PDA

View Full Version : what does an Impala drive like?

Aren Jay
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Now a Friend used to have a Caprice Classic and after coaxing from me switched up to a Lincoln Towncar, which he likes more but it drives a little bit different. I was thinking of picking up an Impala but am wondering what it drives like. Fast is fine but how is it the rest of the time?

Local Boy
06-22-2008, 10:05 AM
You got to hold on real tight to it's ears, or it will throw you off at the first jump...

ALOHA

Blackmobile
06-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Watch out, it can turn around and bite you.

DOOM
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Get one and find out.

Aren Jay
06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
So no one knows.

Blackmobile
06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Isn't this a Marauder site? You might as well be asking the torque specs and sequence for the head bolts of a Honda.

TAKEDOWN
06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Post #2 and #3...You guys are CRAZY!

Blackmobile
06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Post #2 and #3...You guys are CRAZY!

We weren't the ones asking an Impala question on a Marauder site. Every comedian needs a straight man, and I couldn't resist.

TAKEDOWN
06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
We weren't the ones asking an Impala question on a Marauder site. Every comedian needs a straight man, and I couldn't resist.

:lol:I know, I know...I had problems typing after I read the threads, you guys are still crazy!:lol:

Blackmobile
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
:lol:I know, I know...I had problems typing after I read the threads, you guys are still crazy!:lol:
I for one can live with that answer now. :beatnik:

offroadkarter
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
When you go to turn, the steering wheel might fall off, and when you shut the door, the door panel may as well....

The interiors on all the B body cars were cheap, i have a friend who had a 94 9c1 caprice and he had door panels coming off. the SS isnt much better.

69marquis conv
06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Like a drunk sailor.

what does an impala drive like?

TiTo35
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Why not find one and drive it? Kinda hard to tell someone how a car drives via the Internet.

nomad
06-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Maybe you should start a poll?

Raudermaster
06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Isn't this a Marauder site? You might as well be asking the torque specs and sequence for the head bolts of a Honda.

Most of his posts really have nothing to do with this site anyway.

quota
06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
If you think about a recent Impala - the FWD model - it drives like a drunk cow. On the SS, though, you better grab the horns. Otherwise, the violent steering torque would throw the thing in all directions.

JP

03Farmmarauder
06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I love my impala's. All kinds of bottom end. The marauder with 4:10s is a better car. the impala doesnt handle as well either.

Aren Jay
06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
I meant a 94 or 96.

Not a new one, I wouldn't take one if you paid me.

bigbillybbs
06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
I am in a good mood so I am going to let this post slide…….

offroadkarter
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I am in a good mood so I am going to let this post slide…….

You've got a friend with an SS B body, tell him to get his @rse in this thread :D

mmssdriver
06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
is there a problem here? :coolman:

----
13 year old, 4400lb GM cars generally need updated suspension work at this point no matter how many miles are on them.. Most wont find ones under 95 to 100k ..especially 9c1's which are a different suspension setup then the SS anyway.. With replaced stock suspension parts id say the impala rides equal to the marauder. (have driven both) Yes the air-ride on the marauder is a beautiful thing on the highway, With a solid front end and the right springs and shock and tire setup.. the impala can float down the highway like the cruiser it was built as and still hold its own at any autocross event..

And yes i hate the interior quality of the door panels but thats typical 90's car technology,
and they dont fall off.. lol

check this- http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Impala-SS-Just-a-bunch-of_59823.htm

mmssdriver
06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
no debate? lol

wchain
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Having owned lots of Panthers and lots of B- Bodies, I have to say, the B-Body is like a Meat Cleaver, compared to the Panther, or MM more specifically like a Surgeons Scalpel.

Both can cut, just in different ways.

The LT1 had its own issues, the optispark aka opticrap, a weak 4L60E, and other minor annoyances but both cars have pluses and minuses.

The MM has more handling finesse and ergonomics, and the Impala has more Brute Strength and GOBS of low end torque...
That car could spin the tires rolling from 10 mph.

Heres the last B-Body I had
http://images103.fotki.com/v413/photos/4/41821/468357/P2250100-vi.jpg

Note the MM tips on a B Body....
http://images103.fotki.com/v414/photos/4/41821/468357/P2250102-vi.jpg

mmssdriver
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Nice... Beautiful car man.. MM tips actually look decent.. how did they affect the sound tho since they are resonated?

and yeah the opti is a horrible design however it was considered cutting-edge technology for its time. And the main reason everyone has problems with it is because they take cheap shortcuts in replaceing the opti and the waterpump, and since most of the bbodys are now at close to 100k. thats the actual life expectancy of those parts unless you do it right the first time you will almost deffiently hit problems.. However.. if you do it right with the "expencive parts" you shouldnt need to touch it again for another 100k.. which those lt1's if taken care of have absolutely no problems getting too..

of course the MM has more ergonomics its 10 years newer. but you cant tell me you didnt like the SS seats..

wchain
06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
THanks! I miss her now and then! Actually they were delete tips.

I can replace a B Body Opti/WP in about an hour and a half now. My first opti replacement took me about 8 or 9 hours, of course that included new plugs and Wires, and stopping to bandage up my sliced hands. AC Delco Opti replacement failed 3 days after I put it in, so I had to do it again. Now I got it down pat.

The MM seats are better IMO. THe SS seats were too cushy to hold you in spirited driving.

beauimpala
06-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I had an SS before getting the Marauder. I prefer the Marauder over the SS in that it's handling capabilities are far superior. Going around a corner in the SS felt sometimes like you were driving a whale. The acceleration I thought was obviously better in the SS. The interior in the Marauder though is far superior. The seats in Marauders are always criticized. I think they are much better than the SS. I wouldn't trade my Marauder steering wheel controls for anything either. I'm lost without them. The rear seats in the SS seemed to have more room, but how often do you ride back there. My opinion about the appearance on the outside is still more biased to the SS. That big B body just gets my attention more, and I think it looks better. If I had a chance to own another one again I probably would. I still love my Marauder though..........No doubt about that.

Just my opinions
Bozo

mmssdriver
06-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh for spirited driving the MM seats deffinetly are better.. SS seats don't hold you in at all but they are comfortable.. theres not enough "oh ****" handles in the SS either..

yeah ive done the complete tune up on the SS .. its not that difficult if you have decent mechanical knowledge.. one major problem also with the opti's was that there were way too many factory screw up's and in the mid 90's alot of the american car manufactures had quality control problems with alot of there parts.. but you gotta give a little to get a little sometimes yenno..

bigbillybbs
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
HAHAHA
WOW Bill there wasn’t as much grilling. I figured it would be a lot worse.
I guess the Marauder forum is a little more relaxed then the Impala forum….

Ralph Sr.
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
my new 2008 impala ss v8 ,is 500lbs,lighter, 12"shorter,4"less wheelbase,
about 6" less wide, horse power,303-323 torque, 5.3 mm 302 horse,318 torque 4.6 quarter mile mm-15.4,, chevy 14.5 and 4 mph faster. really cant compare these, mm handles much better, rides better . gas mpg very close. impala handles, poor, torque steer, fast, even with ford mustang v8 gt. in winter ice, snow , impala by far. if i lived in florida, mm with 4.10 rear,headers, tune ,etc. would be best !!!!!!!!!!!!! ralph sr.,my brother is snooky

mmssdriver
06-26-2008, 07:50 PM
08 SS is a nice car but not even close to the Bbody platform they used to be.. its wrong wheel drive..