PDA

View Full Version : Eibachs, Sway Bay and Stage 1 installed

LCpl Retired
08-25-2003, 09:11 AM
I picked it up from Tasca F/L/M in Providence, RI on Fri. First Class Operation. Top to Bottom. Period. You can tell the place is "enthusiast owned and operated". Very Sad I did not purchase the vehicle from them in the first place, if the sales side is anything like the service side, and I am quite confident it is, it would have been a pleasure.

10 hours labor, (plugs, stat, gears, sway bar, springs,)..made me buy the new rear bearings too @ $120.00

I had the computer reflashed prior to the installation of the 4:10s and did drive it that way for a couple days. It was set up for the lower ratio so (very) occasionally it would have that "somethings not quite right in the shifting pattern" feel that the car has when stock. Still, the performance difference is notable. I was starting to think the rest of the package may be a waste of money , especially after reading here that some thought the gears give no advantage, and that it is all the "chip" , and then Dennis's "less than enthusiastic" review of the Eibachs. I was very sad when dropping it off. But I already had the stuff so I went for it.

Keep in mind that I am coming here after almost 20 years of older V8 Mercedes ownership, cars I drove not because someone else was impressed by the way the grill looked, but impressed me in that they were a big powerful whale that could be thrown into corners and powered out like a sports car, and accelerated like the hounds of hell when up into the cams; and did not look the part. None were new, and couple were actually left in primer (in my younger years), but all were real cars. The steering was heavy,the ride was stiff, the seats were stiff, the guages real and correct, the engines made the right noises and the transmissions would bark though the gears when pressed. They were also All very bad when they finally broke. Sometimes very, very bad.
All were highway stars, None was a drag racer.

I didn't want to change the rear end ratio.....

Dennis LEANED on me till I bought the 4:10s. I really DID NOT want them, but he was so insistant on the change, I figured I would give it a shot, and I could always swap them back out if the thing howled like a drag geared big block on the highway.

He was absolutely correct. Despite how some may or may not see gains in the 1/4 mile, the way the thing drives is much better.
It really feels just like it should be. The torque curve and transmission gear ratios all work together now for a MUCH improved vehicle. Light throttle, medium throttle, up hills, country roads..and Highway....the right gear is always there, ready and eager...WOT the transmission now snaps right through, bangs them out like it is supposed to. Turns 3000 at 90mph ..(.so whats that ...170 theoretical top speed for those worried there?)...and downshifts pulling hard in third to wherever you want to go. 60 - 100 comes on Right Now, none of my feared loss....
Is it the chip? plugs? stat? gears?....who knows?...who cares?...but together everything works just great.

gas milage seems to have dropped from 22 to 18...but I was running it pretty hard through a variety of areas.

NOW...I also did the swaybar and eibachs. I did them together so I cannot comment on one or the other...but....For Me...The combination is FINE. Fortunately I do not experience the "bouncing" that Dennis had. No question the car follows the road contours Much closer than it did, but the control in my car is better. IMHO it (the springs and sway bar)from stock is about the difference from a grand marquis to a marauder. The ride is firm, NOT harsh, steering is heavy and rock solid at all speeds. The car rides more like an aftermarket prepped German car, (AMG/M/RUF/etc) firm, but in no way a ricer pounding on its bumpstops. The only rattle this morning through Providence on 95 at 80 mph (45mph section!) (!..5:05 am no traffic) was my briefcase latch, and the open coffee cup in the drink holder didn't spill a drop. My 72 mile commute took under 55 minutes.

Crappy old patched roads will feel rougher..but they are rougher!, and years of off roading make me always look for the best "line" anyhow!

not for everyone, but I think its a great improvement...again, IMHO...The way the car is now..Stage 1 AND Susp...IS the way it should have been...and I wonder how the reviewers would find it now???

With the stage 1 and susp, WOT on a nice entrance ramp, 2nd gear now kicks the back end of the car out about 3 ft on the shift, maintaining perfect composure all way around (except for my wife who is saying "stopstopstopstopstop")

oh..it sort of looks cooler too...people actually notice it a little bit now, and the Silver Never gets noticed....but thats ok

TAF
08-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Well done and well said LCpl.

And welcome to your 2nd delivery of your Marauder. It IS like night/day...isn't it?

Excellent descriptions on the new handling, too. I've tried to describe it...you did a much better job.

martyo
08-25-2003, 09:42 AM
^^^^What they said!^^^^

TAF
08-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by martyo
^^^^What they said!^^^^

What? You countin me as 2? "They"...

:censor: you!!! :lol:

03SILVERSTREAK
08-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Hey did you ever think of selling this write-up to F/L/M . it sounds
Like a great sales pitch for there 04's when they come out .
Congraulations on the change... :banana2:

LCpl Retired
08-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Do they HAVE a sales pitch now?? Guess any would be an improvement!!

:(

martyo
08-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TAF
What? You countin me as 2? "They"...

:censor: you!!! :lol:

No Dopey, I meant you and the LCPL!!

(even though you do have those big size 13 pontoon boats for feet!!)

TAF
08-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by martyo
(even though you do have those big size 13 pontoon boats for feet!!)

You know what they say...big feet......

Big shoes.