PDA

View Full Version : I saw a clown car.

Aren Jay
06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I had to laugh it was blue with a huge hood mounted intercooler scoop, looked like it covered 60% of the hood. I laughed and laughed then realized it was a new Subaru & supposed to look cool.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/STI08whitefront1.JPGhttp://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/STI08bluefront1.gifhttp://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/STI08hoodscoop1.JPG

BAD MERC
06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
The scoop on these is cars IS functional. It is a boxer engine and this scoop feeds air over the turbo. It becomes a clown car when a kid converts it into a 2fast2furious joke.

Aren Jay
06-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Functional maybe but the smaller Legacy one is much better looking.

GordonB
06-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Don't challenge a 'Clown Car' unless you are packing an SC and major mods. Thye have a 1000# weight advantage. They will embarass you also. FWIW!
GordonB

quota
06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
You would be surprised how a "clown" can go fast. And if he/she is serious about driving, I suggest you do not try too hard going after him in winter.

JP

Aren Jay
06-23-2008, 12:05 AM
I used to have a Subaru, I know all about them.

And whatever I don't know Joe Spitz does.

Yes an Sti is fast, but not that fast. If they don't clutch drop they are not very fast at all.

See the 5-60 mph times of the WRX and STi. And if they do a clutch drop more than twice they are going to be leaving several teeth from their tranmission behind.

The 6 speed STi is not as bad but the WRX is almost glass like, but only if abused.

With an automatic, they are great fun to race and beat. Repeatedly.

And if they do not have the clown scoop they are dead slow. I have driven every model from 98 to 05. On the Auto Legacy would challenge a Marauder and even then only when it is wet or snowy.

Manual transmissions though it is up to the driver.

Merc220A
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Id drive it. Doesn't look to bad to me.

Breadfan
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree with you. They look like clown cars.

I think the older ones looked better now it looks like a hatchback Kia with a scoop.

Isn't the legacy the bigger car though, WRX/STI is an impreza

Aren Jay
06-24-2008, 01:08 AM
The current Legacy is a little bit bigger.

The one I had was only slightly smaller, and the first ones were about the same chassis size as the current Impreza. The Impreza has grown a little bit, about 3 inches.

Yes the Legacy is the bigger car, but not much bigger.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't know how they could get any uglier than the previous gen WRX's. Those were pretty damn ugly cars.

Breadfan
06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know how they could get any uglier than the previous gen WRX's. Those were pretty damn ugly cars.

Oh yeah I forgot, you mean the ones with the Tribeca-like triangle grille thing?

The model with the round headlights and the one just past that were OK looking, just not hte STI with the giant wing.

Eric-Blk2004
06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Yea those cars are fast - and they are fast in every sense of the word. whats the point of uni directional speed? These cars can drag with respect I have seen several in the mid 12s, they out corner and out handle a lot of cars throughly. They are great on all around speedies out of the box.

Catless and a tune from Franz in KTR and with mild up grades and you could be eating 11s and driving circles around us.

But yea the hood scoop is the funny part....