Jay
06-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Subject: Manure... A True Story

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to betransported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer'sinvention, so large shipments of manure were common.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methanegas.

<o:p></o:p>
As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could(anddid) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term"Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stowit high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Taemian
06-18-2008, 05:54 AM
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.asp

Please consider finding a new hobby.

Urban legends always get the gullible.

So you don't start unneccessary threads in the future: Elvis IS dead, bedwetting at age 40+ ISN'T normal, and size DOES matter.

Haggis
06-18-2008, 06:57 AM

So you don't start unneccessary threads in the future: Elvis IS dead, bedwetting at age 40+ ISN'T normal, and size DOES matter.

HEY!!!! Be nice or his imaginary friend will beat you up!

Blackmobile
06-18-2008, 07:14 AM
There's another thread.

Who would win, an imaginary friend vs an invisible friend?

Breadfan
06-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I think his real name is Jack Handey :)

Bluerauder
06-18-2008, 07:48 AM
But you have to admit, he finally got a Thread Title that is appropriate to this crap. :bs:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Him and dominick should get their own "story hour" forum so it would be easier to skip over

Blackmobile
06-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I second that motion!

Taemian
06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
A resounding third vote for that!

de minimus
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
C'mon Ian, I get the feeling that you don't find these threads fascinating, scintillating and informative.

And by the way.....

Elvis IS dead, ......
Wrong! He lives next door to me....I borrowed some a cup of peanut butter from him the other day.

Taemian
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
C'mon Ian, I get the feeling that you don't find these threads fascinating, scintillating and informative.

And by the way.....

Wrong! He lives next door to me....I borrowed some a cup of peanut butter from him the other day.

I meant Elvis PRESLEY, not Elvis COSTELLO. Sorry, shoulda been more clear....my bad.:)

BTW, not going to challenge my other two assertions? :lol:

We have to get you to the track sometime. Check the Mission Raceway site so Derek and I have something to plan for!

freakstatus
06-19-2008, 12:20 AM

Guess you have a year left to kick the habit then, eh?;)

ParkRanger
06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
[URL]Elvis IS dead, bedwetting at age 40+ ISN'T normal, and size DOES matter.

Elvis is dead!??? :eek: WTF, I just saw him in concert in Vegas the other day!
Was he sick or something? I can't believe this -- Elvis dead! :alone:

freakstatus
06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Subject: Manure... A True Story

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to betransported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer'sinvention, so large shipments of manure were common.

ffice:office" /><o:p></o:p>
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methanegas.

<o:p></o:p>
As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could(anddid) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term"Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stowit high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

In order to find this out, one would have to Google the word "manure" or "*****". Why would you do that?

Haggis
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
For *****s and giggles...:dunno: