PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to paint?

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I am painting interior parts of my 65 Chevy because I cannot drive it right now. One of my problems is I have the paint dripping at times, right now it's the dash. Does anyone know what caused this and how I can fix the drips? I'm guessing I have to sand it down and do it again a little more careful.

Any suggestions?

TAKEDOWN
06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Doesn't Marauding4life do that stuff?! He found me a passenger side view mirror cover, sanded it, painted, glossed and wet sanded it to perfection. Maybe...he can help, I believe all you have to do is feed him! LOL!

Rocknthehawk
06-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Dom,
It would help if you can tell us what you're using. I'm assuming you're using basic spray paints. If this is the case, you're too close, or not moving fast enough. Remember, more light coats, not less heavy coats. Even if it takes an hour of doing light coats, it will look much better than doing two heavy coats.

Ideally, using a spray can, you want to be 6-8 inches from the surface you're painting. If it looks like it's starting to build up or sag, you're not moving quickly enough. Move steadily from one side to the other, in a fluid motion. Start spraying your paint a few inches away from the edge, so that the paint doesn't have a buildup where you started (for example, don't start in the middle of the panel, start spraying on the outside, and then stop spraying after going past the other side). Also, keep your wrist straight. Many people have the problem of "arching" their spray, so the middle is covered more than the edges. I also like to do a 25% or so overlap, to avoid streaking, and provide even coverage.

To get rid of your run ("drip), you could try wiping it away if it's not completely dry, then waiting till it dries and sanding it out and trying again, or just wait for it to dry and sand it out.

If you're using an actual spray gun, it's the same basic idea, but then you've got to deal with the gun settings.

DOOM
06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
If you have a bad case of the drips you may need to go to the clinic :lol:

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I am using a can of Duplicolor Flame Red and I am painting the dash from inside the truck. It's welded in so I cannot remove it so I taped everything I do not want red and will tackle the rest of the cab tomorrow.

I will go a little further away and keep my wrist straight. I don't know if I can paint upside down too well let alone on a dash. The doors were easy, but this dash is something else. Thanks for the suggestions Thunderbolt and Andrew maybe I should call Bob!

rvaldez1
06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Also, make sure you are using the correct paint for the correct material. Regular spray paint will not stick to plastic or vinyl. Also, make sure the surface has been cleaned well...rubbing alcohol should work fine.

Rocknthehawk
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
i wouldn't recommend trying to paint upside down...

and if it's easier, go to home depot or something and get the little clip on spray gun. It's a plastic handle that makes it more like an actual spray gun, using a trigger.

Motorhead350
06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
The dash is metal like the whole truck is. :)

Aren Jay
06-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Drips mean too much paint.

As mentioned above, put less paint on.

Painting up side down doesn't work, use a smaller can of paint if the big one doesn't fit the space.

You could always take everthing off and electro plate the whole works. Gold, silver, copper etc...

magindat
06-25-2008, 04:47 AM
TB makes good sense and is right. If the location to paint is awkward to get the distance and light coats, then move FAST. Let heavy coats completely cure, sand and hit 'em again or clear them. The key is... take your time.

ImpalaSlayer
06-25-2008, 04:54 AM
you can not rush paint or it will ALWAYS look like ****

baltimoremm
06-25-2008, 05:49 AM
have you considered getting the parts powdercoated?

ImpalaSlayer
06-25-2008, 08:50 AM

he just said he cant remove the dash = no PC

Motorhead350
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM

The dash is bolted in and welded. People on a truck form said it's a pain to get out and even worse trying to get back in.

Here is an idea as to what I am working with....

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/images/smith_anthony_1966_05c.jpg

playtoyregal
06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I would sand it down with 400, wipe down with grease and wax remover, let dry and use thin coats of paint. make sure you wear gloves, you finger oils with fight the paint. Also I am assuming you are painting just metal, right. If it is plastic you will need to use other types of paint.
any other painting questions just let me know.

justbob
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Dom, you can have my old touch up gun you'll love it. I just picked up a new set of divilbis guns and no longer need. Go to any auto paint store for a quart of your red and the base maker mix. Don't be scared, they will guide you through the hole process and you should get everything you need for a reasonable price and the result will be way better than spray cans and last a lot longer. Now lets talk red meat.

Motorhead350
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Bob I will call you soon, I'd love to exchange food for guns! :D