PDA

View Full Version : Summer car?

Aren Jay
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
So I had an entirely joyful drive in my Marauder today, I need summer tires but will order some up pretty soon. I would also like to get a winter car so I can supercharge my Marauder, plus a few other options, and have something to drive in the winter.

Now since my last winter car poll, the options have changed, somewhat.

Yes the Smart car is an option, not a really good option but an option never the less. The prices of the Navigators have fallen dramtically, due to gas prices, but not as much for the better lower mileage ones. And less for the red with tan interior ones. Looking for a good 2002 without sunroof...

Then this Reatta caught my eye. Does what the Smart car does, somewhat, drives better in the white stuff and has much more cargo room. Looks more comfortable too.

So today i was looking through some pictures on my computer, car pictures, and while I can't afford a 2006 Lexus RX400h yet. I noticed that the current prices of the Phaetons are entirely reasonable now. 32K - 75K miles V8 or W12, as fast as the Marauder, NA, and with as good of mileage, for the V8. AWD, Big seats front and back, not sure aobut the head room but there are a couple locally available so I can go for a test fit. :) Might be worth consideration again. There is also the A8L Audi's also much more affordable now, not as inexpensive as the Pheaton's but pretty nicely priced.

So should I make a Poll?

Why not.

Windsor58
06-19-2008, 06:11 AM
The Phaeton is/was a nice car, but reliability could be an issue. I had an 04 V-10 Touareg (there was a lot of shared parts/technology between the Touareg and the Phaeton) and in the first two years, it spent 6 months in the shop, had the engine/tranny out twice and needed to have it out again when I got rid of it. The average VW shop doesn't have the talent/skills to work on such complicated cars. Mine had something like 15 computers. 8 of them had to be replaced (one twice). The list of other parts that got replace would run a couple pages. I have a 3 inch thick binder with all the service records.
I loved driving it (when the info display wasn't flashing errors). It was quick, quiet, smooth and when I kept my foot out of it, I could get 30+ mpg on the 27 mile commute home from work. Not bad for a 6,000 lb+ (with my fat butt in it) vehicle with full time 4wd. Snow up to 20 inches didn't even slow it down.
I got the Marauder after I got rid of it. I am much happier with the Marauder. When the snow gets deep, I just drive my Bronco.

Canucksmarauder
06-19-2008, 07:36 AM
IM with Windsor58 on this one. These older cars are great but the cost of fixing them is crazy!!

P

Aren Jay
06-30-2008, 10:44 AM
results have improved in the poll.

So I was pricing out with install the 4.10, Kooks and exhaust, Tune, CAI, Pulleys, New MAF (good one), Electric water pump, Driveshaft brackets and progard.

That is about the same as a SC.

Now there are SC issues and cold weather, but when It gets cold I tend not to go anywhere. I suppose If I had to go some where I could rent a FWD in an Emergency. Which also might be cheaper than having a second car. Must look at my automobile club thing again.

Too many choices, no money.

RUSTY
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
If it is an issue, you could always bypass the snail (s/c) in the winter, or is that to much work?

Aren Jay
07-02-2008, 01:02 AM
You mean like the SC in Mad Max?

RUSTY
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
How hard is it to install or remove a Vortec?
No not like Mad Max, but that would be cool.