PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do Tent Camping?

Eric91Z
06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I was just curious if any of you ever do any tent camping. If so, what areas do you normally do that in (state parks, national parks, family trips, etc)? Also, couple of other questions:

1) What kind and size of tent do you use?
2) What kind of sleeping bag do you use?
3) What do you consider necessary for a camping trip?
4) Do you ever includes kids with you?

I am kicking around ideas on things for my daughter and I to do on a regular basis and to help build that father/daughter bond. Things that she will enjoy too and something that you can carry on for a lifetime. I like being outdoors as does she and I was thinking camping would be an affordable option and even if we just went to local parks that allow camping it would be worlds away from "normal" as far as she is concerned (she just turned 3 years old).

Some day I want a boat, too, and want her to grow up around that, but until that time comes I was thinking camping might be a nice option.

Thoughts or input?

jonroe
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh my do I have a sad (MM related) story here................

I'm not a camper and usually avoid the "opportunity". Last weekend I decide to go with the family and (foolishly) offered to use the Marauder with the huge trunk. The trunk worked out great for all the camping crap BUT...............my paint job got royally SCREWED. We were in central Maryland and I guess it was caterpillar season. Friday night through Saturday evening there was a non-stop rain of caterpillar crap (literally) falling from the oak trees. Then Saturday night rain followed by Sunday morning with hot sun. The caterpillar crap has etched my paint job just like bird crap and I'm screwed. I talked to a detail shop this week and he says it really can't be fixed. The spots will remain. He said he could compound the paint but fears for swirl marks. I've opted for him to just to a good detailing to brighten up the paint and make the spots less noticeable. I am very disappointed and really wished I had not taken the Marauder or knew when it was NOT caterpillar season. I have taken my cars on other camping trips with the worst thing being pine tree sap which can be carefully washed off. This time.............NO.

Eric91Z
06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I've got the CVPI as a daily driver. Wouldn't ever think of taking the Marauder. And some day I plan on picking up a 1/2 ton 4WD pick-up, too (but that is a ways down the road).

So it must be reachable by Crown Vic!

Bluerauder
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Thoughts or input?

I had the opportunity to do lots of camping both with (and without) tents over some 20 years in the US Army courtesy of my Uncle.  We tried camping a little as a family; but some enjoyed it more than others. As to your questions ….

I bought a Camel 2-room, 14’ by 10’ Family Cabin Tent with an awning (rain fly). The only comparable tent that is saw was from Trek for about $150. The tent had a zippered divider curtain between the two rooms, 4 windows, front and back zippered doors and a rip-stop polyethylene floor built into the tent. Center height was 9’ and sides were 7’. No interior poles to get in the way.

We used Coleman Moderate 20*F-30*F zippered bags that came with a flannel lining. Could be fully unzipped to use as a cover/blanket. Cost ranges from about $39.99 to $49.99 each.

Air mattresses or cots
Nearby facilities (i.e. restrooms and wash facilities). This is a “major” consideration for the ladies in the group
Camping stove or grill
Camp lantern, flashlights, extra batteries
Portable radio or TV (news and weather reports)
Kitchen supplies & utensils (i.e. coffee pot, frying pan, pots, grill fork, tongs, spatula, gloves/mitt, mess kit/plates, cups, etc.)
Leatherman or Coleman Camping tool
Pocket Knife
Folding Shovel
Camp axe
Insect Spray
First Aid Kit
Cooler
Food, beverages and water
I am sure that I missed something --- you’ll remember about 15 minutes after arriving at the camp site.

Most kids enjoy the camping experience. My kids loved it and saw it as an adventure. The wife was less into it and kept having dreams of a 6 headed snake entering the tent. She considers the Ramada Inn as roughing it. I must admit that my tent has seen more action in the backyard than it has anywhere else in recent years. My kids were about 6, 8, and 9 when they got interested in camping, boy scouts and girl scouting.

Three may be a little early to start; but who knows. Just remember that every kid is different – they each have different likes and dislikes and will develop them on their own as they grow up.

Pops
06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
We did it as kids and had a great time! Go for it and not only your daughter but you will have a lot of great memories from the trip!

Local Boy
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
We camp as a family 1 or 2x a year...The kids just LOVE IT!!!

Go for it, brutha...You and your child will have a great time...

ALOHA

BTW: Stay in the safe areas, where phones, other campers, and hopefully LEO's patrol...

DJCV
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not a camper and usually avoid the "opportunity". ........I guess it was caterpillar season. Friday night through Saturday evening there was a non-stop rain of caterpillar crap (literally) falling from the oak trees.

I'm not a camper either, but I took the wife & two kids and joined another couple of small families for a group outing back during Memorial Day Weekend. I have never seen so many caterpillars in my life; and, yes, the constant 'rain' of crap was simply unbelievable. But all had a great time, and the kids are so resilient (and/or oblivious) that they remember only the FUN and almost none of the hassles. ENJOY!

Aren Jay
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
The Weasley tent is the best.

Other than that I wouldn't even consider a tent, except maybe a Marauder tent...

Upon consideration I might use a trailer tent. Again take a garage tent for the Marauder to keep the Caterpiller droppings off it.

This is perhaps the minimal tent I would consider.

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/floorplans.php?id=146&mod_id=703

ParkRanger
06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I was just curious if any of you ever do any tent camping. If so, what areas do you normally do that in (state parks, national parks, family trips, etc)? Also, couple of other questions:

I am kicking around ideas on things for my daughter and I to do on a regular basis and to help build that father/daughter bond. Things that she will enjoy too and something that you can carry on for a lifetime. I like being outdoors as does she and I was thinking camping would be an affordable option and even if we just went to local parks that allow camping it would be worlds away from "normal" as far as she is concerned (she just turned 3 years old).

Some day I want a boat, too, and want her to grow up around that, but until that time comes I was thinking camping might be a nice option.

Thoughts or input?

Ever since 1969-1970 Army stint I don't tent anymore!!! :shake:
I'll go ....... but there better be a Hilton and a good restaurant nearby.

PR :burnout:

Aren Jay
06-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Teach her to play poker, you can do while camping.

Ozz
06-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I would suggest camping in your back yard first before venturing off to the wilderness with a 3 year old.

I don't know if Iowa has this but in Michigan, you can check out all the state parks online and even make reservations. There are options for 'rustic' (no facilities) or 'modern' (w/ showers, toilets, electricity at the campsite, some have water at the camp site), etc.. I would strongly suggest getting a modern camp site.

Another option that my wife and I did was to rent a camper. We did that one year and loved it.

TiTo35
06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I was a boy scout but before boy scouts is cub scouts...the cub scouts went camping for 1 night and the boy scouts did 2. Now granted...I have no ide about Iowa...if thats were you plan on camping. BUT, I think for a 3 year old...camping in the wilderness is a no no. Camping at a campground maybe cool, but the backyard is a wonderful place to start. If you want an outdoor father daughter bonding thing...start off with just going to the park or the zoo ( my daughter just turned 2 and we took her to the zoo) or fishing. Do something that will work her up to camping. :twocents: