PDA

View Full Version : tired of sandbags and water..

Hacklemerc
06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I have been filling sandbags and watching the Mississippi slowly rise here in Il. My National Guard unit got the call last saturday afternoon and have been working since later that night. Floods suck.

I'm stuck in a little burg named Kinderhook and running up and down the levee from the bridge into Hannibal Mo to Quincy. Hopefully if the river drops we'll be able to go home this Saturday but it looks doubtful.

I miss my MM. oh yeah I miss my wife too...

Just wanted to vent.

Pops
06-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey thanks for the work and devotion you are giving to the local people. It is not easy to do this when you know what could happen.

jgc61sr2002
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Hopfully the river will recede soon.
Thanks for your dedication and good work.

JMan
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Dude, you're a hero to those people and some of us too! Thanks for your service to mankind!!!

J

Taemian
06-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Suck it up and soldier on, HM.

(Hey, at least I didn't tell you to "Move out and draw fire"!)

Seriously, keep your throat wet and your feet dry. Be safe.

rumble
06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Having been born (many, many years ago) just a few miles north of where you are I know what you are going through.
I have relatives buried close to Kinderhook and as a young lad I have thrown many a sandbags at that ole Mississippi.

Some times we won, some times we lost.

Bless you for your efforts.

TAKEDOWN
06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Your hard works will pay off ten fold because of your good deeds, imagine what other people will miss if that flood wipes out their homes, communities,etc. Your doing a great service, I salute you!

Hacklemerc
06-24-2008, 08:47 PM
thanks for all the well wishes guys. Its appreciated. Its hard work but yes it is worth it. Hopefully all the work we've been doing will keep the river at bay and we will keep everyone dry. Our mission to patrol the levee tonight has been cancelled due to weather so hopefully everything will be good for the evening. staying dry is the hard part. Looking forward to a nice cold one when I get home...

sandbags suck tho...;)

Black bart
06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
:burnout:We salute you and your unit for your devotion to duty, self-scarifice and protecting your fellow Americans in their time of need.

Hang tough and keep your powder dry

With sincere gratitude

fred

Eric91Z
06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Keep up the good work. Thankfully the area I live in was not affected by the flooding, but not a few miles away is where one of the levees actually broke here in the Des Moines area.

Whether they tell you or not, there are people you are helping to save their homes, businesses, and general livelyhood. We thank you for that!

Aren Jay
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
time to start building stilts for all the houses.

You would think after all the Asian wars and constant sand bagging, another Asian war by product, that people whould have learned to use the Stilt house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt_house

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Pfahlbauten.jpg/800px-Pfahlbauten.jpg

Stilts do not need to be poles, they can be big blocks of concrete.