PDA

View Full Version : Oh Great

RCSignals
08-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Something else they'll write on the visor "dummy" label

DRIVING IN THE RAIN OR ON AN ICY ROAD
An individual had a wreck a couple of weeks ago and totaled her
Lincoln Town Car. She hydroplaned on Hwy. 135 between Gladewater &Kilgore, Texas.
She was not hurt, just emotionally rattled!
She learned a lesson I'd like to pass on to you. You may know this already -- but the highway patrolman told her that you should NEVER drive in the rain with your cruise control on. He said if you did and hydroplaned (which she did) that when your tires were off the road your car would accelerate to a high rate of speed (which it did). You don't have much, if any control when you hydroplane, but you are totally in the hands of God when the car accelerates. She took off like she was in an airplane.
She is so thankful she made it through that ordeal. Please pass the word around about not using cruise control when the pavement is wet or icy. The highway patrolman said this should be on the sun-visor with the warning about airbags.
The only person she found out who knew this (besides the patrolman) was a man who had a similar accident and totaled his car. This has made her wonder if this is not why so many of our young people are dying in accidents. Be careful out there!

TripleTransAm
08-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a hoax...

LincMercLover
08-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Der...

TripleTransAm
08-24-2003, 07:36 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

'Nuff said...

Zack
08-24-2003, 08:15 PM
You know Ive been reading posts now since last October. I still cant understand how someone always has a link to something important or not. How do you guys do that?

TripleTransAm
08-24-2003, 09:06 PM
google.ca

or any other search engine.

RCSignals
08-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

'Nuff said...

well it says it's true. But they still don't have to write it on the visor label. Soon that label will need a fold out.

RCSignals
08-24-2003, 09:17 PM
and BTW, I personally know people who did the ICBC web page with all that info, and they couldn't tell you what variable speed wipers are compared to cruise control.

Fourth Horseman
08-25-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm sick of these design oversights on the part of Ford/Mercury. CLEARLY my car should have control surfaces for airborne flight. How the hell do they expect me to maintain control in such a situation without ailerons and rudder!?

RF Overlord
08-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Fourth: ROFL!

As to the rest of the post, irrespective of whether the story itself is true, I'm surprised to hear that ANYONE would be using cruise in anything other than clear, dry conditions...I thought everyone knew this, either from driver ed, or reading, or movies, books, TV, whatever; it even SAYS it in the OWNER'S MANUAL, fer cryin' out loud... :rolleyes:

...but, then again, I personally know people who shouldn't even be a PASSENGER in a car, nevermind DRIVE one... :shake:

RCSignals
08-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Fourth: ROFL!

I'm surprised to hear that ANYONE would be using cruise in anything other than clear, dry conditions...I thought everyone knew this,

Ah, now see, if was writtten on the driver's visor........

nhinterceptor
08-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Coming from a technical support background dealing with end users and distributors, most of their questions were answered by the manuals they had. RTFM could be heard often after hanging up, You just had to release the built up pressure from stupid people who don't do a thing to help themselves.

Could you image what would happen if they had a 007 car and didn't read the manual :D

- Dan